cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of Walmart and Sprouts deceptive pricing

Shopgirl
Skilled Saver

I was going to post my haul tonight but I’m so disgusted with both of these stores that I don’t want to give them any publicity. Both Walmart and sprouts tonight were actively advertising prices that were very different at the register. It was very disturbing. Luckily I caught all of it but I have to imagine how many people do not. I recommend taking a photo of the shelf price at Walmart even though the guy at the register, God bless him he was so overworked, almost didn’t adjust my prices because he said he was too busy. The person at sprouts acknowledged that they were completely engaging in false advertising in a display but there is nothing she could do about it.. (she said, I can completely see how you thought these were buy one get one free since they were in a standalone display labeled buy one get one free ). Unbelievable just be careful   Since I donate about 50% of the stuff I get I don’t appreciate the stores engaging in deceptive advertising and pricing!

3 Replies

Re: Beware of Walmart and Sprouts deceptive pricing

Francoise
Skilled Saver

I hear ya! To me, Safeway and Albertson's are the worst regarding over charging (among other things), and have been for years. Safeway lost a class-action lawsuit in CA years ago and, to this day, if they overcharge a customer in that state, they're required to provide the item in question for free and also give the customer a $5 gc. (It's not like they don't overcharge in my state too, though.)

It's so bad there that everytime I go to the customer service counter to get money they've stolen from me back, they say, "just tell me how much I owe you" before I've even said a word. The employees are so fed up with the problem, they don't even care to hear what you were overcharged for anymore.

WM used to be the best in this regard. Over the course of a decade, I could count on one hand how many times I was overcharged there. But it seems, for whatever reason, all stores are doing it to at least some degree these days.

Next time you're at the store, look at how many people you see standing near the checkouts and exit doors with confused looks on their faces as they examine their receipts. I bet you spot at least one, probably more.

Shopgirl
Skilled Saver

@Francoisewow that is crazy regarding Safeway!!!! Many times at Walmart the prices will be $.50 or more higher at the register than they are on the shelf. I can’t even imagine if they had to give items for free and provide a gift card😂

MelissaR
Skilled Saver

I think the issue is prices are increasing faster than the employees can update the shelf tags.  I ran into that a few wks ago at WM, where Persil was tagged $4.94, but rang up $5.24.  Since I didn't notice til I got home, I didn't worry about it.  But the next time I shopped, I took a picture so the cashier could fix it.  3rd time, the shelf tag was updated.   I find inconsistent prices at Target and CVS a lot too. 

AFA Sprouts, I don't have that store.  If that were the manager that told you that knew they were engaging in false advertising, I would have shot off an email to corp including a photo of the display/shelf tag!  Esp if they weren't willing to change the price.