cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lazy Sunday Shopping

Janet1964
Deal Ambassador

My husband wanted to go grocery shopping today, so I threw together a quick trip.

I went to Kroger first to let him use up my fuel points before they expired at the end of the month. He saved .30 a gallon. Since he drives me most of the time, I felt it only fair. I was not working on any bonuses, so we just looked for stuff we wanted instead of needed. I did find some kind bars for him. He bought an Insta-**bleep** for 1/2 price. Couldn’t find any freebies.

we then went to Walmart where I got 2 Fairlife creamers (2.68 less 1.50 Ibotta less 1.50 checkout 51) which paid for the 2 Fage yogurt (.96 less .65 Ibotta). I bought shrimp and pork chops on sale and decided to use the WM Gift Cards I earned from Fetch at the scan and go. It asked for CSM approval and the cashier said she didn’t know that walmart had e gift cards and had no idea what to do. I waited for 20 minutes after scanning for a CSM to show up to enter her password. She didn’t even take the time to show the cashier how to handle it  in the future.

advice: if you are redeeming gift cards from your app,  I would go to a regular cashier to check out. The CSM work the registers first! Scan & go whenever they feel like it.

I then went to Publix and got Toaster Strudel Pastries BIGIF, Green Giant Veggies BIGIF, Muscle Milk Single (3 less 2.99 Ibotta), 5 Lipton Recipe Secret Soup Mix (.99 less 700 Fetch points each) to use with the insta-**bleep** and 2 Noosa Yogurt (1 less .50 Publix coupon less .50 coupons.com).

Let me explain the yogurt. I am new to Publix last week. I realized after I got home that I did not get credit for the coupons that I had clipped beforehand. I read and realized that the cashier never asked me for my telephone number. My bad, my loss! So today, the first thing I said to her was do you need my telephone number? She said no! I said how will you credit the coupons that I clipped. She didn’t answer. When I got ready to pay, the machine asked for my telephone number so I put it in and the screen froze. She told me to pay with my credit card and I told her it didn’t take my phone number. She pushed a button and told me to pay. When I got my receipt, it did not credit the noosa yogurt coupon. The store Mgr was standing close by, do I walked over and asked him how to use the coupons that I clipped. He said you must give the cashier your phone number. I told him that I tried and I also entered it before paying but she deleted it. He said she was new and he would fix it and speak to her about it. He took me to customer  service, I showed them my phone and they refunded the $1/2 coupon in cash to me. So when I got home, I checked coupon.com and saw the 1/2 coupon. Since the Publix coupon was not on my receipt, I submitted it and got $1. So both yogurts were FREE. 

9 Replies

Re: Lazy Sunday Shopping

What
Rewards Advocate

Had to giggle when I read the last half of the word instapot censored from your post. The kadt half of the word killjoy was censored from one of my recent posts. Guess I'm learning not to hyphenate certain words. 

It i got  "extra credit" for all the times I waited on customer service to correct errors, I  would be a "credit rich" shopper. Glad your Story has a happy ending.

~ibotta.like.you.mean.it~
0 Likes

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@Janet1964  Its frustrating when you KNOW more than the cashier, AND you don't even know how the store works.  Is there an app for Publix you can download and scan a card or something else?  Glad itvworked out in your favor.  I'm planning on a Shoprite run tomorrow. 

0 Likes

Janet1964
Deal Ambassador

@FelskyNY 

I have the app. There is no card.

0 Likes

FelskyNY
Deal Master

Well that makes absolutely no sense. Can you self checkout in the future?

0 Likes

mmoore01
Deal Expert

@FelskyNY 

In my area, only a few Publix stores have self checkout.  They are a "Full Service" store.  They bag your groceries and take your cart out for you, so self checkout is not that common.

The digital coupons are based on your phone number.  You don't have a loyalty card.  Publix has never had a loyalty program.  Anyone can get the sale items.  However, they require a phone number to access the digital coupons.

Recently, Publix has been advertising something called Club Publix.  I really don't know what this is.  It appears to be their name for accessing the digital coupons.  You can also set up your receipts to be saved online AND/OR a paper receipt.  I have mine set up to save an electronic version of the receipt AND get a paper copy.  It is also emailed to me.

0 Likes

mmoore01
Deal Expert

@Janet1964 

When I earn Fetch or Shopkick gift cards, I simply put them in my Walmart app under Account, Payment Methods, then in the Gift Card section.

Then, under Walmart Pay, slide up the bar at the bottom to select the gift cards you want to use.  Gift cards are used before Credit and Debit Cards.  The app keeps track of how much you have left and automatically switches to your credit or debit card when you have used up the gift cards.  You can have up to five gift cards listed.

Walmart employees know their egift cards as shopping cards.  The barcode that Fetch and Shopkick displays can be scanned with a hand held scanner.  The same with Ibotta Gift Cards for Walmart.

I always prefer to go to self checkout and scan the barcode myself.  Just be sure to select Gift cards on the payment screen first.  If you don't, it will think you are buying a gift card and asks for the amount.

0 Likes

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@mmoore01  With what you said about Publix - you HAVE TO use your phone # - so why a cashier wouldn't enter it is beyond me.

0 Likes

Janet1964
Deal Ambassador

@mmoore01 

That is exactly what I did, but after I scanned the barcode, it asked for CSM approval which took the most time.

0 Likes

Lollykins
Saver

I'm going to guess that the Publix cashier said they didn't need your phone # because it's not necessary for their sale prices.  

I always enter my phone # into the CC pad during checkout.  The screen will show a message like "customer ID accepted" to confirm it entered correctly.

You can also ask the cashier if your digital coupons registered before you complete payment.  When they press the "tender" button, the coupons will show up at the bottom of the screen.  Then you'll know they were credited. 

And Publix is very good about honoring those coupons.  If anything fails to register, customer service will usually make it right.