Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community suggestions on forum improvements

LaraL
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey folks,

So I'm looking at doing one more set of changes to the forum before the Holiday season kicks up, this time it'll be purely based on your the most popular (and possible) suggestions from you all. Based on the feedback in the Anonymous Community Feedback Survey it seems that the following things need to be improved:

• Improved navigation
  • Making the community more enjoyable
  • Making it easier to find answers to questions
  • Making it easier to find ways to save money
  • Restoring the "Ideas" section
  • Bringing in savers from the Facebook Groups *
  • More Ibotta staff engagement *

As for the items under our (Ibotta) control, I'm actually working on those and already making decent progress with some of them. I've marked those with an asterisk.

With the others, I have theories about how to address those but I wanted to open it up to you all first. Suggestions aren't limited to this list either. That being said, what recommendations do you have so that we can make this place the best it can be?

8 Replies

Re: Community suggestions on forum improvements

Dean
Deal Ambassador

I know I've mentioned this somewhere before but it would be helpful if we could search our own posts. I know we can subscribe to topics we create but I would also like to find my posts in other people's topics.

Was a solution found to handle expired deals? I think we left it at trying to edit and tag topics as EXPIRED or something like that. The problem was that board software was limited on handling old topics.

This one may be an unpopular opinion but I'm not a fan of the large images on the front page. The main thing I look at is the Community activity listing. Are there any options to allow each user to customize the look of the board?

Also on the front page, can more subjects be added to the Getting started frame? It might be useful for new members to include things like the glossary and other useful posts. 

LaraL
Community Manager
  • I'll add this and ask if it's possible. If so then that would be a great addition
  • We did not come to a final decision on handling expired deals as it required too much effort for the average person
  • The featured topics section is important for new users, but I could look into making it collapsable
  • I was actually wanting to get rid of that widget, I prefer new members to go to the Learn Ibotta category or boards to find resources, although maybe that's the wrong approach

TXbelle
Skilled Saver

@LaraL  Has anyone suggested that there be more icons besides the thumbs up for a like. Maybe the hysterically laughing face and a heart. Sometimes I would like to give more than a thumbs up but don't have time to add a post or maybe don't really have anything pertinent to say.

LaraL
Community Manager

Ok yeah, so like emoji reaction buttons for replies?

DanyelN
Core Shopper

I would love a way to navigate directly to unread comments on a post.  This would be great for those topics that get super long.  In most boards I belong to it will automatically take you to the unread comments when you click on a topic you have already read/commented on.  It would also be helpful to see which topics have new/unread comments even after you read that topic for the first time, like becoming bold again on the list when a new comment is posted.

LaraL
Community Manager

@DanyelN I really like that idea. Adding this to the list and I'll see if it's possible. Thank you for the suggestion!

mmoore01
Rewards Whiz

When I pull up a conversation that I have read before, but there are new posts, the system automatically sends me to the first new post that I haven't read.  If the discussion is really long, it may just put me at the bottom of page 1.

Click on your avatar picture in the top right corner and select Settings.  Select Preferences and then select Linear Layout.  Check Jump to First Unread Post in a Topic.

LaraL
Community Manager

I had no idea that was a feature, thank you!