cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone have any specific strategies for chasing big bonuses?

Zombie
Core Shopper

I love couponing (most of the time) - the number/puzzle game, saving money, etc... but I HATE chasing big Ibotta bonuses. I'm currently contemplating whether or not to chase this new Lunch Money bonus...

I can MAYBE plan out 1/2 of the offers for this one (potentially enough to get my WWB), but it's always gonna be hit-or-miss with next week's offers. Sometimes there won't be anything good, but if I've already (hypothetically) made those other purchases, I know I'll feel like I've invested too much into the offer to give up. So whenever this happens, I find myself torn between stressing out figuring how to get those last X offers in an economically-prudent manner or just giving up because it isn't worth the effort.

Does anyone else experience this?

Do you guys have any strategies for chasing big bonuses?

How do you decide when to chase and when to pass on bonuses? I know the obvious $$ vs # of offers + time to complete, but what about when it's close?

Like my LM bonus is for 32 offers. I'd definitely chase for 18 offers with the same amount of time, I'd probably chase at 22 offers, but 32 is REALLY, REALLY stretching for me. Especially considering I don't know of any small consistently-refreshing offers in my offers right now. 

10 Replies

Re: Does anyone have any specific strategies for chasing big bonuses?

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@Zombie  I used to love chasing bonuses, but now I just don't have the time.  Like you, if I find myself getting close to finishing a bonus, then I feel I have to chase it to complete it. I used to go to Walmart and knock out 18 offers in one trip, buying whatever would come out free or close to free. Many of us will stack with other rebate apps to bring down our OOP.  Some people will buy gift cards to use in the future (as buying a gift card counts as an offer).

Yes, this is supposed to help us save money (and have fun), but if you are stressing yourself out, just step away from your phone and call it a day. 

I've had quiet a bit of luck at WF lately, stacking Ibotta offers with sales (where you get a 10% Prime discount too). My latest strategy is to pick away - a little here, a little there, but with a bonus of 42, not likely at all, and I just have to accept that. 

RCKCreatEnt
Deal Expert

@Zombie there are plenty of cheap offers, or at least there should be, 25-50¢ cash back for $1-$1.50, i.e., I recently bought a Snickers bar for $1.50 and got a quarter cash back at Kroger.  

I redeemed the Goya ORGANIC chick pea offer (15¢/$1.59) many times, I got more cans of it than I can shake a stick at.  Recently, however, Ibotta is offering a double dime-a-roo cash back but requiring the purchase of TWO and I haven't since partaken of that 

Oh yeah, Breakstone's cottage DOUBLES.  I think they're routinely discounted to a $1.25 apiece at Kroger and on any given day as an Ibotta offer you could get a quarter or half buckaroo cash back 

I routinely tell newbies to INTENTLY rummage Ibotta daily and maybe multiple times a day, at least the pages of retailers readily available in their home area

cheryl_123
Core Shopper

I live in a small town so a lot of things I'd love to buy and try aren't available, which makes it very challenging for me to go after the big bonuses. However, I have picked up some best practices from others in this forum and formulated my own strategy for getting the higher value bonuses.

For example, I started saving my receipts to pick up one or two extra items once in a while. Yesterday I bought yogurt that didn't have an Ibotta offer, but today an offer showed up for an any brand yogurt so I scanned my receipt to pick that one up. This allowed me to finish my WWB and July bonus just in time!

Another thing I do is monitor the expiration dates on offers and try to pool those offers with longer dates in preparation for taking advantage of a nice bonus. I keep a running list of these offers to keep track. This means that I sometimes pass up smaller bonuses. Plus there's always some risk in waiting as offers can disappear.

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@cheryl_123  I'm with you, load your ANY offers!  I just completed my $1/10 WW.

MeLMeL11
Skilled Saver

Do what works for you. @Zombie 

I pass on some bonuses, and some I can knock out in one trip. I would say if it becomes stressful...then let it go. Lots of planning goes into this, and some times I just can't find the time to do it the way I want. So I may just wait for the next bonus. And to be honest, unless something is FREE or near free, once you hit a big bonus, do you really need 28 more items in the next 5 days for the newest bonus 🤷‍

...dont forget this is a marketing app 😜 they WANT you to shop!

It is relaxing to me in general though to go through offers and jumping on the community page, seeing everyone's wins and deals!

As far as strategies I like to "double dip" with the ANY offers and just simply plan my meals accordingly based off the best deals. So if is see tuna, buns and a box of ritz...well there are 3 offers I can get by planning on making tuna salad. This works for me and my family. I will say the beverage category is very easy and probably under used by people. I can usually get 5 to 8 offers each time in that area.

Best of luck.....😎

TXbelle
Rewards Advocate

@cheryl_123 , I do the same. I learned to have restraint when I could buy multiples of an offer that I can use several of. For example, a box of mac and cheese: I would be glad to have 5 packages but if I buy the minimal amount that would stack the Ibotta rebate with a coupon, making each package cost less than 50¢, then I can wait for the offer to reappear and do it again. Not all reappear, but alot do, often in 24 hrs. This works best for the longer term bonuses stacked with the weekly ones. I finished my WW yesterday at Kroger, Walmart and Whole Foods and today most are back in my galleries, ready for me and for the Aug level 1 and hopefully the new mwmm. 

I don't get carried away with the bonuses at the expense of the final cost of each item but these bonuses do add up. Makes my shopping a game. To keep me somewhat same, I don't use alot of savings apps-- just Ibotta, coupons.com, and store apps. I don't want to get overwhelmed and lose the fun. I might add apps slowly if and when I think I can handle it.

cheryl_123
Core Shopper

@FelskyNY @TXbelle yes, I live for the any item/any brand and reappearing offers with this app!

Zombie
Core Shopper

@MeLMeL11 @FelskyNY yeah, there are definitely times when I take a step back from Ibotta / couponing in general for a brief while. I'm not quite there yet, but I'm getting somewhat close to taking another break from chasing deals.

Hmmm.. if I stop chasing bonuses for a while, I wonder how many months it would take before I would see a reduction in the number of offers required for my bonuses....

Zombie
Core Shopper

@FelskyNY I didn't know that buying gift cards could count towards bonuses! How does that work (do I have to go through a specific part of the app)?

At other people who mentioned kroger: I see so many awesome, cheap deals mentioned for Kroger (and affiliated stores), but sadly I don't live/work within an economically practical distance from any kroger affiliated stores ☹️

0 Likes