cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Solved! Go to solution

Question for experienced CVS-ers

Shopgirl
Skilled Saver

SO, if I have to spend 30 to get $6 off at CVS, is the 30 calculated before or after my paper coupons are applied? TIA!

Accepted Solutions
Solved! Go to solution

Re: Question for experienced CVS-ers

Janet1964
Super Saver

According to my CVS - before

View solution in original post

Solved! Go to solution

Eyegottaibotta
Skilled Saver

@Shopgirl The spend requirement is prior to all coupons. CVS also only requires that you spend 98% of the threshold amount so in your case spending $29.40 (before coupons) would meet the requirement.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Solved! Go to solution

Janet1964
Super Saver

According to my CVS - before

Solved! Go to solution

Eyegottaibotta
Skilled Saver

@Shopgirl The spend requirement is prior to all coupons. CVS also only requires that you spend 98% of the threshold amount so in your case spending $29.40 (before coupons) would meet the requirement.

Solved! Go to solution

Shopgirl
Skilled Saver

Thanks @Eyegottaibotta & @Janet1964 ! Bummer,  I could have gotten 4 Nieva post shave balms for free for my dad! would still just be a dollar each but we all love free!

0 Likes
Solved! Go to solution

dramaspoiler
Core Shopper

@Eyegottaibotta @Shopgirl 

From what I understand the one exception to the 98 percent rule is if it's a tier deal but it normally use to determine if you qualify to get the ecb.  In that case it has to be the exact amount or higher.  Basically a tier deal is when it's this or that deal.  Example spend $10 get $5 or spend $20 get $15. So you need to pay $10 or $20 because 98% rule does not apply.  But if you have a coupon for $3 off $10 then you just need to have total cost before all coupons of $9.80 to use the coupon.  

These are rare but normally you just need 98 percent of amount for most things to apply.  But do note the exception.  And this amount is calculated before all coupons as stated previously.  There might be one more exception with the freebie coupons if you throw it in the mix and the number of coupons and items you have 

Still learning cvs coupon rules. I use to overpay because I didn't understand how some of the coupons work and thought results same.  I learn from my mistakes and realize some transaction need to be done separately because paying separately out of pocket was free zero low cost but if I combine them I had to pay.  Also you need to make sure the cashier applies certain coupons on their screen that are not automatic because of certain rules the system follows.  I'm sure the long time super couponers know all the rules and do more complex transactions.  I just use what's in the app and I still mess up time to time for dummy mistakes.  

Solved! Go to solution

Shopgirl
Skilled Saver

@dramaspoilerThis is helpful thanks!! I really wish they would let us pick whether to pay with EB at the end of the transaction! I purposely only go when it's not busy b/c I've had to had them cancel out my entire transaction more than once right before I finalize it when I realized I applied too many EB!

Solved! Go to solution

mmoore01
Ultimate Saver

The Krazy Coupon Lady website has a list of tips for CVS:

https://thekrazycouponlady.com/tips/store-hacks/cvs-hacks-freebies-discounts

Solved! Go to solution

dramaspoiler
Core Shopper

@Shopgirl 

Actually if you pay at the register you can select the ecbs you want to use/apply and and special coupons that are not automatic example x% off an item of what to use them in the transaction.  I find it better then the self checkout that quirky.  So if you have the final expected price you should know which ecb to apply to get your results.   If it ever matter no all ecbs are equal.  There are 2 types one is CVS and one is mfg.  Difference is mfg will reduce amount but you still need to pay tax on taxed items.  Cvs ecb reduces price and you don't pay tax on the the amount that is deducted.  This goes the same with the coupons.  I yet to figure out what it is by looking at the app unless I use it but some are obvious.  

Note/summary ecb does not reduce tax or can deposits.  Aka it will not go below zero total before tax.  

Always learning how the system works.  Took a while to realize certain exception and situation that allow to have 6 coupons apply to one item that is automatic when they just hit done.  And I use to buy 2 items to use the coupons when I could have just bought one.

Solved! Go to solution

Shopgirl
Skilled Saver

@dramaspoiler thanks for this. I feel like I’m getting the hang of CBS but obviously still have lots of questions 🙂 it doesn’t help that sometimes when I go to self check out coupons don’t go as I expected so then I have them cancel it out and I go to the register and then it turns out worse at the register! And at my CVS they are very quick to just automatically apply your extra box and you can’t see what they are doing! So now I’m basically a self check out girl unless I’m not using extra bucks which is rare. But then sometimes I get a manager that’s like let’s apply all of the coupons! And just overrides everything and will apply anything I give them😂

0 Likes
Solved! Go to solution

Nique
Deal Ambassador

@Shopgirl I’m still learning too, but I enjoy it. Some CRTs do not “play nice” together. It’s hard to know until you try it. In that case separate transactions are better. At first self checkout made me uneasy, but now I prefer it. The exceptions are:

When I need a CRT to adjust down, I ask a cashier to ring me up because it doesn’t happen at self checkout. The other day I bought a product that was $5.99, and I had 2 $3/1 CRTs. At self checkout only 1 will come off, but with a cashier both will apply. So it was free.

Also when paying with a gift card. There’s no scanner at self checkout. I hope CVS adds those soon.

@dramaspoiler Whether or not coupons reduce the taxable amount depends on the state. In my state they do, so when something is free it is truly free.