cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lotus - Tom Yum Rice Ramen

cjwoody
Deal Ambassador

🍜  Uhhhh, y’all… what a disappointment.  I was hoping that this would be some sort of level-up on the good ol’ 10 cent Maruchan ramen.  Sadly, that is not the case.  Even with 30% of the daily recommended sodium level, dare I say that this product needs salt?? 🤣  Also, the portion size is kinda weak, but not as weak as the broth.  That said, I did like the spice-level as well as the chew of the noodles, though they didn’t taste like anything.  If anyone has any tips on zhuzhing this up, I am all ears!

10 Replies

Re: Lotus - Tom Yum Rice Ramen

Tikiki
Core Shopper

I agree-lacks umpf and real substance!
Add vegetables, tofu, Thai basil, additional noodles (I wanted more noodles!) and some red pepper flakes or some Huy Fong Foods Chili Garlic Sauce. Oh, lemongrass ,a squeeze of lime juice and/or some kefir lime wouldn’t be out of place either! But then you could just make your own! 😂 

SaverGirl67

Definitely not a favorite but adding fresh Thai basil was a Really Big improvement!

cjwoody
Deal Ambassador

@Tikiki  @SaverGirl67  Yeah, these all sound like great ideas!  I’m no stranger to bulking up instant noodles with veggies and protein, but I was at a loss when it came to fixing the broth.  I have one more freebie because the offer reset for me a week or so ago.  Hopefully I can salvage it 🤣🍜🤣🍜🤣🍜🤣

DanyelN
Core Shopper

A soft boiled egg adds a lot to the broth for me, but I have never tried this brand.  Adding body to the broth with the slightly runny yolk makes it seem to take flavor better, especially heat, I like Chili oil.   I have never tried this (Because I can't find the product locally) but have heard that some folks add Kewpie Mayo to their ramen to boost the broth.  Good luck!

Tikiki
Core Shopper

@cjwoody @SaverGirl67 @DanyelN 

61B1DF70-437B-48D5-AB64-C2AB2587CD94.jpeg

 It’s lunchtime!!!! 

cjwoody
Deal Ambassador

@Tikiki  Definitely a level-up!

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@Tikiki   I think the picture is 1000% better than the product.   Although it was free....

Tikiki
Core Shopper

@FelskyNY    Send me yours!!! I love these! In addition to the tofu and broccoli 🥦 I added red pepper 🌶 flakes and a squeeze of lime. It was delicious on this 106 degree day! 😋 

0 Likes

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@Tikiki 

LOL at going from 'lacks umpf and real substance!'  to 'I lov these'.  🤣

Reminds me of my recent experience with Michelina's Chicken Fried Rice Frozen Meal - 8 oz. 

They were on sale for 88¢, so I bought 3 of them to prepare for a cheap & quick dinner...  Having had them before, I wanted more umpf this time and wanted to get rid of a few refrigerated items that were long in the tooth..

So I added:

• sauteed:  red onions, red pepper, yellow pepper, and garlic.
  • three egg  (nearing floating status)
  • tobasco, worcestershire, and cumin

Isn't that the best thing about cooking>  If you add the stuff you love to things you cook, it always makes it much better  😀😀😀

Ish was fire!!

"about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. BOILER UP!! Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"