cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Latte Bonus Back

Sorensoj
Skilled Saver

@Saipan  😂 I thought that was probably what you were alluding to and thought I would check it out.  

0 Likes

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@Sorensoj 

If you can use your own unicorn name, I am compelled to do so as well out of sheer allegiance.

I am a graduate of the greatest university on the planet (aka Purdue University), and our seal includes the griffin.

So from here on out, I shall speak of long treacherous journeys where I seek out griffins.

What the.....?   What is a griffin

(Where should one go when they want the unabashed truth........well Wikipedia of course.....lol)

A griffin is a legendary creature with the body, tail, and back legs of a lion; the head and wings of an eagle; and sometimes an eagle's talons as its front feet. Because the lion was traditionally considered the king of the beasts, and the eagle the king of the birds, by the Middle Ages, the griffin was thought to be an especially powerful and majestic creature. Since classical antiquity, griffins were known for guarding treasures and priceless possessions.

(Without further ado, said university seal in all its glory)

Rickibotta_2-1632092091428.jpeg

“about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. BOILER UP!! Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"

Saipan
Deal Expert

@Rickibotta

I just checked The List , your prerogative is validated.

I did find "Chimera" by J. Spencer, a number of years ago. Played on track 12, "Hard as H3ll" of Ant Banks second studio album "Big Bada$$".

*Minor edit from original post

0 Likes

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@Saipan 

Never heard of this one.  Where did you pick this one up from?

Has an old g-funk Oaktown feel to it.   A lot of this stuff sounds so much the same from the 90s.....lol.

My favorite  "song you never heard before"  is Peace Treaty by KAM.    Nice bass-heavy song that I heard one day on the radio when they were playing album cuts.  I bought the cassette just to get that song.

Honorable Mention:   What U Waitin For by the Jungle Brothers

Check out those two songs if u dont know em.

“about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. BOILER UP!! Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"
0 Likes

Saipan
Deal Expert

@Rickibotta

Yeah, I have the Kam album. DJ Pooh and the L____ Mob were solid.

I probably have heard the Jungle Brothers track, but did not follow them heavily.

Once upon a time.... 

Now I got you, it was a true Chimera (Griffin) for 15 years for me. I only saw the video like one time in 1991. I would periodically search for it here and there, but no one ever knew what I was talking about.

First, I am assuming you know the track by House of Pain "Jump Around", probably a lot of others too. Well the DJ on that track, DJ Muggs is also the DJ of Cypress Hill and the first few Funkdoobiest albums. But before all that, he DJ'ed for a group 7A3.

Now many probably haven't heard of 7A3 but they had one album, and I wanted a copy. We are talking like '92, before the' net, social media and all. So I knew the record company that produced the album, so I called information, you know, 411 😆, to get the number for these folks in Cali.

411, Information provided me the number and I called. After speaking with them, they told me I need to call the distributor. I said cool, "What's the number?" 😁

I think the distributor might have been in Colorado. Anyway I call them. By now I feel like I am making some headroom. I speak with the distributor, they tell me I need to talk with the regional point of distribution. So I say, "What's the number?" 😅.

The regional group was in Indy. I relay my story to them, that this album is not mainstream but I want a copy. So they advise me a need to go through the local record shop to order a copy, they just can't sell me one, but assured me the local place could and make my order there. 

I knew the place. It wasn't one I frequented, but this was a serious matter. The guy at the shop had been briefed by the regional rep before I got there. He said, "Man, this must be a really good album." 🤣  So I placed my order and the disc came in a few days later. 

For aficionados, DJ Muggs hadn't really developed his signature "screeching" noise found through most of his other work. I think anyone will agree it is noticeable in "Jump Around".

Now wait a minute, that was the setup. Remember I said I searched 15 years. 7A3 was like a week or two. Here is the true gotcha.

I was about to go to work, Winter was setting in in mid December. I was home alone and it was snowing outside. It was coming up on 5:00 PM and I needed to hit the door. I decided to take a chance, because it had been a while and run a quick web search for "Many Faces". Or was it "Many Fazes". 

Whoa, what was that. This could be it. I had stumbled upon an obscure UK website that specialized in CD Singles, rare ones in some cases. I hit the link and there it was after 15 years. 

Had I been hip to the fact the group was British, I might have found it a lot sooner. Anyway, if anyone wants to be hip. 

Many Fazes 

0 Likes

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@Saipan 

Wow.  Was going down a youtube rabbit hole. 

I never knew DJ Pooh produced the absolute best diss record ever, No Vaseline.

I have always somewhat gotten House of Pain and Cypress Hill confused,  Maybe it is just me, or maybe it is because of DJ Pooh.. I will circle back around in a minute....

So your vid link.  I head never heard Many Fazes.   The song Im Hip had a nice feel to it.   Sort of a chill joint like Aint No Half Steppin BIG DADDY KANE vibe.  The way they played off each other so well (not their sound)  reminded me of 3RD BASS.  Pete Nice was straight up nasty yo.  Do you know he went to Columbia?   (No I don't mean South Carolina or Colombia).  I mean this fool went to Columbia University.  All that education and still rocking hard with a cane.   One of my favorites, in spite of Pop Goes the Weasel...lol

Circling back.........I remember when 3rd bass toured with Cypress hill and Naughty by Nature.  So all roads today lead back to Cypress Hill.

I love 80s stuff.  I stumbled onto this.  It is like part Fly Guy/Fly Girl, part  Roxanne/Roxanne's Revenge , part Lets Go All the Way.  For this song, they stole so much, even Vanilla Ice should have objected.  A little nod to Siugar Hill Gang at the end with his flow.  This song is sick!!!  (Ima gonna check out the cuts on YT for 7A3)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-ddz17MuhI

0 Likes