cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What's worse - finding an item and it's expired or not finding it at all?

mom2furkids
Core Shopper

For me, expiration dates are merely a "suggestion". Now of course there are exceptions to that especially with meat and dairy as someone else mentioned. Right now I'm drinking Chobani Probiotic Yogurt drinks that expired on the 17th, which isn't too bad. I have 5 more to go and I'm certain they'll still be fine. I have eaten condensed bean with bacon soup three years past the best by date with no gastrointestinal distress and baked up a cake mix that was a year out. It rose up just fine and tasted like it should. That being said, when I'm making a purchase I am pretty diligent about looking at dates knowing I may not use it right away, but depending on the situation and the item I very well might knowingly purchase it being "expired".  I grew up in the country where we ate things out of the garden without washing them first and drank creek water so I've been told I have an iron gut. If the Zombie Apocalypse happens I'll be good! LMBO

0 Likes

mmoore01
Shopping Enthusiast

I found a toothpaste in my closet that had expired about five months earlier.  I said the same thing, how does toothpaste expire?

I found that the toothpaste was very hard to push out of the tube.  I used it, but I guess it can dry out over time.

As for the taste, it seemed fine.  At least toothpaste is usually spit out, so I shouldn't get sick.

0 Likes

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@FelskyNY 

I am using a crest from the 20th century

"about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. BOILER UP!! Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"
0 Likes

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@FelskyNY 

We need to see if @LaraL can get us an additional subfolder under OFF TOPIC. 

Maybe:

• Odds N Ends
  • Off Topic
  • Misc
  • This and That
"about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. BOILER UP!! Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"
0 Likes

kynuna
Rewards Guide

@FelskyNY  I think an empty shelf is worse. Depending on the product I would buy it expired if the store would sell it to me, but naturally I would prefer in date if I have to pay for it 😀 Most shelf stable items are so full of preservatives that they aren’t going to be bad, (maybe just not at their prime).

I bought ‘Boost’ shakes at my CVS recently and didn’t notice that 3 out of the 4 were expired, since they were for donation I had to exchange them because unfortunately the food pantry won’t accept expired items. When I went back to the store there were a lot of expired boxes on the shelf. 
For our personal household consumption I use things well past the expiration date. My husband is way more concerned about expiration dates, and we joke that he’s like the aunt on the commercial who’s standing in front of the refrigerator saying, “Expired. Expired. Expired”  I grew up in a food insecure family and we ate whatever was available, (good, bad, or ugly)  Throwing away food simply because it’s ‘out of date’ so wasteful  

On a recent household pantry sweep I found packets of Great Value sugar free jello from 2001 The package design was a flashback. I’m sure it’s still fine. Nothing but chemicals there!!! 😀

Icequeen813
Rewards Whiz

@FelskyNY  I wouldn’t be concerned about Grillo’s pickles… they have vinegar,garlic, they have a shorter shelf life because they’re minimally processed fresh cucumbers, spices ,.My favorite 

0 Likes

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@kynuna  I definitely get the food-insecurity, and that is probably why I stock up, and donate and coupon etc.  I hate throwing things out.  I definitely agree that food pantries won't take expired products, so I try to be diligent with my donations (before they expire).  Years ago, we used to go to the Pepperidge farm outlet and look for the blue lines or red lines (I don't remember which), because they were cheaper.  

@Icequeen813  I wasn't concerned about the pickles because I wasn't the the one who ate them. (I know, I'm terrible).  My mom still has products in the pantry that don't have barcodes/upcs on them.  Her aide complains that the spices have no flavor left but my mom refuses to throw them out.  "They're fine"

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@Nique 

I am so glad you asked this question.   The answer is simple.

You improve popcorn by popping it in the great state of Indiana.

Popcorn grown elsewhere is merely popcorn;  grown in Indiana, it is improved popcorn

Tangentially speaking, my sister used to grow popcorn for Orville Redenbacher.

He (Orville, not my sister...pronouns are tricky now) attended Purdue University:

Purdue University

• My alma mater
  • Cradle of astronauts (both the first and most recent man to walk on the moon matriculated at Purdue)
  • Amelia Earhart was Purdue faculty member at time of her disappearance
  • Cradle of quarterbacks  (15 QBs have played in the NFL, passing for more yards than any other school)   

Purdue QBs have won (and started) more NFL games than any other schoo <and>  thrown for the most                            touchdowns and yards in the NFL. 

• All round great engineering school
0 Likes

Nique
Skilled Saver

@Rickibotta Oh boy! 🤣

Will I buy an expired product? No, but they can give it to me for free.

Will I use something at home that’s past date? Yes, depending on the item. @Icequeen813 makes a good point. Years ago a pharmacist told me that some pills are fine up to one year past the date. So I don’t toss Tylenol, etc. Some products have alternative uses, like coffee.

It helps to know the shelf life of some items. Then you know how long it’s been in the store.

0 Likes

Icequeen813
Rewards Whiz

Using expired toothpaste, expired medications, are not harmful, however they lose their potency.,.Another point I liked to make is drugs like Tylenol & Bayer aspirin,Excedrin… why spend money for name brand when generics made in US are used in every medical facility 

0 Likes