cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account locked

limsy
Rewards Guide

Started using ibotta just a few weeks ago. First time cashed out with Paypal without any problem. 2 days ago tried to do the same-got message that my account locked (but I still can scan receipts and get cash back).

No reason given. Contacted customer service via email, via app - total ignorance.

What should I do?

Thanks.

15 Replies

Re: Account locked

mmoore01
Deal Master

If you sent them an email two days ago, please wait.  It has been taking Ibotta about a week to response to requests.

Due to the holidays and COVID, they are swamped.

0 Likes

Dana
Deal Expert

there's many reasons you can be locked an audit, they think you did something fraudulent, you tried to take out a large sum at once, you tried to take out money as soon as you get it, you did multiple purchases back to back etc  Tickets can take up to a week or more since people put in tickets for every little thing. They will get to you

0 Likes

What-Shot
Super Saver

Hey, @Dana!

I"m always curious what you are referring to each time you write this: "Tickets can take up to a week or more since people put in tickets for every little thing."

What would be an example of "every little thing"? Most of the time I purchase things only for the rebate, so when I don't get what ibotta promised (even if only 50-cents or 1 item toward a bonus), I'm going to submit a ticket. Is that an example of what you mean?

I would agree that my example is a "little thing" in the scope of life, but on the other hand ibotta should not promise what they cannot deliver. 

So if you don't mind my asking, I'd appreciate understanding your perspective on this. 

~ibotta.like.you.mean.it~

stevefraz
Rewards Hunter

Dont worry, this happens in the arly stages as security precaution. It does make you mad BECAUSE YOU HAD PLANS FOR THAT CASH AND SUDDENLY YOU DONT GET THE CASH AS PLANNED. It takes up tp a week, but they will unlock it. You will be able to wihdrawl every time after that, of course my account is locked riht now and Ive made almost $500. Just ave patience. Good Luck!

Dana
Deal Expert

@What-Shot  I'm talking about tickets that do not need to be put in like ex, where did my friends go, why did this rebate go away, I placed an order this morning/yesterday and haven't got my credit yet, how do I link my account, why did the rebate change, why did I not get that bonus, why does my bonus need 35 offers when other people are 15, how does ibotta work, why are there no stores listed for the item bonus etc and the list goes on. People keep putting in these tickets with these questions and that makes the ticket times run a week or more for the people that actually have problems or need to be unlocked etc.

What-Shot
Super Saver

I appreciate your explanation, @Dana. It never would have occurred to me to put in tickets for those things (or think that others would be doing it), but if that really happens I now understand and agree! Thank you!

~ibotta.like.you.mean.it~
0 Likes

limsy
Rewards Guide

Thank you all!  Since I'm a completely new to this  - I just kind of panicked))

But regarding this "they think you did something fraudulent, you tried to take out a large sum at once, you tried to take out money as soon as you get it, you did multiple purchases back to back etc "

can anyone refer me to complete  rules?

Because I was pretty sure  I can withdraw money as soon as they credited. Is there any time frame?

and I buy pretty much same products at every store. Is it forbidden?

If no such rules - Ibotta's actions are fraudulent, not ours. Program's rules must be clear, otherwise anything can be used to forfeit money.

mmoore01
Deal Master

This is my assumption, but when a new user makes their first withdrawal, I think they lock the account to make sure someone hasn't done something wrong.  It forces them to review the account, make sure you are who you are and you are not trying to steal someone else's funds.

So much of Ibotta is anonymous.  They don't know if you are real, a made up person or some computer pretending to be someone.  If someone hacked your phone, they could easily go into your account and withdraw everything to their bank or Paypal account.  And if they get a gift card, then the money is gone.

I don't know if they really do a lot of work to make sure you are you, but the lock slows down thieves who don't have time to wait for it to be unlocked.  They go on to the next account.

Normally, it would only take a day or two, but with covid and the holidays, it takes up to a week.

Be patient.  Everything will work out.

0 Likes

stevefraz
Rewards Hunter

I understand a bit more of your concerns. They wiped out 2 of my referrals early on because my account was “red flagged” locked, ended up unlocked because no rules were violated, but my 2 referrals got deleted. That is a problem, but happens very little amount of times. I THINK THEY JUST DONT HAVE A COMPUTER GUY SMART ENOUGH TO PROGRAM THE SYSTEM RIGHT, SO THE ONLY WAY THEY CAN UNLOCK YOU, IS TO WIPE OUT YOUR FRIENDS. At least we’re not starving stranded on an island with Ibotta, or we might be in trouble. Lol. But seriously, one more thing.... I have learned when there is a delay on a receipt giving you your cash back, it’s one of two things. It’s either the receipt wasn’t perfectly clear, which a **bleep** phone will do, OR, THE STORE HAD A GREAT PRICE ON THE ITEM THAT ACTUALLY GAVE YOU BACK MORE THAN YOU PAID, THEY DELAY THOSE TO TAKE A CLOSER LOOK. To sum up my post, I’m reminding the  rookies that my account is currently locked because I have too many referrals. I guess you can call me the MVP of Ibotta maybe. lol. I have so many because I go out to the streets, talk to the homeless and tell them about the app because they all have EBT, and a lot of them usually sell it for half price for drug money, now they can use Ibotta money for whatever they want and still use 100% of their EBT. I Ibotta asked me to tell them what blog I use! Get your asses in the streets AND TELL THE HOMELESS SBOUT THE APP. The government tried to by listing it on the county website, but nobody reads it. That’s all for now. 

0 Likes