Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Solved! Go to solution

Fraudulent offers on iBotta

AmazonQueen
Shopper

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if my post will be permitted or blocked by the moderators or even worse i would be removed from this community.

But i have to share my story which is very troubling and painful.

1. Lately i've observed that iBotta abruptly removes offers which you already added to your shopping list. There are offers that expire in so and so days and hours and they display a timer which is good, but when i went shopping when there was ample time on the offers, still they expired and removed from my account. I never received cashback/support.

2. iBotta is offering some deals at so many retailers and when you shop at nearby retailer and ready to submit the receipt, you'll be shocked to see that some offers which were offered for that retailer are gone and replaced by 10 cents, 15 cents offers.

3. Both my roommate and i have iBotta accounts and either i or my roommate shop for both of us as we have differing work schedules. Whenever we shop and submit receipts, iBotta flags one of us as fraud and declines cashback. We had to fight with iBotta all the time and 90% of the time we lose. Instead of improving their machine learning and reading algorithms iBotta simply bulldozes us just because both the receipts have same store details, same products and same price but iBotta doen't check the timestamps which are always different.

4. Just yesterday, i've claimed cashback on "perfect peanut butter cup". The offer was in my account, i've added it to my claims, i've scanned barcode of the product and submitted. I was shown a short message right after the submission that my claims are approved and money will be in my account.

But within 5 minutes, i've received "money deposited" message but with lesser claim amount. I looked in my account and strangely the "peanut butter cup" offer is completely missing from claim form. I'm not **bleep** to scan barcodes unnecessarily unless the iBotta app asks me to do, so in my case the offer was there before submission but went missing after submission.

The cherry on the top is - my roommate got cashback for the same offer from the same store. Then i took screenshots from my roommates app and filed a complaint.

What's wrong with iBotta, it wasnt like this before? I always enjoyed using the app and recommended it to many of my friends and colleagues. Sometimes, recommended to complete strangers in stores, but i dont have that kind of hope and zeal.

I myself doubting iBotta's practices, trust and efficiency, how can i say good words about it.

I hope that iBotta takes cognizance of the situation and make a course correction.

All the best iBotta team.

Accepted Solutions
Solved! Go to solution

Re: Fraudulent offers on iBotta

ScottyS
Former Ibotta Employee

Hi @AmazonQueen

Thank you for the feedback.

For offers that expire from your account, due to the overwhelming popularity of a few of our offers, we have had to move up the expiration date on quite a few. Offers that are expiring soon have a banner that displays how much time is remaining, so you can be sure to get those products in time.

Regarding the various products in the app, unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that specific offers will be available to every shopper. You may see some offers on your roommate's accounts that you do not have and vice versa, we try to mix up our offers and bonuses so we have some that are achievable for everyone, so stay tuned!

In response to the issue with your Perfect Peanut Butter Cup offer, our Care team was able to see that you were able to redeem this offer through your Harris Teeter receipt successfully. You should see this amount reflected in your Ibotta balance. Anytime that you have any trouble with your Ibotta account, I hope that you reach out to our Care team for further assistance. I apologize for the inconvenience and have passed your feedback along to the Ibotta team. Your feedback may be incorporated into the app in the future.

Thank you again for supporting Ibotta as we continue to develop and refine our service!

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Solved! Go to solution

mmoore01
Rewards Whiz

I have had problems with offers disappearing many times, without any warning.

I believe that Ibotta has limits on how many rebates it can give out. If hundreds of Ibotta users submit rebates all at once, they either remove the rebate for some or maybe everyone.  Once they know how many are left, they add it back.  This happens to me usually on Sunday.  By Monday, the rebate is back.

I try to take screenshots of offers that are in high demand.  If I have a problem, I open up a request.  Ibotta has always come through and given me the credit.

As for being marked as fraud, I had that happen to me once, when I started back seven years ago.  It took quite a bit of documentation to show I wasn't trying to commit fraud.

Solved! Go to solution

RosesFocusLTH
Shopper

I've experienced similar problems but have also had positive results with reporting the issue and pleading my case to Ibotta.  I've also taken to checking for app updates immediately prior to creating my shopping list and going to the grocery.  This has cut down on the disapearing offers a lot.   I know your a seasoned Ibotta user and these may seem like simpleton suggestions, I apologize.  I truly do empathize with you on this topic and I hope your able to find the best solution for you!!

