cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What's worse - finding an item and it's expired or not finding it at all?

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@Icequeen813  I do agree and buy generic whenever I can (often I'll get $2 on CVS brand pain relief or something similar), but when there are sales, coupons, Ibotta and/or EB back, as you know, it pays to pay the "Name brand"

0 Likes

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@FelskyNY 

I find that is rarely, if ever, the case.  I can get 500 max strength acetaminophen for about $4 when on sale at Kroger.   I never see Tylenol anywhere near that.  Every once in a while, I find a cheap 12 or 24 count cheap, but when you extrapolate it out to 200 or 500, it is still not a deal.  

A few months ago, I did do the Alka Seltzer gum deal because it was two bottles as a moneymaker, but that is very rare.  Kroger seems to be the best for store-brand medicines where I shop, unless I find clearance at Walgreens for their store-brand.  CVS is the worst.  They price all theirs like it is cutting-edge special medicine.

"about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. BOILER UP!! Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"
0 Likes

MelissaR
Core Shopper

@Rickibotta  Drew Brees is my GOAT!  I'm gonna miss him playing!  I root for the Boilermakers when they come on!  We don't seem to get many of those games during the college fb season.  We're SEC territory, so it's always LSU, 'bama, etc on.  

But back to topic!

@FelskyNY   My CVS was out of the Veggie chips too.  When I scouted the store getting the popcorn last wk, there were only 4 bags of Veggie chips on the shelf.  I didn't think to ck for the exp date on them!   I got there Sun morning right at opening and all 4 were gone.  Nobody was in the store but me and another lady, who was also looking for the chips.  Her thought was the employee had pulled them off the shelf.  Kinda shady.  But I would prefer an empty shelf than finding the item expired.

0 Likes

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@MelissaR  My store rarely has the really good clearance because I think the employees scan it, and pull it for themselves.  Hey, I guess if you can get it really cheap, grab it. 

0 Likes

Lollykins
Core Shopper

@FelskyNY  A while back, I was getting so much free greek yogurt that it was filling up the fridge.  I had to go through and stack it by expiration date.  I think that was in May, and my first stack was February expirations! 😳

But I still ate it all, with no obvious side effects. Now I only have the free Yoplait left, and I am slowly whittling that down.  I got 3 cases free, and I have not checked to see when any of it expires.  

I always tell my hubby, "make note,  so you'll know what to tell the paramedics when they get here!"  😂😂😂

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@Lollykins I had at least a dozen Fairlife creamers in my fridge a while back. I know the feeling!

0 Likes

Janet1964
Rewards Advocate

My husband found some buttermilk in my fridge that was 1 month out of date. He wanted to throw it out. I said it is sour milk- what is gonna happen? It turns sweet? Lol

Ps I know make my own as I need it. 

0 Likes

LaraL
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I can definitely add a Misc. board under Off Topic if you guys are interested in it. It could be a sort of catch-all for anything the other boards don't cover.

0 Likes

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@LaraL 

Thanks for creating the new  OFF TOPIC/MISCELLANEOUS folder .........I will definitely start using this new folder, and there are many many threads that should probably be moved there as well

"about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. BOILER UP!! Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"
0 Likes

LaraL
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Yeah I'll move threads here and there when I stumble onto them.

0 Likes