cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Be Careful on Walmart Orders with Credit Cards and Gift Cards

mmoore01
Deal Master

I placed an order on Walmart.com for pickup.  I had a number of gift cards I had purchased from Ibotta.  You can only use up to five gift cards.  So I entered in the five gift cards and then used my credit card for the remainder of the bill.

When I picked up my order, one of the items was not available.  I asked the Walmart associates at the store Pickup how they refunded the different.  They really couldn't tell me for sure, but they thought it would be on my credit card.

I checked the balance on all five of the credit cards and then checked what my credit card company said was charged (still pending).  It appeared that they did not remove the amount of the item that was out of stock!

I checked the emails that came from Walmart, but none of them indicated how much was spent on each gift card or what was charged on my credit card.  I called Walmart Customer Support and they confirmed how much was used of each gift card on my order and what was charged to my credit card.  Again, the total was the original amount, not the amount minus the unavailable item.  They agreed to credit my credit card for the difference.

The point of all this: Always double check what you were charged, especially when something was not available.  

5 Replies

Re: Be Careful on Walmart Orders with Credit Cards and Gift Cards

Jensaves2Htown
Core Shopper

@mmoore01 Thank you, I always check my receipt, because clerks like to scan more than what I am purchasing and I don't like doing returns.  (...but I will return items or fix my receipt)  Sometimes items are not scanned and placed in my bag --I upload receipt to Ibotta and miss my refund and bonus.  It takes me a minute to realize what happened.  ...so disappointing.  

Maybe Walmart wants you to call CS to credit you in cases of oos or substitution.

0 Likes

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@mmoore01 

Sounds advice. 

Just check your credit card statement.  It is possible the agent was wrong.  I have asked before when they were wrong

If pending was $10, but a $1 item not available, they could have charged all $10, and then on their own issued  a $1 credit.  The $1 credit could take up to a week.  I have had this very thing happen to me. 

“about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. BOILER UP!! Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"

Edawn24
Rewards Guide

Sometimes it shows the full amount until it clears, so I would just keep an eye on it. 🙂

Saipan
Deal Expert

@mmoore01

Should be able to combine multiple gift cards on to one new gift card in store with customer service.

0 Likes

Blzd2SAVVV
Deal Sharer

You will get your credit. Happened to me several times. They charge full amount and refund a few days later for unavailable items. I have a delivery at least once a week.