cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target No Longer Accepting ANY Printed Manufacturer Coupons

katbruck1
Rewards Hunter

I was very distraught when I went to Target today (in the Chicagoland area) with multiple manufacturer coupons in tow from various companies (Colgate, Lubiderm, Neutrogena, Cetaphil, P&G, Schick, Degree, etc.) and was told first by the cashier (who had already scanned my coupons before being told by a superior that she couldn't and then had to void all my beautiful, perfectly planned savings), then by customer service AND then by the store manager that their NEW coupon policy is that they no longer accept ANY coupons printed from your computer; ANY regardless of coupon type, bar code, scannability, etc. NONE.  From now on they only accept coupons that are 2-sided (i.e. cut out from Sunday insert, etc.) They said this policy was in place because of past issues with coupon fraud. I pointed out that the Target website isn't updated to reflect this new policy (and showed them proof of this where it explicitly states that printed coupons are accepted) but they held firm that this order was directly from corporate and there was nothing they could do.

I'm still very upset because I had spent 10+ hours planning this shopping trip and was planning on using a lot of manufacturer coupons that were not easy to procure. My mother who works in marketing and deals with coupons on a daily basis was with me at Target (and had her own printed coupons that were rejected), plans to follow-up on this at the corporate level to see if this new policy is the real deal or if  we were just severely misled by this particular Target.

Suffice to say, if Target really will no longer accept printed coupons, I'll sadly have to take my shopping elsewhere since the deals offered by printed coupons are to great to ignore.

14 Replies

Re: Target No Longer Accepting ANY Printed Manufacturer Coupons

amyinoh
Rewards Guide

I’ll add that to the list of stores. Meijer here in my area won’t take them anymore either. I’m not sure if you have those where you are. They also said it was due to fraud. 

0 Likes

somecreative
Core Shopper

Not good!  I don’t get coupon inserts. I wish target would allow their online coupons for pick up orders. 

0 Likes

ct
Saver

But I just used a paper coupon at Target today 🤔

0 Likes

cheryl_123
Core Shopper

@katbruck1 thanks for posting this. I'm really sorry about what you had to deal with and the disappointing outcome. This probably explains my own experience at Target recently where the cashier rejected a double sided coupon directly from Kellogg's. I didn't push the issue and just had them remove the item (then took my business elsewhere). 

@amyinoh thanks for the heads up about Meijer. The one in my area still takes printable coupons but maybe not for long!

I get the sense that there's an effort among retailers to phase out printable coupons. I am finding it increasingly difficult to find them. Plus I just noticed in the latest Meijer weekly ad a promotion to use Ibotta to get 50 cents off Triscuits. So it's like a subtle push for people to use app based savings tools.

0 Likes

RaspberryParade
Rewards Hunter

I just used a printable as well, but the register would only accept one of the two printables I had.

0 Likes

phillyman
Saver

To get around this issue, can I link my Target account to Coupons.com? If I did so, would that cause problems for my existing ibotta link to Target?

I know many of you don't link accounts, but I link my ibotta to Target and Walmart so that I can do online orders with pickup.

LadyT1970
Saver

a few weeks ago, I planned a shopping trip to target. When I did use a manufactures coupon, I was charged 3 cents for each coupon off ensure. when I arrived home to scan my target receipt, Ibotta must be linked to target app to receive cash back. Personally, I choose to shop at another department store.

Tags (1)
0 Likes

dramaspoiler
Core Shopper

I think it really depends on the person at the register.  I have had places like Target and wholefoods say they don't accept any form of printed coupons despite it scanning and was actually mailed to me by the company.  Ironically one time it was a coupon emailed by their own company.  I think they just don't want to deal with coupon fraud from the ones that break the rules.  Some don't realize that most of the company profits come from these coupons that they get reimbursed 100% for.  So they might be hurting themselves and just have products on the shelf expire or being stolen/shoplifted (another issue).

So sad.  In the future it might just be digital from their own platform we can use if it applies.

0 Likes

Icequeen813
Deal Master

@phillyman No! CDC, SB, SK are not “partnered “ with Ibotta