Solved! Go to solution

ScottyS
Former Ibotta Employee

Hi @AmazonQueen

Thank you for the feedback.

For offers that expire from your account, due to the overwhelming popularity of a few of our offers, we have had to move up the expiration date on quite a few. Offers that are expiring soon have a banner that displays how much time is remaining, so you can be sure to get those products in time.

Regarding the various products in the app, unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that specific offers will be available to every shopper. You may see some offers on your roommate's accounts that you do not have and vice versa, we try to mix up our offers and bonuses so we have some that are achievable for everyone, so stay tuned!

In response to the issue with your Perfect Peanut Butter Cup offer, our Care team was able to see that you were able to redeem this offer through your Harris Teeter receipt successfully. You should see this amount reflected in your Ibotta balance. Anytime that you have any trouble with your Ibotta account, I hope that you reach out to our Care team for further assistance. I apologize for the inconvenience and have passed your feedback along to the Ibotta team. Your feedback may be incorporated into the app in the future.

Thank you again for supporting Ibotta as we continue to develop and refine our service!

View solution in original post

Solved! Go to solution

AmazonQueen
Shopper

Hello,

I'm back again.

I've just submitted 3 offers on Alkaline water bottles from Whole Foods. I was asked to scan bar codes of the bottles while submitting. I was shown a message that i would be getting $5+ on those claimed offers once submission was done.

After this, i went into my account and i'm being shown that i've claimed only ONE offer. I've submitted a support ticket immediately.

Let's wait and watch.

thanks,

Solved! Go to solution

Rickibotta
Deal Master

You should be good.   This has happened on 9 of my last 14 redemptions.

Not sure how, but they often mess up the quantity in spite of my selecting and scanning the full quantity.

"about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. BOILER UP!! Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"
Solved! Go to solution

MISSY11
Rewards Hunter

This has happen to me also and they are keeping the cashback once my account is straighten out and I receive money owed to me I will no longer be using Ibotta.

0 Likes
Solved! Go to solution

SavingIsGood
Rewards Hunter

I just posted about this very issue , of getting fewer rebates than the submitted item count, when there are more than 1 allowed . 

Is there an explanation for this problem ? 

0 Likes
Solved! Go to solution

Rickibotta
Deal Master

My guess is this does not happen with Walmart since every item purchased has its own line on the receipt with UPC code.  Other stores who also do this likely do not have this problem.

Since we don't really know what happens between the time we redeem (taking the pics and entering the quantity) <and> the time we get our confirmation, it is hard to say.  It obviously is an automated process, and to be honest, I am surprised it works as often as it does.

Whenever your receipt has a separate line for each of the multiples, I believe it probably works most of the time.  I tend to have worse luck when the receipt indicates 2@3.79  or similar.

"about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. BOILER UP!! Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"
Solved! Go to solution

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@ScottyS 

There are several different symptoms of 'expiring' offers.  Some of my observations, thoughts, suggestions..

1) There are times when it says expiring in 4 hours.  Then in 2 hours, it says expiring in one hour.   And it can stay as 'expiring in one hour for 5 or more hours.'.  So you can't always counts on this final expiration countdown.  Usually when this is happening, if you try to click on he offer in your list, it will clock.  And then you have to exit.  It is somewhat apparent it will not go well if you try redeeming later..   So for those people who do not scan at store and try to redeem at home, that likely is a fail.

2) Sometimes I am shopping, and an offer just flat out disappears.  It was not one scheduled to expire.  There was no countdown to an expiration.  It was in my list of offers.  I am ready to buy it, and it has vanished.  What is the deal with this?  If you happen to have deals with companies and there are fixed limits on redemption counts, can't you start putting out different messages at a 90% "going fast"  and 95% " only a few left", or something.  (I remember when you had several BEECH NUT items listed.  I had 5 different products in my list, and they were not set to expire   They were all in my list at the store while I was shopping.  And one by one, they disappeared..

3) Sometimes when there is no expiration date on an item, you buy it and get home.   You try to redeem.  And an item gives the error of 'unable to connect' or something like that. when you try to redeem that one offer.  The message is horrible.  Seems like they could change it to say 'Oops it looks like that product is no longer available'  Changing error messages should not be that difficult.    That way people don't think they have a 'connection problem.

Once again, thanks for all you do.   And thank you for creating the new Teammates thread and pinning it.)

0 Likes