cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tell Me A Story!

Sweisman0612
Shopper

How did you first meet your Lover Ibotta?😘 Here is my story.

A long long time ago...in 2020...I lost my job due to Covid19. My husband was having to work extra hours to try to put food on the table. I put my pride aside and decided to apply for government assistance. I have never needed to ask for help before but things were getting really tight. I was approved for food stamps and was told to download the FreshEBT app. This app was able to tell me new job openings, provide coupons to local stores, and offered different ways to help ssttrreetchhh your benefits. And there it was. An Ibotta advertisement that said I could make $20 for buying groceries. Of course I was skeptical but I needed to know more. I downloaded the app and realized that if I bought certain groceries, I could make money back! Now...before Ibotta everything in my pantry was a store brand item because-lets face it- they are cheaper! BUT now I could purchase brand named items, receive a portion of that cost back, and once I reached $20 I could get a gift card as a reward! This allowed me to treat my family to pizza at places like Domino's, purchase school supplies online thru Amazon, or even get household essentials like toilet paper at Walmart! I couldn't believe it! Being able to provide my family with things that I didn't have cash on hand for! I must admit that there is a stigma around receiving government help but knowing that I didn't have to worry about putting food on the table and NOW not having to worry about the little things that my family before never had to struggle with was a HUGE burden off my shoulders. To date my current lifetime earnings is $825.61. I'm not a millionaire from using Ibotta...but I am a grateful parent to have found such a wonderful opportunity to be able to help my family during this pandemic.

Super Saver Stephanie
4 Replies

Re: Tell Me A Story!

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@Sweisman0612  Thanks for sharing your success story.  If you can figure out how to save the smallest amount for the biggest reward, that's what it's all about. A lot of us started out as bonus chasers.  How much can we save in the shortest amount of time on the most random of products. For a long while, I played the Ibotta bonus game. That's why when 2/3rds of the board is filled with "teammate" requests instead of "Hey, here's a great deal you can copy", it becomes a bit frustrating.  I am now 100% responsible for making decisions regarding my 89 year-old mother with dementia who lost her partner less than 1 month ago.  We are scrimping and saving to save every nickel so she can stay in her apartment with a live in aide (who makes more than I do).  I know that although I love my mother, I cannot live with her or have her live with me and still continue to be her daughter. It has taken me back to when my 1st son was born and money was super tight. I used coupons and mailed upcs in to get baby food coupons. I traded coupons and still used dial-up. When my son transitioned to formula at 6 months, I used various forms of formula (whatever was cheapest or I had a coupon for). I joined baby club after baby club, and used whatever diapers were cheapest, on sale or on clearance.  That shopping cart in the front of the store with day-old or clearance items was always my first stop. Never be too proud to ask for help or share your story. Instead, be proud of what you have accomplished.   Welcome!  Glad you chose to join us.

Sweisman0612
Shopper
And thank you for sharing yours. So many people hide the hardships that they face and just reveal the good stuff. The hardships are what allow us to be APPRECIATIVE of the success! 🙂
Super Saver Stephanie
0 Likes

Janet1964
Rewards Advocate

@Sweisman0612 

Awesome story-thanks for sharing! I was also skeptical when I joined, but it has been awesome. I love to chase the bonuses and I get to help others at the same time. When I find a great deal, I buy and donate those items to local people in need (single moms, elderly), veterans in the hospital  long term and local food pantries. Most people donate food or get food assistance, but cannot afford paper products and toiletries and items that it doesn’t cover. I try to donate those items. My husband says I keep more toiletries in stock than the stores! Lol My local VA Hospital calls me when they are running low. It is a calling for me I guess. I have been doing it for over 20 years with just coupons, now I combine it with coupons to save even more money. Therefore I can help more people with the same amount of money. I still work full time, so I set aside money every week for this purpose. In my younger days, I struggled to make ends meet and someone helped me through the hard times and all they asked me in return was to help someone else- pay it forward! I am truly blessed!

Donna2
Deal Ambassador

I joined ibotta in Nov 2020. I stepped down from my career in property mgt after a serious incident occurred (story for another time) that led to mine and husband's decision for me to retire early and be home and available to myself and family more. We had planned for me to retire in 5 years but since it came earlier than planned, tightening the $$ belt and finding ways to save save save is very important to our financial plan moving forward. I also needed things to do that would keep my brain challenged and plenty of physical activity. Ibotta is one of the things I do that has fulfilled that for sure! I'm approaching the $1000 club just since Nov and have a nice stock of essentials like laundry detergent, bath essentials, coffee, etc...etc. I made homemade gift baskets full of bodywash, shampoo, razors, shave cream make up for the girls and lots of other goodies for each of our kids(all grown ups) and also some care boxes of stuff for my son in the Army and some of his buddies that couldn't be home for christmas. I choose to shop in-store rather than on-line for the physical activity mostly, but also partly because linking in Ibotta seems to have a bit to many problems in getting $$ back. I absolutely love my experience with Ibotta and work it daily for maximum benefit.