cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gift cards

Dolejoriginal

Ibotta did a quiet sneak change..... Aargh.... All gift cards now have a 20$ minimum purchase..... Ibotta getting worse. 

4 Replies

Re: Gift cards

Kmkdenali
Deal Sharer

Yes I just saw this today myself! Very frustrating, all these “quiet changes!” And none of these changes seem to be for the better, not to us shoppers anyway. Making it less and less worth it to continue with ibotta. Frustrating and disappointing. 

AshbobSanDiego

There is an existing thread on this topic from last week when this change occurred. 
https://community.ibotta.com/t5/miscellaneous/buying-gc-s-quietly-increased/td-p/102826 

My theory is the law in CA that requires a company to pay cash for any gift card balance under $10, was a major reason for the increase. By keeping the minimum at $5, a user could buy $5-$9.99 GC, pocket the %rebate and just cash out the GC making it a MM quasi scam. 

0 Likes

Dolejoriginal

@AshbobSanDiego 

Yes, I'm aware as I saw your post last week.  I actually made a mistake when making my post because it was supposed to include the any bar being removed as a retailer.  In my getting distracted when posting I only put in the gift card part but as with this type of forum, your bound to have several posts of the same topic.  In regards to your original reply and the one to this, I think it had merit but as it's only a California and a few other states that have this law and Bryan Leach and the company itself is based out of Colorado, I would think a California law wouldn't cause this change.  Although the idea was founded based on an anything instant cash back idea, I think Ibotta will be transitioning it's business model to focus on providing in house retailer rewards programs such as it's doing with Walmart and will be implementing even more quiet but big changes to the platform. 

0 Likes

AshbobSanDiego

6C5301B3-91E0-4452-9E76-8E4FAC715DBB.jpeg

 Unfortunately our governor thinks all laws this state comes up with will become the national standard…

0 Likes