cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"free after offer" items 2x the price

tisamely
Rewards Hunter

Does anyone else have this problem? I'll go to get the item and then I see the price is 2x what is listed in the "free after offer" credit. I got the Bolt24 free because they happened to be on clearance and half off. I wanted to get the ZenWater at Target the other day, and it was over a dollar more than what I would get.

Anyone else have this problem? I'm in Los Angeles, so if anyone wants to do an LA-specific thing where we share this info, that'd be grand and save me time trying to figure out how much something actually is selling for.

Labels (2)
13 Replies

Re: "free after offer" items 2x the price

drizzy75
Rewards Hunter

I am in the Metro Atlanta area. AFAIK, I have never seen a FAO item for more than a few cents more than the cash back price.

0 Likes

brokemom
Rewards Hunter

I am in NC and I have never seen a free item more than a few cents over the rebate either

0 Likes

Shosh
Rewards Hunter

Here in Alaska the free after offers are never free. It’s just part of living in a higher cost of living area! 

0 Likes

muse122
Rewards Hunter

Atlanta here; usually covers it with a few cents back to me.

0 Likes

Jodiedesu
Rewards Hunter

Could it be the tax and crv that make it more? I’ve avoided getting the zen wtr because of this!

0 Likes

frugalchic
Rewards Hunter

You are not alone. I live near Nashville, TN, and all the stores have raised prices in the past two years. Only 1 out of 5, of my last free items, were free. (Usually 10¢ to $1.20 oop).

0 Likes

Dana
Deal Expert

You do know that the price is a suggested price by the manufacture and the stores can charge what they want for items. Some people will get it free some cheap some money maker. That has nothing to do with ibotta.

0 Likes

Teyahstorm
Rewards Hunter

I live in Maine. Not always “free” here and definitely is dependent on which store I redeem the offer. Walmart usually is closer to rebate price as opposed to a grocery store chain.

0 Likes

akrusen37
Rewards Hunter

Yes, I live in southern California also (San Diego) and, like everywhere in California, our prices are insane compared to everywhere else in the country.  There is almost never a truly "free" item if you live in California because even if something is free after cash back here, the taxes and CRV cost will still get you.  I still don't understand how not only do we get charged CRV for each item,(money that we will never get back anyway) but then we also pay tax on the item AND the CRV.  Who voted on taxing CRV too? The taxes in California are so stifling that we are seeing a mass exodus of people and large corporations.  I believe Ibotta gives the price back by using an average cost of the item, so it will be possible to get the item almost free if it happens to be on sale or clearance somewhere.  Other than that, I have learned that when watching other people from other states get "deals" on items, I must adjust my math to add $1-$2 extra per item before deciding if something will be a good deal.  On a good note, in Southern California our produce is usually cheaper than in other states and high competition keeps those prices low.  Good luck with your deals!  

0 Likes