cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FA job squashed by manager

Mikosmama
Core Shopper

Wow, I can’t believe I just got kicked out of a store for taking pictures for a Field Agent job. I was taking the last picture for a display dash. He came up to me and said “can I ask why you’re taking pictures of our store?” I was excited to tell him and show him the Field Agent app. He refused to look and quickly backed away like I was going to attack him. He was already upset when he came up to me, but his voice started raising more, “you can’t just go into a store and take pictures!” I told him different companies go through Field Agent for marketing purposes but he said "you need documentation from Dollar General to be in here." He called someone in the Dollar General company (I am not sure who) and then he said again "you have to leave you can't be in here. It is against the law to go into a store and take pictures of it, something called the privacy act.” I tried being very kind and calm but I was shaking inside. This manager has a reputation for being nasty to everyone so I am not surprised he did it to me also. But I am wondering have any of you who do FA had this problem? Would this privacy act forbid us from going into a store and taking pictures of products? I just don’t know what to think about this situation.

0 Likes
12 Replies

Re: FA job squashed by manager

cjwoody
Saver

@Mikosmama I have only been on FA for two weeks, but your post prompted me to research FA’s position on this scenario.  This is a helpful article from the FA site. You did the right thing by being polite to the employee, and it sounds like your safety is intact, which is the most important thing.

https://support.fieldagent.net/hc/en-us/articles/115000028014-What-if-I-am-approached-by-an-employee...

Be-Bop-A-Lula
Rewards Advocate

@Mikosmama I’m so sorry this happened to you. You did the right thing by staying calm and leaving when asked.  Fortunately, this has not happened to me.  For the most part, I avoid audits and stick with buy and try jobs. It is hard to be a secret shopper when photos are required especially in a smaller store like DG.  My understanding is you can take pictures, but if questioned, don’t discuss FA and definitely leave if asked.

SaverGirl67

@Mikosmama   So sorry you had a hard time. Here is FA’s information regarding this circumstance. It looks like you were right to stay calm and it’s not against the law - but you’re not supposed to mention the program. Hope your next job goes smoothly. 

FA FAQ-

It is not illegal to take pictures in stores. It might be against a store's policy, so they can ask you to leave. Also, no one can touch or take your personal property without your permission.

If you are ever confronted by a store employee while doing a job, please represent yourself and Field Agent well by being respectful and polite. Then, if questioned, you could tell them you are taking photos of a product to get a friend or family member’s opinion, or, some Agents like to wear headphones while doing photo audits, so it looks like they are just listening to music, etc.

However, if you are asked to stop or leave the store by store personnel, then you should politely comply. Then, continue to complete the job you were working on by filling the photo slots with place-holder photos of the exterior of the store location

Mikosmama
Core Shopper

@SaverGirl67 @Be-Bop-A-Lula @cjwoody 

Thank you all! I was trying to figure out where to look on the FA app for info on this type of situation but couldn’t find it. I appreciate all of your insights. I see now that I definitely shouldn’t have mentioned FA. I will certainly be more picky about which jobs I accept! 

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@Mikosmama  I'm sorry the manager gave you such a hard time. I generally prefer to buy and try, but I have gotten some odd looks in the smaller stores when doing audits. I would also agree, be polite and leave the store. Explain it in the app and submit. I'm sure you were pretty upset, although you did nothing wrong. I did a lager buy and try in 7-11 today and I felt that everyone was looking at me take pics of the display, but noone seemed to give a dam-n. Don't let it get you down.

jlhersback
Saver

@Mikosmama I had meijer security follow me when I was doing an audit of pop sockets. They didn’t say anything. I pretended I didn’t see them and finished up my pics and then did my shopping. It was a bit nerve racking but I had a bit of a laugh about it later. 

Mikosmama
Core Shopper

Thank you @FelskyNY 💕 I am a soft-spoken, shy person typically, so when these problems in stores come up it bothers me so much. I had quit couponing for years because of hating being on the spot when problems arised at the register. Ibotta really reinvigorated my love for saving. I was really enjoying FA since I started but now I think I have to corral it back a bit and only accept jobs that I will be more comfortable with. Being in a small town area the few jobs that do come up are usually scooped up quickly so I was excited about every job I could get. 

Mikosmama
Core Shopper

@jlhersback , it’s awesome that you could laugh about it later! That’s the best reaction you could have had about that uncomfortable situation! It’s best not to take ourselves too seriously, which I need to remember at this moment.

0 Likes

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@Mikosmama  I would have apologized and crawled out with my tail between my legs, so don't think you are alone in that.  I may seem pretty self assured here on the boards, but trust me, we all have our own insecurities.  When it comes to my kids (although they are "men"), I'll always be a mama-bear, but when it comes to myself - not so much.  Be proud of yourself, I am!