cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trick to ward-off risk of receipt being flagged as duplicate

What-Shot
Super Saver

Ever gone ibotta-ing with a teammate, and both of you purchased identical items, thus, totals & date were the same on both receipts (even tho item flavors & payment method was different)?

That's the perfect scenario for one of you to get your receipt flagged as submitting a duplicate (except at Walmart stores that print barcodes on their receipts). If it's happened to you, you already know how long it can take to get it resolved (trying to defend yourself that it really was a different receipt than your teammate's). 

Here's an easy little trick to avoid the "flag" in the first place: One of us agrees to add one single item to the receipt just so there will be a tad difference. Typically, I add a single banana (anything inexpensive but useful). And just like magic....your receipts will not be identical to to ibotta's auto-scanner. 

Problem averted! 

~ibotta.like.you.mean.it~
7 Replies

Re: Trick to ward-off risk of receipt being flagged as duplicate

Dana
Deal Expert

I've never had that happen to me. My friend and I shop the same things and we never have that issue. If you have a different email and phone number for ibotta then it will not happen especially if you live in 2 different houses.

0 Likes

What-Shot
Super Saver

@Dana 

Perhaps it was not clear that I was referring to in-store purchases at receipt scan stores. Speaking from experience, it has happened to us

I'm happy for you that you have not experienced this issue. 

0 Likes

Dana
Deal Expert

We only scan receipts as well we don't link anything and it shouldn't happen if you have 2 different ibotta accounts.

0 Likes

Donna2
Deal Ambassador

@What-Shot I'm so glad you brought this up! My daughter FINALLY decided to give Ibotta a try after seeing how great it's been for me. We are going to do the first couple shops together and will have identical items. I will let her know SHE has to pick up the additional item tho as I figure since I raised her technically she owes me millions of dollars as it is lol.

0 Likes

Donna2
Deal Ambassador

@What-Shot BTW, I do recall seeing another post a ways back where two roommates that shopped together had the same thing happen and each had separate accounts.

0 Likes

What-Shot
Super Saver

Hope it helps,  @Donna2!

I agree with @Dana that is should not happen but the fact is that it does happen.  Yes, teammares means we each have different accounts and such. Different receipts also mens they have different receipt numbers,  different check out times and different payment methods. But ibotta's auto scanner does not detect those details.  Only the Items and receipt total.

Ibotta-Addict
Core Shopper

I've also had that experience, @What-Shot.

Sometimes when I get brave that an ibotta offer will return, I will do the purchase in advance. In such cases, I may have 2 "apparently identical receipts" that I submit myself. The "trick" you mentioned also is a good way to to avoid flagging when we submit both receipts ourselves.

Walmarts in my area also have the barcode printed on their receipts, so it NEVER happens with Walmart receipts. YAY Walmart receipts! Certainly wish all receipts had such a friendly relationship with ibotta!

0 Likes