Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retailer boards

LaraL
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey everyone,

So in this thread we were discussing the idea of different boards for each retailer. The idea here is that you could more easily find deals related to whichever store(s) you visit the most. If you're interested in this idea let me know in the comments and be sure to add which stores you would like to see have it's own home.

Side note: We might be able to use tags or labels for this as well but it's up to you all as there's no way I can keep up with tagging every deal thread.

Let me know your thoughts!

13 Replies

Re: Retailer boards

Dean
Core Shopper

I've held off commenting on the board changes while waiting to see how things work out. For me, the board has become more complicated to use. I normally watch the main page for new topics and don't visit the sub-boards as much. I've noticed a few new topics didn't appear on the main page. I'm not sure is that is by design or not but I'm curious if retailer boards would show topics on the main page.

I think having retailers separated would be good for some but might lead to more clutter. I've seen posts that start with a specific store and then comments are added about similar deals at other stores. So are we more concerned with getting the deal or shopping a specific store for that deal? Ideally, I would choose to use labels and tags to identify retailers. There are already labels for many retailers but they are seldom used from what I see. Almost every deal posted includes a retailer in the initial post but seldom include labels identifying the retailer. Doing so would make searching a lot more reliable. This would only work if the poster included labels and tags in each topic. That's just my two cents.

LaraL
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Which new topics didn't appear on the home page feed?

Yeah I agree, and that's ultimately one of the difficulties I'm running into when I think through that process. Thank you for your feedback though, it helps to hear from multiple people on this before I take action.

0 Likes

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@Dean  I do agree with you as I don't shop in stores such as Kroger or Walgreens, although I may glance at the postings just to be sure I don't miss anything.  I can see how it may create more clutter overall and if someone posted a DEAL on the DEALS board and someone else posted it under CVS or Walgreens, then it would create double posting or more. 

I do however like a weekly post for good deals at specific stores.  But I guess we can just make our own.

Dean
Core Shopper

@LaraL  I don't recall specifically which topics didn't appear on the main page but it was some in the new sub-boards. It could have been related to the move of some topics to the new boards or a delay in the indexing of the new boards. I haven't gone back to check if the problem was corrected.

@FelskyNY  I agree that a weekly accumulative post would be beneficial but if labels and tags were used consistently and properly, then the search function would include all those posts. As it is now, it's difficult to search for posts because of the use of abbreviations such as WF and TC. I can search for store names right now and miss some posts because no one included the full store name in any post.

0 Likes

MeLMeL11
Core Shopper

I just started using this forum a month or so ago...and I love the over all interactions and positive energy around deals and money saving. I would say, as with most things,  keeping it simple is usually best. But I am also a fan of having order and designated spots for things. I always use the first page and just scroll down to see what has been the most recent things talked about and go from there. To be honest I didn't even realize there were categories at first! Lol

....it seems like there are just a handful of people who 'actively' post and share...and probably some drop-ins and on lookers. The current situation seems to be working for everyone IMO. 

I try to have fun with my titles some times just to grab people's attention and spark engagement. (Like the post I did about the litter sale). I don't, and prob won't use tags or labels...just being honest. Things are quite user friendly right now and it seems people find exactly what they need! 😎

Rickibotta
Ultimate Saver

To me, tags and labels are pointless.   You can already search for the store name.   Not everyone is going to include a tag or label anyway.  I realize not everyone will post in the store folder either, but it seems more likely they would if it were an option.

I think if you do store threads, you just have to go for say the top 20 stores or something.   The top stores would include some like:   WM, Kroger, Target, Walgreens, etc.  I personally use Meijer a lot, but that store may not make the cut.

Before you start trying to determine which stores would get chosen, you would have to consider the design.  In theory, each store would have to be under both DEALS and DEAL STACKING for it to make sense since the choice has already been made to split based on both DEALS and DEAL STACKING.   I always felt like splitting by store subordinate to DEALS FORUM always made more sense than bifurcating by DEALS/DEAL STACKING.  I feel the benefits of only having to look at the stores you care about outweighs knowing whether something is ibotta-only or is stacking.  I am wondering how many people only look at DEALS FORUM and ignore DEAL STACKING.

To me it makes most sense to drag all the DEAL STACKING threads into DEALS FORUM, thereby eliminating DEAL STACKING.   Then subfolders under DEALS FORUM can be added for stores.   I just don't think adding store folders in only one place is an intuitive design.  In other words, if you retain both DEALS FORUM and DEAL STACKING, there is really no intuitive place to add store folders.

The most important thing is to know your users.   You would have to know if it is more important for users that they only select DEALs FORUM or DEAL STACKING <or> if is more important that they go to the store they shop at. 

For example, some people may not shop at WM, or may not have a Kroger.  So while all the store folders may be considered clutter, it is really avoiding clutter in the eyes of the users.

"Remember, coupons are the only money you can print without the Feds getting involved"
0 Likes

SaverGirl67

I like the idea of store specific threads but also see the problem of the choice of sub folders. I would guess a choice would need to be made between separating deals and stacking or separating by store.

In this case I would choose the store folders. It would eliminate deals completely unavailable to me and allow me to look at and post for stores in my area. 

Hope this is helpful. 

SaverGirl67

@Dean @LaraL  FYI. I created a post this morning that is not coming up on the main page feed.

I actually can’t find it myself. Lol. It was a Publix run and I put today’s date in the title. It’s either stuck on a board or it didn’t post at all. 

0 Likes

Dean
Core Shopper

@SaverGirl67  I see it as the tenth item on the main page. But this reminds me that it was the Hauls & Wins that I didn’t see originally.

https://community.ibotta.com/t5/hauls-wins/publix-morning-run-6-20/td-p/42556

0 Likes