cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kroger's clearance shelf

OBSHOP
Shopping Enthusiast

I found Stove top stuffing on the clearance shelf at kroger's priced at $1.49 the regular price is $2.99.  The expiration date on these are 30 Dec 2022.  I racked up on these and will get more for my donation box.  Buy 4 for a $2.25 IR.  Not a money maker but I thought this was a good clearance shelf find. 

Screenshot_20220505-084109_Ibotta.jpg

Seasons change, gray skies will turn blue.
8 Replies

Re: Kroger's clearance shelf

Rickibotta
Deal Master

With the IR, this end up being about 93¢ each..  This is a good stock up price if you are brand-sensitive.

II am good with the WM ones at 82¢ each, but I probably would have gotten 4 myself.

Most of the time, I just find junk in the clearance aisle.

“about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. BOILER UP!! Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"
0 Likes

TXbelle
Deal Expert

@OBSHOP  

Don't discount the completed Ibotta offer. I really like the packaged stuffing mixes for an everyday change of pace.plus the Stovetop is much tastier than the jar gravy. 

@Rickibotta 

If you're looking for the best price on packaged stuffing, Aldi's Chef's Cupboard is great. I buy the cornbread dressing when I can. Last time I bought some it was $.69 a box. IMHO they all need some enhancing.

0 Likes

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@TXbelle 

I agree with you on the CC stuffing.   Instacart shows 79¢, so store price is still probably 69¢ or 74¢ here.  I also like the cornbread variety the best.

I was fortunate enough to catch Pepperidge Farms bags of stuffing for 49¢ on clearance a while back at WM.  I bought 20 of them, and I wish I would have bought more.   When I want to have 'good' stuffing, I add some chicken broth, celery, red onions, and red/yellow/green bell peppers  But it is a bit of a pain to add all the other stuff and it takes longer to cook.

That is where the regular WM/ALD or Stove TopI boxes come in.  Sometimes I just like quick and no fuss or muss.

“about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. BOILER UP!! Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"

TXbelle
Deal Expert

@Rickibotta 

I add chopped celery and onions, sautéed in the butter.  I also add poultry seasoning,  more sage, and a shake or 2 of Herbes de Provence. Used to add extra black pepper but the aroma makes me cough and choke(long story). Sometimes I use canned chicken broth instead of the water. Kroger has had Swanson's low sodium for $.25 off and on.  I load up when I can.

This is making me hungry...

0 Likes

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@TXbelle 

Last year I discovered Knorr powdered bouillon, and I am generally ok with using it as a substitute for broth.   I like being able to simply add 1/4 TSP powder with 1/4 cup of water to canned green beans for something quick.  Canned green beans lack flavor to me, so I always use a lot of seasoned salt.

Of course, I love fresh green beans, but again, all the prep and extra cooking time, etc etc 

Sometimes I also saute the veggies in butter or olive oil.  I do it for tacos and other stuff as well as the stuffing.

0 Likes

TXbelle
Deal Expert

@Rickibotta 

I can't stomach bouillon. As a child,  I had asthma and we were poor. My mother made Bouillon soup for me to drink hot. It was supposed to loosen the tightness.  It made me throw up, loosening the tightness so I could breathe. But it left an indelible mark on my psyche 🤪.

Besides, here in the south, we add bacon grease to canned green beans for flavor. BG is a staple.  I have greatly restricted my use of it though. Now I like a little butter and lemon juice to flavor my green beans.  I save the BG for turnip greens or lima beans. 

0 Likes

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@TXbelle 

I grew up with BG and crisco all the time, but then bacon was 49 to 79 cents a pound.  But I don't really use much fat.  I tend to use butter for a lot of things, and I use canola oil for other stuff.  A canola oil lasts me probably 8 to 12 months.

0 Likes

TXbelle
Deal Expert

@Rickibotta 

$.49/lb! That's showing our age (I remember that too). 

I haven't had crisco for ages, partly because it is more expensive than butter! I grew up with that and margarine. I didn't use real butter until I was married.  Now I'm like you: mostly olive oil, some canola oil, and butter. I will pay more for good olive oil but I buy Aldi canola. I buy butter on sale and freeze it (I admit to a real stash). I do the same with bacon. We probably eat bacon at home about 2-3 times a year.

I have an air fryer/convection oven that I use all the time to roast veggies that I tossed with a little olive oil. I use it instead of my regular oven for almost all my baking.. It's plenty big for the 2 of us and doesn't heat up the whole house.  

0 Likes