cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price Adjustments at Checkout

What-Shot
Super Saver

Ok, so this is off topic (following @FelskyNY's wandering example).

Shoppers who pay attention to the prices that ring up on the register regularly notice errors that need to be adjusted.  Typically the cashiers are agreeable to making the adjustment on the spot. While I appreciate the prompt adjustment on my order, I never see any hint of the cashier or store making any effort to correct the problem at the source.

It concerns me that the next customers making the same purchase will unsuspectingly pay a higher price than posted in the store, unless they keep their eyes peeled on the register.

~ibotta.like.you.mean.it~
8 Replies

Re: Price Adjustments at Checkout

MeLMeL11
Skilled Saver

Stop by the service desk and ask to speak to the manager....prob more likely to get the source fixed. Some good cashiers may follow up on it, but prob not likely. Depends on the store to be honest. It's not likely a Wal-Mart or big box store cashier can go back and fix it directly...but a smaller store like a CVS or Walgreens they might.

@What-Shot You are a good person thinking about others! 😎

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@What-Shot  Oh 100%. I often find shelf prices in Target dont match what rings up and no one cares. They will fix it for you but the next person pays the full price. How about when there are peelies? Unless you peel them off, the cashier RARELY will take it off independently. Clearance prices are also notoriously wrong.  I do find that Whole Foods cashiers are great.

Here's a true Felsky tangent...  I was going to say the cashiers "by in large" are great. However, when I looked it up, it actually is "by and large"!  Then again, I dont think I use this expression in everyday conversation.  Here's the task...see if you can use "by and large" sometime this weekend in conversation.

Xiao
Deal Ambassador

@What-Shot  I just noticed something similar at my local Target. They had the incorrect sale tags for totally wrong products. For example, Post cereals, which were at regular price of $4.99 but it had the 2 for $5 sticker tag for Krave cereals. They were nowhere near each other. I also noticed something else, so I notified the customer service but the guy was like, ‘we often move things around, so they (his colleagues, I presume) are putting the price tags in advance’. It made no sense to me, at least for my fave, Post cereals, because they’re are always on the top shelf in the cereal isle and they haven’t moved in years. Besides, that’s a shady practice. 
What if some customers saw the sale price tag and thought they were on sale and didn’t check the price at the register? That’s why I always read those tags carefully and even check the UPC. 

What-Shot
Super Saver

@Xiao  Yes, indeed! Actually, I sometimes even take pictures of shelf tags so I can show the cashier if a crazy price pops up. 

I am old enough to remember the day that certain stores would advertise that if the customer finds mismarked items (higher than posted), the cost would be refunded and the item would be FREE to the customer. 

0 Likes

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@What-Shot  I do that too.  Take a picture but it's never free anymore, they just fix the price.  Some stores will honor a sale price if the sign is still up.  Other stores, nope.

What-Shot
Super Saver

I had this issue today at Albertsons Market (United Supermarket). The shelf reported READY Sport Drinks were on sale for 1.69. Since ibotta had it as an FAO for 1.99 (not to mention Albertson's had a DC for BOGO free) I would be getting 2 bottles and snag a 30-cents MM.

Of course, they rang up at 1.99....Thankfully I had a handy dandy pic on my phone of the shelf tag. It's a lot of effort for 30-cents, but if I knew my effort was benefiting the next customer who purchased the product it would be more than worth it.

0 Likes

Loves2Save
Skilled Saver

Yep, happened twice today alone. Although the first one is more human error.

1. He rung up lemons even though I had limes, a .60 different for 3, not crazy, but still. 

2. Purchased something that was on clearance as bogo, purchased it in other locations before too, always rang up correct. I remembered that HT actually has a price guarantee, if it rings up incorrectly you get the first one free and the rest should get adjusted to the correct price. Had them refund total that I paid. The strange thing about that policy is, if you notice it as you check out and inform the cashier, the policy doesn’t apply, only if you go to customer service after check out. I was at self checkout and had a dc for that item and truly didn’t realize until i looked over the receipt. 

0 Likes

Rickibotta
Deal Master

Kroger.

At one time, my store used to give you items for FREE if marked incorrectly.  At that time they were able to fix the price in their system and did so immediately.. For a very brief time, they would actually do it on multiples.

Then they changed it so they would honor shelf tag price on multiple identical items..

Now they only givev you the shelf tag prices on the first item.  Most of the newer workers are not aware of it at my store, but I am steadfast in getting the adjusted price

I suppose this a policy that varies by location.

“about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. BOILER UP!! Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"