cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ready to quit couponing after 30 years!

kathand29
Deal Sharer

I am literally sick to my stomach right now and in tears.  I am an honest couponer and have seen the ups and downs for the past 30 years.  I do it all by the book and am thankful for every penny I save.  This past weekend, I needed 45 deals to get to the icon status.  I normally only shop the deals I need but headed to Walmart and Safeway, determined to be an Icon by the end of the day.  I did it!

Ibotta really just screwed me because of a target receipt.  It didn't show after 48 hours.  The last time that happened, I unlinked then re-linked my card (after a suggestion I read on here) and my receipt went through almost immediately.  I did that again.  I got credit for half of my items.  I put in a ticket for the missing items.  I received credit for 1 and was asked to send in a picture of the front of the products and the UPC's (ritz crisp thins/cheese crispers).  I only had 4 of the 5 items because one box had already been eaten.  Then ibotta flagged my account.  Put in a ticket for that.  

This morning, I received a message on my app that I had submitted a receipt twice (the target one above).  They removed all of my rebates from that purchase as well as a purchase from cvs weeks ago that they claim they didn't have a valid receipt for!  They took away my bonus, my icon status and I am now in the negative and in a business like way, basically told me I was a fraudulent thief.  If my target receipt went through twice, how is that on my end???  You can't submit a receipt twice when it is done automatically?  Not to mention, when it did go through, I was missing 2 rebates so how did it go through twice when I only received the rebates for half the stuff once?

I have been couponing for 30 years, most of those years because I had to.  I am not a fraud, I follow the coupon rules.  Thank you ibotta for making me feel so low over doing nothing wrong that I am ready to throw the coupon towel in.  

16 Replies

Re: Ready to quit couponing after 30 years!

Sorensoj
Skilled Saver

This is a prime example of the unethical business practices of these  types of businesses that promise a rebate and then do not follow through with the rebate, even when all criteria are met.  If their apps have software issues then the consumer should not be lead to believe they will receive a rebate.  This company is profiting by not providing your rebates that you’ve rightfully earned.  It’s analogous to a giant scamming operation.

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@LaraL  can you please look into this for @kathand29 

We've said it time and time again, if you are having problems that you cannot solve on your own after submitting a ticket, please reach out to @LaraL and hopefully she can help you. 

That is one of the hidden benefits of participating on this board.  Lara will try to advocate for you (to the best of her ability). 

mmoore01
Ultimate Saver

I am sorry you had this experience.  I have been lucky, I guess.  I have never had this situation.

My first suggestion is to take a break.  Calm down.  It never helps to face something when you are all upset.

My experience is that Ibotta is reasonable and understanding.  Many of the issues may not be done by anyone, it could be an automatic process that looks for issues.

I would get all your documentation together and submit a request with as much information you can.  Try to separate the issues.  Your Target purchase should be one request.  Open a new request for your Walmart purchase.  Safeway should be another.  Even CVS should be another request.  You could then add a Master Request that references each of the other requests.  Explain what happened.

Once they realize that you did not do anything wrong, they should restore your account and your money.

Good luck. 

kathand29
Deal Sharer

I've loved ibotta since I signed up and have been very grateful.  The response has just made me feel so low and I didn't do anything wrong!  Honesty and Integrity is big in my little world and to be accused of not being that...well, I can't remember the last time I have felt this low.

LaraL
Rewards Whiz

That sounds like an awful experience, I'm sorry this happened to you. I'll reach out for more information via private message so I can investigate. We'll get you taken of.

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@kathand29   We all know exactly how you feel. Please try not to get too low and just give up.  Life is hard enough and when your "hobby" such as it is, is taken away, it is very disheartening.  Hopefully Lara can help you out.  I think part of the problem with "big business" is that they don't really understand that behind every user is a real live person.  Hang in there and try not to take this too personally.  I know it's very difficult NOT to.  

I had a similar problem with Fetch back in November.  They accused me of fraud and locked my account (and I had a pretty big balance in there).  I wouldn't take no for an answer and submitted my IG posts and even posts that I made to this board showing how I supported Fetch and used them and promoted them.  And eventually they unlocked my account.  But it was a very upsetting period of time until it was straightened out.  And my relationship with Fetch is nothing financially compared to Ibotta.  

As I said in another post. I take a pic on my kitchen counter of my Ibotta purchases.  Many times I post them, many times I don't.  But I have proof of my shopping trips that way. 

Saving4Fun

@kathand29 I’ve been thru exactly what you’re experiencing because I unlinked and relinked my Target account upon the advice of the Care Center. At the time, I didn’t know this community existed, and I sure could’ve benefited from it. Rest assured that @LaraL will do whatever she can to help resolve this issue for you. She helped me get thru much worse. As frustrating as it can be, I try to remind myself that unfortunately, we live in a world that has a lot of scammers who are committing fraud. Ibotta has to put certain mechanisms in place to stop the fraudsters, or the app wouldn’t survive. Sometimes, the good folks like you and me get caught in the middle of these prevention measures, which is so upsetting and feels like a personal attack on your credibility. That’s not the intent. Most of these mechanisms are automated, and the computers are only analyzing data, not you as a person. As @FelskyNY said, thank goodness we have @LaraL to help us. No computer can ever replace human interpretation. Just take a deep breath and know that we’re all here to help. 

Welshcar
Deal Ambassador

@kathand29  I feel your pain as I recently had my account locked and was asked to “submit anything to help them make a determination on my account,” I have also been couponing honestly for almost 40 years. The way in which Ibotta handles these issues is really horrible. 
They set these bonuses with high numbers of redemptions required and then question why your activity is “unusual” My Seeing Green bonus is 42 offers for $10 by May 2nd. What do they expect? If they don’t change the way they relate to their customers when their security system flags an account, they will lose them. 
There are dozens, if not hundreds, of similar stories in the review section in the App Store. 
I have enjoyed using Ibotta for six years but this recent experience has left me traumatized. 
Just follow the advice to gather as much evidence as you can and submit it. I hope it all works out for you. 

LaraL
Rewards Whiz

For what it's worth I'll be addressing this problem internally on a broader scale. It seems to be happening more often lately, along with other negative experiences, and with your feedback I can share it and hopefully make some changes for the better.