cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Are you Pre-Paid rich?

Lollykins
Core Shopper

@FelskyNY  I think we're on track.  If not, at least by 57.  It got a lot easier once our son was out of college & living on his own.

Hubby says when we retire he will buy an electric or hybrid car and drive me around town to shop deals & complete my FA jobs.  LOL  

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@Lollykins    Wow - out of college and living on his own - things I dream about for my kids.  My boys are 20 and 24, and my oldest just moved back home. 

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@Lollykins 

I retired a few years ago at 53, but I may have to go back to work if the money runs out.  Or maybe find a sugahmama,  

"about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. BOILER UP!! Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"

Dean
Deal Ambassador

@Lollykins  I was "retired" by my company at 55 but I haven't worked since. Turned out I saved and invested better than I originally thought. I do miss working sometimes but I've got other things going on now that would keep me from a full time job. Plus I still have a good kidney to sell if I need some quick cash. 😬

Lollykins
Core Shopper

@Dean @Rickibotta Good for you both! Dean, I really hope you'll get to keep that kidney.

When I was younger, I never would have dreamed that retirement before 70+ was possible.  But we're fortunate.  My husband is retired Air Force,  which really helps on the health insurance front.  And we've saved religiously the past 10 years or so.

Then I hit the jackpot and lucked into a very lucrative position with my current company, something I never saw coming in my 50s.  It's been a game-changer for us.  After COVID, when they decided to make remote work the norm, that was like a raise all over again.  No hour commute, no daily tolls... sometimes I have to pinch myself!

I just feel so blessed every day. 😊

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@Lollykins   Really appreciate the positive vibes - and thanks for sharing your time with us.  I have had my own business for 24 years and can't imagine getting dressed to go to work. 

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@Dean 

I remembered you were 'retired like me.  You were in IT also, correct?

I really am enjoying 'retirement overall.  The worst part is the people I am stuck being around all the time.

"about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. BOILER UP!! Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@Rickibotta  Thank goodness you have us to break up the monotony. 

Dean
Deal Ambassador

@Rickibotta  30 years in IT. There’s just not much call for someone who started out when disc drives were the size of washing machines. 

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@Dean 

35 years here.  I was fortunate enough to be on my last job over half my life.  I was there 28 years.  They tried extremely hard to get me to go to a new project that was replacing the legacy system, but I had no interest in learning Java.   I may go back to work when some of these companies tire of running systems off of a series of glorified PC and windows servers.    My IMS mainframe experience should be worth $150 to $200 an hour by then....lol.