cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Target Red Card

Xiao
Deal Ambassador

Thanks for your input, @cweiner31! I’ll definitely do more research and make my decision carefully. 

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@Xiao  et al

Consider where your credit rating is at and where you want it to be. 

Applying for a Redcard credit card WILL result in a hard inquiry to assess your credit worthiness.  Using it will also affect your credit rating.

Applying for a Redcard debit card will not result in a hard inquiry, and it must be attached to your personal checking account.  The debit card will not affect your credit either way; it won't help either.

So IMHO, unless you are trying to increase your credit rating, I would suggest going with the Target debit card option.  I believe it includes all the same benefits as the credit card does.

"about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. BOILER UP!! Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"

mmoore01
Shopping Enthusiast

Both my wife and I have a Target credit card (separate accounts).  We only use it when at Target.  I use another card when shopping elsewhere.

@cweiner31  Target usually sells their gift cards for 10% off in December.  The largest size available in the past was $300 (your cost $270).  This past year, they increased it to $500 (your cost $450).  I have bought them several times, always the max.  I add it to my Target Circle app and it is used for my purchases each time I go to Target.  It takes me five or six months to use it up.

When the gift card is used, I am not earning 5% since it isn't on my Target credit card, but the app credits me 1% for purchases paid with cash or gift card.  So, I am actually earning 11% when using the gift card.

Icequeen813
Rewards Whiz

@Xiao  The $40 off coupon I received for opening the RedCard  credit card was good thru 8/26. 

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@Icequeen813 

Was it also good for the debit card?

"about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. BOILER UP!! Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"
0 Likes

Icequeen813
Rewards Whiz

@Rickibotta  I don’t think so. IMO it’s not worthwhile for people that carry a balance on credit cards, I got it because it for the 5 % cash rewards which is higher than Bank of America  Platinum Honors

0 Likes

DanyelN
Core Shopper

Exactly, I have the debit card so the money comes out just like I had used my bank debit card except I get an extra 5% off.  Most sources say you can qualify for the $40 off $40 with either the debit or credit version.  My problem is remembering that the red card has a different PIN than my actual debit card.  lol

0 Likes

Icequeen813
Rewards Whiz

@DanyelN  It’s all built into the Target App now. Just scan barcode… once you set up Manage my card.. 

Rickibotta
Deal Master

Before trying this deal, verify with Target to see if offer still valid.

For starters, what I am seeing is that you can get $40 for either the credit or debit RED CARD.  I would suggest you do not do the CREDIT since it is a hard hit on your credit.   Plus having a DEBIT card encourages you to not overcharge as you may on a credit card.

But:  I am seeing that perhaps this deal ended on applications submitted on July 17.  And the $40 reward has to be used by August 28.

So just check with Target to see if offer still valid.   If so, verify if you can get $40 via debt card.

0 Likes