cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WARNING: Splashless Clorox Bleach jug erodes

What-Shot
Super Saver

The other day I opened a jug of Splashless Clorox bleach that I had purchased a couple of years ago (before Covid). I was surprised that it was not "splashless," but was not concerned. After I poured out a bit, I noticed the jug dripping. Assuming it was from the spout, I wiped the drip away, but it continued to drip, drip, drip....and the bottle started constricting. 

The jug/bottle had eroded, developing a hole somewhere around the base (too small for my eye to see). I quickly placed it into a bucket where the remaining bleach quickly drained out of the jug and into the bucket. I went back to the shelf where it had been stored, and nothing (thankfully). It only began to leak after I opened/poured.

The frightening thing here is how easily the drip could have been overlooked. Children/pets could have been injured & property damaged. Thankfully, nothing of the sort at my place. Only an inconvenience. 

In terms of Clorox shelf-life, I am not very concerned about "reduced quality," but I am exceedingly concerned about erosion of the packaging that could lead to serious injury or damage

Yes, I wrote to Clorox and was told the shelf life of Splashless Clorox is 1-year from the DATE OF MANUFACTURING). Unfortunately, I've NOT read any warning about the risk of package erosion if storing Splashless Clorox longer than a year after mfg date. Who even knows how to decipher the MFG date from the printed codes? 

~ibotta.like.you.mean.it~
15 Replies

Re: WARNING: Splashless Clorox Bleach jug erodes

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@What-Shot  Oh wow - that could be so dangerous - thank you for sharing this warning. 

mmoore01
Deal Master

I wonder if this 1 year life is also true of other brands or kinds of bleach.

And without a date on the package, you have no idea how long the bleach is been in the jug.  Prior to Covid, it would not surprise me if some Clorox bottles have been on the shelf for months.

I would expect a company like Clorox to send you a coupon for a free bottle of Clorox to replace the one leaking.

Xiao
Deal Ambassador

@What-Shot  OMG! Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I also have a big bottle of pre-Covid Clorox bleach, so I checked it right away. I had it placed on top of a plastic planter tray but since you mentioned that it didn’t start to drip until you opened the cap, I just put it back without opening it. I’ll wait to face it when I actually need to use it. I’ll also have a bucket ready - thank you again!🙏

What-Shot
Super Saver

Yes, @mmoore01, they offered to mail me a coupon for free replacement. However, restocking the bleach is of little concern to me (since I rarely use bleach and it is rather inexpensive). 

I wish there would be a WARNING on the bottle. 

I still have the bottle as I am curious whether it would be helpful for examination. 

0 Likes

What-Shot
Super Saver

@Xiao. @mmoore01, @FelskyNY: I just edited my original post because I re-read my email response from clorox. Here it is verbatim:

• Our Clorox Splashless has a year of shelf life from the date of manufacture.

From the date of mfg? That's scary! Typically I don't read mfg dates. And when it comes to laundry supplies I've never even considered reading expiration dates. 

I maintain that if product packaging is at risk of eroding, that should be a SPECIAL WARNING printed on the label.  

Rickibotta
Deal Master

This is one of those things I would use typically 5 or 10 years after I bought it and figure if anything it may lose some of its punch.   I rarely use bleach simply because I avoid whites.    I probably had not bought bleach for 10 years or more when I bought the Splashless Clorox simply because it was a 67¢ mm with SB. 

“2022 New Year's Resolution: It’s time for me to be doing what I have been doing and that time is every day .”

What-Shot
Super Saver

@Rickibotta: I'm with you on the points that I rarely use bleach and that I wouldn't be concerned if my bleach would lose some punch.  

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@What-Shot 

I think we also are in agreement that we don't want that  (the inside peeling decompressing imploding leaking falling apart at the seams - or whatever you have going on over there) happening either.   That sort of trumps 'oh its just a bit out of date'......lol

“2022 New Year's Resolution: It’s time for me to be doing what I have been doing and that time is every day .”

What-Shot
Super Saver

@Rickibotta: I cannot see what happened inside the bottle. From the outside I still cannot locate the actual hole.

Initially, when I poured some out to use, the bottle started caving in up the side (from base to spout). Now, after rinsing out and passage of time, it is almost restored to normal shape. 

But you raise a good point: I should cut it open to see what happened inside!

I'm guessing the jug erosion has to do with the ingredient that made it "splashless." 

0 Likes