cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's worse - finding an item and it's expired or not finding it at all?

FelskyNY
Deal Master

As usual - not sure where to post this - so I went to my favorite location. 

CVS - many of us cannot find the free veggie chips this week.  Some of us found them expired.  What's worse?  finding it and it's expired or not finding it at all.

Of course when there is an Ibotta offer, at least it counts toward the bonus, but even still, what's worse? 

For example.  I bought the free Grillo pickles and they were expired (which we discovered 1/2 way through the container), so now I am more diligent. 

If something is expired, do you buy it anyway?  Sometimes in CVS it gets flagged as expired and you cannot buy it. 

Thoughts?  let's discuss....

29 Replies

Re: What's worse - finding an item and it's expired or not finding it at all?

Janet1964
Rewards Advocate

@FelskyNY 

It would depend if it is free or a moneymaker,  I would buy it anyway and throw it away to get the offer.

if it would cost me money, then I would definitely not buy it and I would be very upset that I missed an offer.

I would rather the shelf be empty instead of an expired item.

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@Janet1964  I'm in agreement - if it was free, I'd probably pick it up, BUT - what if it was an item you really wanted.  Then, the free offer is used and you can't get the item free, and who wants to deal with a return and repurchase (especially at Walmart) and take a chance of having your credit reversed.  

My sister teases me that I never know what yogurt tastes like because I always eat it past the sell by date.  Not with the case of the Stonyfield parfait's though.  I bought 5 and they are good through the 24th or maybe 25th.  I ate 2 already and I figured if I finish them by the end of the month, I'm good.  Honestly, I just tossed 1/2 of the free Yoplait yogurt that expired "a while back".  Didn't even know it was hiding out in the back.  I hate throwing things out.

Nique
Core Shopper

Worse if an item is expired. I do not knowingly buy expired food, or anything else for that matter. If an employee is nearby, I let them know about the expired products.

If I notice that something is expired after I have purchased it, I take it back.

Earlier this month I bought an Rx bar. Hadn’t checked the date. Looked at it a few days later and it had expired in January 2021. I took it back the next day and was refunded. Now I make sure to check the package for everything.

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@FelskyNY 

I am glad I got the expired veggie chips.  For starters, chips are good for months past if sealed.  And I can always check in a week or two and swap them. An empty shelf means zero chance.  My expired item gives me a product with two options.

All this logic changes if rebates were used or if the items were dairy or meat.

I often find items at kroger expiring next day and get them marked down significantly.  Sometimes they mark them free.

I think all of you who found empty veggie chip shelves are jealous that I got expired ones. ..lol

"about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@Rickibotta  I agree - discounted - buy now items are always a plus.  Am I jealous of your expired chips as compared to my empty shelf - I'll have to think on that one - maybe a little?  But it's still early in the week, so hopefully they will come back in stock. 

mmoore01
Shopping Enthusiast

I just bought two bags of Popcorn Indiana at Walgreens.  They are on sale for $5 on 2 and there is a $1.00 Ibotta rebate on each bag, making them $1.50 each.

The first bag was dated January of 2022.  The second bag said "New Improved", so I checked the date: September, 2021.  Still not expired, but it made me wonder.  So I checked all the bags and found one that was October, 2021.  So, I bought the January, 2022 and the October, 2021 bags.

It really surprised me that the shelf wasn't rotated.  Maybe the "New Improved" threw them off and they placed them in the back of the shelf.

Nique
Core Shopper

Sidebar... That's better than the CVS price for Popcorn Indiana--2 for $6.

How do you improve popcorn?

Xiao
Deal Ambassador

@Nique  Hilarious- love your take on that🤣 Inject kernels with GMO and make them pop bigger, like popcorn on steroids? Scary if it’s true…

@FelskyNY  Great topic as always and love everyone’s input, too. I think I’ll go with expired items, and agree with @Rickibotta 

0 Likes

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@Xiao  Usually what happens is that I start answering in someone else's thread and then pause and say - wait - let's make it a topic. 

I know we have an "off-topic" section - maybe I should have put it there. 

In the past, I have bought cereal (and cereal bars) and although we ate/shared a lot of it, there was still plenty left.  Check your stockpiles and if you see they are getting close to expiration, then donate before they do expired.  I just donated 9 boxes of cereal bars that we weren't eating and they expired August 2021.  

Why does toothpaste expire?  I know laundry detergent separates.