cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Walgreens - Gillette Deodorant

MeLMeL11
Core Shopper

What's the issue with RR?? @Rickibotta  @cjwoody 

Walgreens is one on my fav spots, but I have yet to use a RR. I usually get the cash rewards.

0 Likes

Mikosmama
Deal Ambassador

@MeLMeL11 , look back at @Rickibotta‘s reminder about how a RR attaches like a coupon. So just make sure you have enough items in your purchase to count for the number of MQ’s (plus RR’s) you’re using. 

What @Rickibotta was saying is that he has an issue with how people sometimes count that savings twice when figuring out and posting their deals. Personally I like to count rewards when I earn them, but that means I can’t count it when I redeem it because I already accounted for that amount. (Some people count it when they redeem it, not when they earn it. But you just can’t count it for both. The math doesn’t work out that way.)

MeLMeL11
Core Shopper

@Mikosmama I so want to try out these RR now...lol....I don't mind a challenge.

As for the other part... depending on how things are written out, it's how you look at it. I enjoy doing what I call "roll over"...taking rewards that I may have spent money on to "get" originally then taking that reward to "get more" free items from the store. As long as no additional funds are coming from my wallet, I'm good. 

cjwoody
Core Shopper

@MeLMeL11 that is what @Rickibotta alluded to.  Rolling the RR for spending does not result in a “free” item unless that second purchase results in additional RR’s >= to the RR’s you spend.  If you buy something for $6, less $2 DQ, and earn $4 RR, then that item is free.  If you use that $4 RR to buy something that is $4 without earning new RR, then you are out $4.  The second purchase is not free.

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@MeLMeL11 

Not all RR roll.   So you almost have to check one of the many deal sites where people go do these deals in person and report whether or not it is a rolling RR.

RR are basically cats.  They even print out at a machine behind the counter as a cat would.  Catalinas are the same that they are basically like money, but they are not really money because they expire, and they also sometimes roll and sometimes do not.  I can't remember though if cats count as coupons though.

RR are a racket similar to Kohl's cash.  If you shop there regularly, it works out great.   But you don't want to end up having a RR of $4 to spend, and then pay $5 for something normally found elsewhere for $2.   Then you effectively turned your $4 RR into a $2 one.  And if you just get busy doing life, and you let a $5 RR expire, then the deal where you earned it, that is no longer FREE, it cost you $5 since you did not use the RR.  I guess in that sense, RR is also similar to MIRs.

"about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. BOILER UP!! Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"

Rickibotta
Deal Master

Regarding counting RRs or cats twice, or where you count them.

If it is for your own personal accounting, you could make a case for counting them on either end.  But when you are posting on deal sites, you really should count them when earned.   Presumably, all purchasing at that time also can get the RR/cat just like you did.

But you can't really say, 'I bought a widget for $4, got $1 ibotta, $1 DQ, and used a $2 RR I had from a prior purchase, so it was free.'  if you are posting it as a deal, because not everyone has a $2 RR sitting around.  

In my experience, pretty much all the deal sites therefore factor in RRs/cats when you earn them. 

"about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. BOILER UP!! Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"
0 Likes

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@Rickibotta   and that's why I am afraid of Walgreens.  I'm good at CVS with EBs, and don't get me started on the cyclical Kohl's cash.  I am glad to have broken free.  The Kohl's closest to me closed about 3 years ago, so I don't shop there as often as I used to. 

0 Likes

MeLMeL11
Core Shopper

@Rickibotta @cjwoody 

If you let them expire, then yes, I totally agree. I try to shoot for the cash reward...although they expire a year after you earn them at Walgreens. Still better than riteaid,  their bonus cash expires in 30 days I think.

0 Likes

MeLMeL11
Core Shopper

@Rickibotta  ok...I see what you're saying about the deal sharing. I have experienced reading that too and thinking that way also. It can be a bit misleading or confusing, especially for new deal hunters. So it's all about wording and explaining how the deal worked "for you". Which still can motivate others in the same situation, but everyone needs to fully understand how you got there...as you say YMMV ...or as I thought you meant "you money making villain" 😁

....but I am totally here for reading about people's deals and 'WINS'!!!

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@cjwoody 

It gets rather sticky right, because as you said,  ' If you buy something for $6, less $2 DQ, and earn $4 RR, then that item is free', and pretty much everyone says that in couponing etiquette, but in reality it is at best potentially free.  I don't really count it as free until I spend the RR on something else.

And during the second transaction, I consider the RR as cash when redeeming, and as you said, whatever you bought cost you the $4 and whatever other costs there were..   But, if you are lucky enough to do a deal where the RR roll, and you get a $4 back, then that item is also free. (albeit potentially)

@MeLMeL11   If you have a RR deal that does not roll, you can pair up two RRs and alternate them to get the same effect.   

• Buy 2 crest and earn $4 RR
  • If $4 RR earned is not rolling (meaning using Crest RR to buy another Crest deal does NOT generate another RR), then you can ues the $4 RR to buy Garnier shampoo that generates a $2 RR.
  • Then you can take the Garnier RR and buy Crest and earn the Crest RR again

You should only use the term 'rolling RR' when you can purchase the same products that earned you the RR and then earn the same RR again on the second purchase.   The alternating approach is not considered rolling.

etc etc etc