cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: CLR Mold & Mildew

ChipL955
Deal Sharer

@Rickibotta 

For ants: We live in Southern California, which is basically living on top of an ant hill. Our gardener’s wife swears that shaving up bars of original Irish Spring soap and burying the shards in the lawn and garden works to keep them at bay. We buy her an 8-bar pack once a year. (They’re free after Bonus Cash at Rite Aid starting tomorrow!) 

Inside, we did buy two sets of those Bell & Howell ultrasonic pest control devices that you plug into your electrical sockets. We put ‘em everywhere. They advertise them in catalogs but they might be available at Lowe’s or Home Depot. 

YMMV, but we haven’t had an ant problem in years. 

0 Likes

Saipan
Deal Ambassador

Wherever you put the Irish Spring, especially and enclosed space like a garage, takes on quite a pleasing fragrance, almost like some mood spray.

Xiao
Deal Ambassador

@OBSHOP  This is one of many reasons why I’m so hooked on this forum - you all have great wealth of knowledge!!! Thank you for sharing. Luckily, no ants for me but there are a couple of fruit flies that have been floating around lately. They are so tiny and sneaky, so it’s hard to swat them. We tried double bagging the trash to deter them but they just find their way to the ‘buffet’. Any advice?

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@Xiao 

I think the reason why I never have problems with fruit flies is that I keep almost all fruits and vegetables in the fridge.  I am not saying that is a solution because many fruits/veggies do not do as well in the fridge.  I know in general I should store it where I bought it.   I never keep bananas in the fridge though, but I don't mess with aged bananas.   They either get eaten or tossed by the time they start getting black spots.

I have no ideas for example why I keep red onions in the fridge, but I started keeping them in the cupboard recently and I find they do not have the same amazing taste as they do when kept in the fridge.  Is that in my mind?  I don't think so, but maybe......lol.

I know this is now what you asked really.   Sorry I have no great suggestions.  I just felt like sharing. 

"about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. BOILER UP!! Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"

OBSHOP
Deal Expert

@Saipan 

Irish springs soap is also a good defense for keeping squirrels out of you attic.

Ivory bar soap is great for clogging leaks in diesel fuel tanks 

Paying full price is optional

Sorensoj
Skilled Saver

@OBSHOP  if one is having leg cramps during the night, putting a bar of soap under the sheets will take care of it.  Don’t ask me the mechanism of how it works, but it works.

OBSHOP
Deal Expert

@Sorensoj 

I would not doubt it.  Many products have multiple uses other than which they were originally produced.

0 Likes

Lollykins
Core Shopper

@Rickibotta  My cleaning lady uses The Works to clean our glass shower doors, and it works like a charm!  She says nothing else (even CLR) does the job.

Also, those tiny little ants are probably sugar ants.  To get rid of them, mix Borax into some powdered sugar and sprinkle it in their trails - under the sink or wherever it looks like they're getting in.  It will take 7-10 days to work, but it will eliminate them. They take it back to their nest, which also eliminates the source. You can look up the measurements to use online.  Good luck!!🐜🐜🐜

Saipan
Deal Ambassador

@OBSHOP

Been able to wrangle the Army Worms?

OBSHOP
Deal Expert

@Saipan 

Went to Lowe's and purchased 

Screenshot_20210814-135528_Chrome.jpg

 and mixed it 

Screenshot_20210814-135617_Kroger.jpg

 I hope this has decreased their population. Incase you are wondering about the dawn it will kill insects plus it helps make the pesticide stick to the grass blades.