cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coupon wording vs coupon pictures

TDearmon
Shopper

Does anyone else get frustrated when the store won't honor your coupon because the product you're purchasing doesn't match the picture on the coupon but the wording on the coupon states "any size (larger size) &/or variety"? Walmart is the worse with this!!!

30 Replies

Re: Coupon wording vs coupon pictures

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@TDearmon 

The real question is why did the Q fail when scanned?

If it scans properly, you don't have to 'convince' the cashier.

I am glad most stores allow me to scan my own Qs at SCO.  

The biggest cashier FAIL when scanning Qs:  They slide the Q landscape orientation, and it is a long bar code, so it misses half of it.  Then after they do it several times and tell me I can't use it because it doesn't scan, I ask them to please let me scan it, and it works.   The second thing they do wrong all the time is they don't cover up the smaller product bar code on the PQs.

“2022 New Year's Resolution: It’s time for me to be doing what I have been doing and that time is every day .”

mmoore01
Rewards Whiz

I have been very lucky with my Walmart.  First, I always go to self-checkout.  Like @Rickibotta said, it is easier if you do it yourself.

There are a number of issues that can come up.  Sometimes, it is simply they want an associate to check it before it goes through, so you have wait until someone comes over to help.  If the coupon is about to expire, they have to check it.

When there is a problem, I show them what I bought and they read the coupon and they punch it in manually.  Once, I had a manager come over and he OK'ed the coupon.

If you got the coupon from a newspaper, they almost always work.  The ones you print out yourself sometimes don't work.  If the coupon doesn't work, I tell them I don't want the item and that I am going to Publix where they like coupons.

Dean

Something similar happened last week at Walmart. I went through self checkout as usual and a $1.50 print coupon I got from the Angel Soft website was rejected, and the associate said they couldn’t manually enter coupons anymore. So I didn’t buy it. The next trip to HEB I was able to use the coupon through self checkout without any problem. I guess the Walmart database wasn’t up to date on coupons. 

(’๏_๏`) The moment you realize 2022 is pronounced “2020 too”.

nanathecouponer
Shopper

Yes all the time ,, sometimes it makes me feel like they can't read the coupon all they can do is see pictures

Janet1964
Super Saver

Yes, it makes me so angry. I tell them I learned to read in school not just look at the pictures. I know; I know how to win friends and influence enemies.

I have more problems with coupons printed directly from the mfr website not scanning.

and then when you get an insert coupon that is smudged by printing. I tell them I didn’t not print it- I am not a printer - it is obvious that it is a newspaper coupon.

the worst is the buy 1 get 1 free coupons. Walmart is the best at those without Assisstance at SCO.

and my favorite is you can’t use 2 coupons- then why does it say limit 4 like coupons in each shopping trip by the mfr on the coupon.

I have learned the system at Kroger and it expects you to scan the coupon a certain way and will not take it if it not scanned that particular way. I had to teach an associate that the other day- he was impressed and said I just saved him a ton of time.

OBSHOP
Deal Expert

@TDearmon 

Coupon nightmare at Kroger's.  I attempted to redeem a mfg Q and store discount for Allegra.  I found the offer in the Sunday paper, the offer specifically stated it could be combined with Q's and store discounts.

Well at checkout I didn't receive the reward for this offer.  When I told the cashier she referred me to the customer service counter.  I explained to the employee what happened should her the offer I clipped from the paper. The first thing she told me was I was not allowed to stack offers. I assumed she was giving me a generic reply and requested to speak with the supervisor of cashiers. 

The cashier supervisor was very adamant I was stacking offers and that's not allowed.  I persuaded her to read the printing on the offer. "Can be combined with mfg Q and other store offers" I asked her did I need to explain what can be combined with, means? She still refused to honor my coupon.

I noted her name and position went home and emailed the district manager. I sent photo of store shelf label, offer from paper, and receipt.  In about 2 weeks I received a reply from the district manager, which he apologized for the conduct of the cashier and supervisor.  He also honored the reward on offer and refunded my purchase. 

I never argue with cashiers, if I can't resolve my issue with the MOD I'll send an email to his or her supervisor. 

"I would rather have and not need than need and not have"

OBSHOP
Deal Expert

@Janet1964 

It's very annoying when a cashier assumes I have not read the conditions as printed on the coupon. 

• 1 coupon per item
  • 1 identical coupon 
  • 1 per day per household 
  • 4 identical coupon 

Many times the cashier will not or not willing to accept multiple identical coupons. Because they have been improperly trained. 

On more than one occasion I have had to train Walgreens cashier "1 coupon per item" means 1 product 1 coupon, each product must have a coupon, unless the coupon is for multiple products.. then they have the audacity to ask me can I read? I then reply I can but can you comprehend? 

0 Likes

Dean

Another thing is getting store coupons for things they don't carry in that store. I've had this happen at HEB several times. I've asked about it and the response is that those items are sold at larger stores and they have no control of coupons printed.

I've noticed something similar with Target Circle coupons. The last two weeks while searching through TC, I noticed some products that have been discussed here recently. Babybel Plus+, Flow water, Snyder's Twisted Pretzel Sticks, and Klondike Shakes. All of these are in TC and all of these are not sold at my local store. Not available for pickup, delivery, or shipping. I've also found other products this week that are the same - FAGE yogurt, Eggland's frozen breakfast, Planet Oat oatmilk, Dannon Oikos yogurt, and etc. What's the point of offering these coupons?! Target should be able to filter these out from areas where the products aren't available. There's only one store in my city. It's not like I'm going to drive two hours to the next nearest store. 

(’๏_๏`) The moment you realize 2022 is pronounced “2020 too”.
0 Likes

OBSHOP
Deal Expert

@mmoore01 @Dean 

Checkout catastrophe at Walmart. I was redeeming an offer for a free plush toy from American Greeting cards.

Buy 2 Greeting cards and get a free plush toy. 

I also had a coupon for purchasing 2 Greeting cards. 

The cashier didn't want to accept the coupon for the stuffed toy because she scanned the coupon for discounting the cards. 

She told me she couldn't because the coupons were identical. Well I knew she didn't understand and explained to her.  

The first coupon was for the cards, which the scanner accepted. The second coupon is for the plush toy, with conditions must purchase 2 Greeting cards. I then told her "ma'am I have the required 2 Greeting cards" would you please scan the coupon for the plush toy if there's an error the coupon will be rejected.

Well, after spending 3 minutes convincing cashier to scan coupon, I was able to complete my transaction. 

It gets annoying when cashiers examine coupons as if they are forensic crime seen investigators.