cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: No current bonuses

Saving4Fun

@FelskyNY 

I don’t photograph everything, and I only take photos of UPCs when submitting for credit on a missed offer.

I do, however, keep an overall photo inventory. At least once a month, I open my kitchen cabinets, refrigerator/freezer, storage closet, and bathroom cabinets, to take overall photos. I believe that’s what helped me the most, because I was able to show proof of possession for everything except what you’d reasonably expect to be consumed.

I’ve seen several people talk about donating to the needy, and while their intent is good, that might not be how Ibotta would view it. As a company, Ibotta is very generous in its support of nonprofit organizations. It would not be a sustainable business model to allow every user to purchase and donate.

Of course, if you bought too much toothpaste and after a couple of months,  decided to donate it, that’s not going to cause an issue. You didn’t buy it with the sole intent to donate it. If you’re buying things and turning right around to donate it, that’s another story.

I don’t know how strictly Ibotta enforces this part of the terms and conditions, but it’s worth noting that all purchases must be retained by the user. I have seen unverified reports on other sites where users were blocked temporarily and given a stern warning for this exact scenario. 

Be-Bop-A-Lula
Deal Ambassador

@Saving4Fun Thank you for all of the information.  I never considered taking photos of my stockpile, but definitely will now.  Great idea.

0 Likes

Saving4Fun

@Be-Bop-A-Lula .You’re welcome. I’m happy to share my experience as one of the few to break that glass, so to speak. As I said, I don’t want to cause panic because my situation was very unique; however, it’s always a great idea to keep a good record of all your possessions. If the IRS ever comes knocking, I’ve been well-prepared during the past few months. It’s probably not surprising that my dad is a retired federal agent, which included service at the Department of Treasury. He taught me to take an annual video inventory of everything in my home and anytime a major purchase is added. I’ve never needed it, but If, God forbid, the next big hurricane is a direct hit, or someone breaks into my home, there will be no way for the insurance company to question me. 

0 Likes

Nikcodymom
Saver

So I just want to understand more of the chances or reasoning of audits....I previously asked this question on another thread and @Icequeen813  did answer but I still have questions 😬 I am not a fine print reader, yes I I know I should be, and I’m not a receipt saver in these things, however after reading this I’m thinking I need to start???  My sister has done Ibotta for years and I jumped onboard about a month ago and went straight to shopping and rebating.  I always make sure to read the quantity I’m allowed and redeeming at the appropriate store but do I need to save all my receipts and take pictures of what I purchase?  I may totally be overthinking what I’m reading but I still want to make sure I’m doing this right and have what I need just in case it was to happen to me.  TIA 

0 Likes

FelskyNY
Ultimate Saver

@Nikcodymom   I think @Saving4Fun was a unique case.  I keep my receipts for that month by throwing them in the drawer - no filing system whatsoever.   Overall, the choice is yours.  I personally don't save everything to back up what I bought, but if you have concerns, sure, why not.  I keep the receipts and the UPCs, but once the receipt is approved and credited, I don't worry so much about it. 

Saving4Fun

@Nikcodymom, as I said my situation was unique and extremely rare, so don’t panic. That’s the last thing I want to create. However, it’s always a good idea to keep detailed financial records and an accurate inventory of your possessions. If your home is ever damaged by a natural disaster or someone breaks in, then it will help tremendously to have photos, videos and detailed records of your possessions. I take an annual video inventory of the contents of my home. I’ve never needed it, but if, God forbid, the next big hurricane is a direct hit, or if someone breaks in, there will be no way for the insurance company to question me. I do not photograph individual purchases, but I do take monthly pictures of what’s in my cabinets, storage closet, etc. I would keep your receipts for at least a month or two, and if you don’t want to keep all that paper, you can save them from the Ibotta app to your hard drive or cloud. If you want to know how to do that, just let me know. 

Nikcodymom
Saver

@FelskyNY  @Saving4Fun  Ok....that’s making more sense to me.  Kinda only panicking because well I have a burn box for receipts....I keep it till it fills up and then we burn it and pretty much every receipt that I had from starting has well been burned.  So yeah that made my heart race alittle 😳😂 I usually keep a receipt on my table for about a week after submitting then into the box it goes.  Definitely not here to make a bunch of money on this or give it all away because as a cafeteria lady and my husband a plant worker we work way to hard for what we get and saving money where I can is my only purpose. I definitely want to make sure I do it the right way!!
 I appreciate y’all answering my question and always giving me the best advice!!!  It’s so appreciated!!!!!! ☺️☺️

Janet1964
Deal Ambassador

@Saving4Fun 

Thanks for the advice. I did not realize that I could be audited by Ibotta. I did however lose my entire home to a fire in 2013 and my insurance company was awesome in that I had sold Tupperware and AVON for 20 years and had at least one of every piece including some sold only in foreign countries that I had won as prizes. I cooked a lot for veterans at the time and had a several sets of the same item like 4 cake takers, 3 thatsa bowls, etc. the adjuster took my word for it as he saw a lot of melted plastic. So I replaced most of it. But it took months for me to itemize every item in my house. He told me to go room to room and think of everything in that room. He suggested a video diary as i replaced the items. I was still thinking about it two years later when I realized items I missed.

I keep all my Ibotta receipts in an envelope by the month, but never keep photos of the items. I do keep a list of items that I donate  in that months folder. If someone is in need, I like to help  in any way that I can. I just don’t like handing out money to ANY organization as there are too many scams these days. The VA hospital calls me when they have a veteran in need - sometimes food, clothes or personal care items. I never give the person or the VA money, but I will purchase the items and give it to them and of course the VA requires a paper trail, so it has become habit.

thanks again for the info.

0 Likes