cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When did you start using coupons, savings apps, etc?

Welshcar
Deal Ambassador

I'm curious to know how long people in the community have been deal seekers.

I started using coupons when I was 19; I'm now 56 (not sure how that happened 😜)

I used to subscribe to a magazine called Refunding Makes Cents, and this was way before computers and cell phones. The woman who published it eventually started an online service when computers became commonplace. I used her advice to get as many deals as I could by sending in rebate requests in the mail. She also published coupon deals.

Thank goodness Ibotta and other savings apps came along. I can't imagine ever doing it the old fashioned way. I'm also grateful for GPS, remember Thomas guides?

10 Replies

Re: When did you start using coupons, savings apps, etc?

SaverGirl67

I honestly don’t remember when I started but I know I used coupons when I was in college. I fall in and out of coupon use for various reasons as the years pass.

Lately I feel like I’m all guns blazing searching out the deals to replenish my stockpile/safety net. But I’ve recently refilled my pantries and my freezers so I feel like I can finally relax a bit and I don’t have to pursue every offer and bonus that is offered to me. 

Savingcraze
Skilled Saver

I began couponing as a teenager. I clipped coupons and rebate forms from the Sun paper, saved UPC's to send for rebates. Rite Aid was a MM each weekend w coupons and their rebates, so I got shampoo, health beauty for free. I'm glad the days of mailing off rebates is mostly over and we have more options now. 

Loves2Save
Skilled Saver

Depends on your definition of truly starting. I helped my mother clip and look at sales flyers as a kid. When I moved out I primarily shopped via sales ads as I didn't want to buy a paper and didn't need much. Around 2011 or so, I started SB and found bloggers that did matchups. I was hooked. I continued for many years until my time was just more valuable and have since went back and forth. Always doing sales, but not always committing to couponing or rebate apps. It's a hobby that has its ups and downs, but having a full stockpile of cleaning products when the pandemic started that I could share with others is def. part of the positive aspect. 

MelissaR
Skilled Saver

As far back as I can remember.  I grew up helping both grannies and my mom clip coupons and shop.  When I got married, I tried to use coupons when I remembered.  It wasn't until I had my 2nd baby that I *really* got into serious clipping & stockpiling.  I probably wouldn't go back to work (short story he was born early,  and in the NICU for 6 months following open-heart surgery.  All is well, even though he is developmentally delayed, he is still one stubborn 18 yo now!)  Around that time and even before I had my 1st, I was big on free samples and I used to go to a site called YesItsFree.  From there, someone started posting easy freebie deals at either Walgreens or Rite Aid.  So I started to pay attention to the sales.  Toothbrushes, toothpaste and shampoo were my first stockpiled items. A few years later, that site went kerput so I searched around for a grocery board.  I think it was The Penny Pincher or something like that and traveled to a few other forums, where I did coupon trades & trains.   And A LOT of mail in rebates.  If people now think waiting 48 hrs for a rebate is painful, try waiting 8-12 wks for that rebate ck to come in the mail!!

Then I started following Hip2Save.  And the rebate apps started to take off.   The first one I used was SavingStar, and some are now memories... MobiSave, Endorse, Shopmium a few I recall using before dying!  And then Ibotta came along somewhere in the middle of the comings and goings and I have been a faithful user since 2012.  Dang over 9 years now!! 

Now, I just follow a few FB groups, pop in here occasionally and visit a blogger that posts the CVS & Walgreens deals.

MargaretAdamski
Shopper

New app www.coupons.com you can use cell phone or PC computer to click what you need a coupons. 

you can use it and other coupons might not be in coupons.com.. Stack and click specifically items.  You would save money after use safeway coupons or fred meyer.com or other grocery in your hometown. Enjoying to use PC coupons from your prefer groceries. 

Very easy and less coupons. All you can click whatever you need. Have fun to useful grocery website!!

Last week ago I save 91 dollars and check senior cizten,too. 

0 Likes

Icequeen813
Deal Master

@Welshcar  3yrs ago after retirement, never used coupons 

mmoore01
Ultimate Saver

Growing up, we never had a lot of money.  My mom used coupons from the newspaper and both my sister and I helped.  We didn't have a car, either, so we either got a ride with a neighbor or walked.

Saving money has always been a part of my life.  When I finally got a smartphone, apps like Ibotta and SavingStar and a few others made saving easier. 

Because I am into computer programming, I remember the days when  computer stores like CompUSA and Circuit City drew in customers with rebates on computer supplies and equipment.  I even remember going to a Grand Opening of one of these stores and bought over $600 in stuff, all of it free after rebates.  Yes, it took 8-12 weeks, but I kept track of every one and got my money.

Ibotta does make it easier. I no longer have to mail in rebate forms.  Some even wanted self-addressed envelopes to be included, which was a pain.

Occasionally, there are app issues and network connection problems, but they are nothing like it was 20+ years ago.

Welshcar
Deal Ambassador

@MelissaR I remember SavingStar and the others! Glad to hear your 18 yo is healthy, and stubborn (been there 4 times 😉)

@MargaretAdamski  aren't digital coupons awesome?!

@Icequeen813  Lucky! I can't wait for retirement!

@mmoore01 I had similar circumstances as a kid, I guess that's why I'm always looking for the lowest possible price.

@SaverGirl67  @Loves2Save  I have ups and downs with effort as well, stockpiles are good

@Savingcraze So glad we don't have to rely on the mail!

Thanks everyone for sharing, its so interesting to know other people's motivation that there are others who enjoy doing this 😊

0 Likes

MargaretAdamski
Shopper

mmoore01, Wow you did save more than I do.. I was off from college and got a job that I have problem with no coupons and do not know where I start.. I moved to Seattle and I start more frequent use coupons late 1990's when my children were small. 

New cellphone are changed lot after I saw ABC Local news and collecting coupons and then use ibotta. I became addicited more than other SavingStar.. I spent on Amazon and addicted on Amazon, I thought I might not retirement shopping? Now my younger daughter use Ibotta. she beat me more faster than I am slow shopper. Then Coupon became crazy .. KrazyCoupons.. very interesting!! 

AS least I am saving money lot for retirement.