cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Bonuses don't update unless cache cleared

Aangsparks
Rewards Guide

This used to happen to me until I updated my actual phone. My previous phone only had 2gb RAM with 1 full gb being used by the phone's system itself. Once I got my new Samsung S21 5G phone with 8gb RAM, all those issues disappeared. So, I say don't blame the Ibotta system when it just might be your underpowered phone causing these issues. And no...I do not work for Samsung...lol. @LaraL 

0 Likes

mmoore01
Rewards Whiz

You may be correct.  My phone has 16gb of ram, but I only have about a gig free.  

I have been doing Ibotta for more than five years and it has never been like this.  Maybe Ibotta has gotten bigger requiring more memory, but it should tell you when it can't do something.  Ignoring the problem doesn't fix it.

0 Likes

Amsta
Deal Sharer

What is clear cache and how do I do it on iPhone? 

0 Likes

Saipan
Deal Ambassador

@mmoore01

You are probably referring to the actual memory storage capacity versus RAM. If you have "16GB", than your maximum RAM is probably 1-2 GB. Very few phones have 16 GB of RAM right now.

You could try unistalling any unused apps. One main deficiency of Androids is no matter how much you "pause" apps that are needed, they still seem to run in the background and use resources. 

I noticed one day last week that the ibotta app seemed to update slower across its "counters". I chalked it up as a case of more users, system changes/updates, mainframe bandwidth being extended.

For reference, I have a Samsung Note 20 Ultra, 12 GB RAM, 128 GB memory. I generally have 5-6 GB of RAM free most of the time, and that is with primarily keeping only apps installed I use regularly. 

@Amsta 

Per your question: iPhone Cache 

mmoore01
Rewards Whiz

Thanks for the information.

I am aware that my phone may be a bit outdated, but I can't see spending $1000 or more for a phone.  Mine cost $40 and I am happy with it.

When it is time to upgrade, I am aware that the "new" phones in my price range now have a minimum of 32gb.

It just seems strange to me that computers and phones "need" gigs of memory just to work.

I currently support a system that was developed in the 1980's and had a max of 2 mbytes and a program had to be able to fit into 64 k of memory.  Antiquated, yes, but it works and has worked for over 40 years!

To each his own.  I guess I am too cheap to spend more money when I don't need to.

0 Likes

Dean
Deal Ambassador

@mmoore01  I'm in the same boat as I use an iPhone 6s with 16 GB. I've had to juggle apps in and out due to the limited storage. I've read that the 6s will be eligible for the iOS 15 upgrade but that doesn't mean it will fit on limited storage. I'm already trying to free up space this weekend to add a couple of shopping apps. That said, I don't think the ibotta app is especially large or that cache is an issue. I haven't seen the problems reported on my phone or iPad, which has 128 GB. I would also caution against clearing cache if you're not familiar with how it's done, although the ibotta app is pretty safe in case it's deleted since it's more of a client app where reinstalling it and logging back in should restore all your info.

“Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs…”
0 Likes

Donna2
Deal Ambassador

Should I also be doing the clear data when I have to clear cache? Clearing yhe cache always seems to work to update my bonus or make a new bonus appear but I'm not sure if clearing data is a good idea to do or not.

0 Likes

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@Donna2 

I believe that clearing data essentially is like going back to where you initially installed the app.  As a general rule, I never do this.  And when you clear data, I believe it also clears cache.  

"about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. BOILER UP!! Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"
0 Likes

Donna2
Deal Ambassador

@Rickibotta ok, I think I will just keep clearing cache as I need to. I don't like the idea of data going back to square one if I clear it. I'm afraid will cause issues I don't have. Really the only issue I'm having is having to clear cache often like so many others are. Otherwise, my reciepts are clearing fine with no weirdness of missing offers etc etc

0 Likes

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@Dean 

I have a TB of storage (512 GB onboard + 512GB SDHC card) and 8 GB RAM., and there are times that I had issues with new bonuses being pushed quickly.  Today I checked at 9:15 AM, and the MWMM was already showing up.

It also is a function of how many apps you have running and how efficient they are.at clearing their own cache, and how many apps doing stuff in the background, is bluetooth on or off.  So many factors

"about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. BOILER UP!! Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"
0 Likes