cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gift Cards and Pay w/Ibotta

corduroybones
Shopper

Can someone give me an easy explanation of how the gift cards and paying with ibotta works please?  Under gift cards it says “New Way to Earn” and “pay for purchases at your favorite places using Pay with ibotta to earn back cash instantly”.  Thanks in advance!

11 Replies

Re: Gift Cards and Pay w/Ibotta

Dana
Deal Expert

It was called pay with ibotta but people were getting confused so they changed the name to gift cards because that is what they are. You link your debit card to ibotta and click on the link that says gift cards on the main screen of the app. You pick one that yoiu want each have a different minimum and maximum amount, The total you can get a day is $250. after yoiu click which one put in the amount you want it'll tell you how much mney you will get back each one it different click review from here yoiu can send it to yourself or gift it to someone buy clicking the buttons if a gift it will let you choose who and how to give it. You also have the option to use your ibotta earning to purchase the gift cards that button is there too. After yoiu buy them go to gift card option on the account section to see them and you can update them (yours only not the gifts) to spent or change the amount so you do not forget how much is on it. These are e gift cards they are just like regular plastic gift cards they do not expire and you can use them in store or online just in e form.

Rlkankoo5
Shopper

That was well said. I didn't know about the limit per day, thank you for that info😁

0 Likes

corduroybones
Shopper

Thank you!  Does it have to be a debit card?  I don’t use a debit card.  

0 Likes

Dana
Deal Expert

@corduroybones  yes debit cards only

0 Likes

mmoore01
Ultimate Saver

As @Dana said, you can now use your earnings in Ibotta.

I have my debit card in Ibotta, but I use my earnings instead.  

When you are at the store, you can enter in the exact amount of your purchase including taxes and let the cashier scan the bar code, scan it yourself at self-checkout or have them enter the numbers from your screen.

If you prefer, you can purchase the cards at home before you go shopping.  Sometimes this is better, especially if cell phone and wifi is spotty.  You may not know the total amount, but you can estimate and buy one or more gift cards for what you plan to spend.  You would still have to pay any balance after the gift cards.  I will also screenshot each gift card just in case I can't get into Ibotta for some reason.

Right now, several restaurants have earnings of up to 15% back for using a gift card.  Percentages go from 15% to .5% (half a percent) for Walmart.

corduroybones
Shopper

That’s how envisioned using it exactly just wish I could use a CC instead of a debit card.  Might be a good reason to get a debit card.  Just have never needed one.  

0 Likes

Dana
Deal Expert

@corduroybones  they used to used cc or debit but changed to debit only last year or the year before it was costing them too much money with the fees

Tags (1)
0 Likes

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@mmoore01   Is the option to use your earnings still being beta tested on only some accounts? 

Wtennyson
Saver

When you use pay with ibotta you earn so much cash back.  So you make a purchase at Walmart use pay with ibotta and you still get a certain % back. Plus you have three option to use your ibotta money,  and it also counts toward an offer if you have a bonus your working on. 

0 Likes