cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sunday Paper - Yes or No?

SaverGirl67

I’m considering subscribing to the Sunday paper but I’m just not 100% sure it’ll be worth it. And I don’t want stacks of papers cluttering up my house.

So I thought I’d ask the experts on here - do you get the paper?  Is it worth it?  How do you keep it neat and tidy over time?

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds. 

33 Replies

Re: Sunday Paper - Yes or No?

Icequeen813
Deal Master

@SaverGirl67  I used to get Tampa Tribune delivery 365 days yr.First of all its obsolete & expensive! . 

Dana
Deal Expert

I get the paper every Sunday (Call your paper they normally have deals. I get Sunday only $30 a year plus my paper guy gives me all the extra inserts). FYI inserts and coupons vary not everyone gets the same so check what is in the paper you want before delivery (just go to the store on Sunday and open one). I keep my inserts whole in a binder and write the date on the cover after 3 months I give the expired ones to the military.

OBSHOP
Shopping Enthusiast

I coupon, prior to buying papers I go to www. Coupon review. Com and check to see what will be in the paper.  In North Mississippi Sunday papers are sold on the street corner and I will buy just the inserts about 10 or 20 copies.  That way I don't accumulate a lot of newspapers and I just keep the coupons until they expire. 

"To Whom you give your money to; is to whom you give your power to"

Janet1964
Super Saver

I check Krazy Coupon lady. She details which coupons are in the newspaper and decide each week if it is worth it. My Sunday paper is only $2 on the newsstand, so I add up what I know I will use and decide how many to buy. I usually use at least $10 worth but most times upwards of $40 a week. Also, there are no inserts on holiday weekends, so I don’t bother. And now I have a friend saving their inserts for me and they only live 1 mile from the store that I shop at, so it is not out of my way and I stop by every 2 weeks to pick them up. So the most I buy now is 2 papers per week. Before Ibotta, I was buying up to 5 papers per week. I went shopping today and used $54.10 in newspaper coupons alone. I also used digital coupons, printables from Coupons.com and Extrabucks from  CVS. I got points from Fetch, Shopkick, coinout, checkout51, receipt pal, receipt hog, box tops for education and p&g. I haven’t checked coupons.com, inbox or majic receipts yet. My phone is dying, so I will leave that for another day. I completed 20 offers today toward Dublin and shopped for 6 hours - so I am exhausted and going to rest now.

Roxiesmom
Saver

I get a Sunday paper for 2 reasons

1) I need the comics. 

2) coupons. 

After reading the paper and pulling ads and coupons the rest hose into the recycling bin. Keeps things tidy

Donna2
Deal Ambassador

@SaverGirl67 I'm a fan of getting the Sunday paper in part because I actually love to read the paper rather than news on TV, and partly because I use the coupons all the time. I will still print some from coupons.com here and there but not near as much that I do the ol fashion clipping. 

If you have a dollar tree near you, they sell the Sunday paper for $1.00. I always peek in one and if has good coupons I will buy a couple extra. I get there when they open because the papers sell fast for $1.

Most of the paper I recycle after reading, but I do keep some the comics as they make great wrapping paper for kids gifts (I add bows and ribbons to make it really cute), and I also keep some of the paper on hand as the news paper actually works really good with vinegar to clean.  windows and mirrors streak free! Saves alot of paper towels lol

FelskyNY
Deal Master

I get Newsday and it is EXPENSIVE - often some of the inserts are missing and I have to call and request them.  Honestly, the papers that come are generally tossed right in the recycle bin, except the coupons of course.  I had an offer from Newsday for 7 days a week for $5 which was cheaper than getting just Sunday or just the weekend, but once the 2 year cycle ends, I'm probably going to cancel it.  I hate all the waste the paper brings especially since we don't even read it.  I used to drop it off daily at a senior living center that is very close by, but with COVID, I haven't been able to. 

I know some people buy the paper at the dollar store, but that is not an available option here. 

SaverGirl67

Thanks so much for your responses. The offer they’re giving me is $2/week for Sunday and Thursday (why Thursday I have no idea). But the fine print says that’s only the price for the first 16 weeks and then it goes up to $5/week which seems like a lot for something I’m not sure I even want. Lol

So I’ll check my local Dollar Tree first to see if they sell it. More running for me but less waste and I could get multiples if the deals are really good. 

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@SaverGirl67  A lot of the newspapers have the weekly flyers in the Thursday edition, and some even have the coupon inserts.