cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: National Nurses Day

Welshcar
Skilled Saver

@Mikosmama  That is so cool! There are so many things you can do as an RN other than hospital nursing, the opportunities are unlimited. Best of luck to her. I became an RN in my forties and I wish I had done it much sooner. 

Welshcar
Skilled Saver

@FelskyNY  Good to hear you are surviving amidst all the changes. Like I said, you can’t beat the human ability to catch errors. They make for hilarious reading, though. 😂

0 Likes

Icequeen813
Rewards Whiz

@FelskyNY @Welshcar  now I’m really feeling old, approximately 17 years ago, I  was on the team that set up theEMR w McKesson for our hospital system & then traveled to various states & taught the nurses how to navigate the system .

0 Likes

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@Icequeen813  How far they have come since the days of Dragon and then EMR. Some of the older docs could not get on board with it. 

0 Likes

Welshcar
Skilled Saver

@Icequeen813  That is so cool that you had that opportunity! We transitioned from paper to EMR when I was in a step-down unit and it was like pulling teeth to get the nurse on board. The older doctors were also very resistant. We used Centricity, which was so cumbersome. Now they use Epic. I wish they would let Nurses use a dictation device so they could chart in real time and allow more time at the bedside. I imagine that will happen eventually. 

0 Likes

Icequeen813
Rewards Whiz

@Welshcar  Now a days you need more than an RN  . to advance .1973 I graduated w a BSN .APRN is the way to go now. .

0 Likes

Icequeen813
Rewards Whiz

@Welshcar  Don’t you have computers in every room?  When I retired we were using Meditech!

0 Likes

Welshcar
Skilled Saver

@Icequeen813  Completely agree. If I was younger I would absolutely go beyond my BSN.

0 Likes

Welshcar
Skilled Saver

@Icequeen813  Nope, we had COWS (computers on wheels) in the ICU., one for every two rooms. If my patients weren’t in adjacent rooms, I would use whatever cow was sitting outside the room. 

0 Likes

Icequeen813
Rewards Whiz

@Welshcar  What is really great& I hope that you took advantage of is 401k I worked for 3 very profitable hospital systems HCA, Iasis& & Baycare &    I have invested & watched them soar.