cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I the only person not doing the Thanksgiving rebates?

Dana
Deal Expert

I'm not doing the Thanksgiving rebates and before you jump down my throat I donate to a bunch of places every month and people should not be telling you what to do with your stuff and make you feel guilty about not donating. I'm just asking if people aren't doing it.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
5 Replies

Re: Am I the only person not doing the Thanksgiving rebates?

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@Dana 

I really don't understand why you aren't doing it. 

With all you spend, why not take advantage of the free items you would use?  

Plus, those offers may help you reach a bonus or two.

I agree people shouldn't jump down your throat, and people shouldn't try to make anyone feel guilty for not donating, but I see nothing wrong with people suggesting others donate if they don't want the items.

We are the ibotta community;  We are not a monolith...lol.

That is one of the great things about ibotta, right?  We all have some different reasons for doing it.

I hope people aren't "donate shaming".  Sort of reminds me of "recycle shaming".

As for me, FREE is FREE.   So I am getting all of it.  We will use 5 or 6 of them.

And the rest,,,,,,,,,,,well.....u know

"about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. BOILER UP!! Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"
0 Likes

Dana
Deal Expert

@Rickibotta  I don't feel like driving to another state to go to a walmart. And it's not free until you get the rebate you still have to pay the cashier so it's net free not free free. I don't use the items in the rebates anyway. I don't chase bonuses either I do my normal shopping and if I hit a bonus great if I don't not a big deal. I've seen a few posts here telling people to donate stuff which I think is wrong Yes donating is great but telling people to do that is not.

0 Likes

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@Dana 

For some reason I was thinking you did WM all the time.

I have one about a mile from me, and it is positioned where I drive by it almost every time I leave the house.   So I will do any of the deals they have in stock at that store.  But I never go to the other 3 WMs to get something if 'my' store doesn't have it unless I have to go fairly close to there anyway.    My car is old and I only get about 11 miles a gallon in city driving, so I literally consider that as well.

The only time I go to far away stores if my store is not in stock is for something big.  I just drove about 35 minutes to go to a different Target because they had some Galaxy 'air pods' for $38 instead of $129.99.

I guess I have taken most of the comments as 'suggesting' people could donate.  I just don't think there is anything wrong with someone saying 'If you aren't going to use them, perhaps you could donate them", especially if they are saying it to the group as a whole.    To me that is suggesting.  If they say, "You really should donate them at least <or> "Dana, It is selfish of you to not donate these and help someone out", that is telling someone and of course that is pretty rude.

Maybe we are saying the same thing, and maybe we are not agreeing.  Either way that is fine.  If you are feeling some kind of way, it is not my place to tell you that you aren't feeling that way or shouldn't.  I try t think people are just thoughtful and trying to help others instead of thinking they are trying to tell others what to do..

"about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. BOILER UP!! Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"
0 Likes

Dana
Deal Expert

Walmart is not allowed to be in my area. And the posts I've seen have been telling people to buy the items and donate it wasn't a suggestion.

0 Likes

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@Dana  I go to Walmart because it is less than 10 minutes from my house - of COURSE there is no rebate shaming going on - If it costs you $$$ in gas to go to Walmart, there is NO REASON to go there.  and with Covid, everyone should also realize to be safe and sane.   I try to go off-hours when the stores are less crowded.  You are a great contributor to this community - please don't feel you have to explain WHY or WHY NOT you are doing a rebate.  It is all up to the individual.  I do A LOT of baby rebates yet my boys are in their 20s.  But my niece and nephew both have babies, so I gift them diapers, wipes, baby food and other freebies.  Never feel pressure to do a rebate, even if it is free. I dislike when people buy things (for a rebate) and then throw it out.  In those cases, people should donate it - that's my only gripe. 

0 Likes