cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Solved! Go to solution

Question about how returns affect the cashback for online purchases

Zombie
Core Shopper

I intend to make an online/in-app purchase at JCPenney. I realized that I can get 9% cashback through Ibotta (yay!), however I intend to return a large portion of the purchase (for example, I am buying a winter coat but it is difficult to decide on a coat when only 2 out of the 10 I am interested in are in stock at my local store so I am ordering all 10 coats and intend to choose 1 to keep and will return the rest).

So let's say hypothetically I order $1000 worth of products from JCPenney (initiating the purchase from Ibotta to get the cash back). Then I figure out which items I want to keep and return $750 of those items (keeping $250 of my initial purchase). Will I still receive 9% cashback on the items I keep, or will making a return nullify/reverse the entire amount of cashback I would receive?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Accepted Solutions
Solved! Go to solution

Re: Question about how returns affect the cashback for online purchases

LaraL
Rewards Whiz

@Zombie you'll likely get full credit and then a deduction once JCPenny tells us a return has been made.

I would also be careful as I've seen instances like this result in an account lock.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Solved! Go to solution

LaraL
Rewards Whiz

@Zombie yeah I mean, with this particular scenario I would be cautious. There's lots of automated flags that will go off when a return with a high amount is processed.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Solved! Go to solution

mmoore01
Ultimate Saver

I have not made an online purchase from JCPenney, so I can't give you anything concrete.  Some stores send detail information to Ibotta, so those stores probably send detail return information to Ibotta.  I do not know about JCPenney.

The worst case, you don't get anything, but I don't think that would be the case.  However, if Ibotta removed the complete credit amount, I would open a request to Ibotta with copies of my email receipts (and returns) to show that your final amount was $250.  I believe Ibotta will give you credit for 9% back on the $250.

I would also take screenshots of the current percentage back since this can change multiple times over the next couple of weeks.

The other option is to make multiple purchases.  You could purchase each item in a separate order.  Those you return, you won't get credit.  The ones you keep will earn you the amount back from Ibotta.  It could also count as multiple purchases towards bonuses. 

Accounting my Ibotta app, JCPenney should give you cash back within 7 days..

0 Likes
Solved! Go to solution

OBSHOP
Shopping Enthusiast

@Zombie 

To the best of my knowledge most online purchase are pending for at least 90 days . Making returns may void any rebates links to your purchase.  It isn't recommended for you to make returns when you make purchases doing so might trigger a fraud investigation or having your account locked.   

"To Whom you give your money to; is to whom you give your power to"
0 Likes
Solved! Go to solution

Zombie
Core Shopper

@mmoore01 unfortunately I cannot purchase each item individually because I will be using a one-time-use %off coupon on the transaction. So to make use of the coupon, I am buying everything (whether I'll end up keeping it or not) in the same transaction.

@OBSHOP oh, that is a VERY concerning thought... I definitely do not want to compromise my Ibotta account. Ibotta helps me survive with limited income.

@LaraL any input? I don't want to commit fraud or lose my account. I was hoping to learn that, in the above scenario, either my cashback would be automatically adjusted after making returns (ideal situation) or that I just wouldn't get to keep any cashback (worst case). It would be devastating to lose my account (not exaggerating) so if making a purchase with the intent to return more than half the items would jeopardize my account, I just won't use Ibotta for the purchase. Please advise. Thanks!

0 Likes
Solved! Go to solution

LaraL
Rewards Whiz

@Zombie you'll likely get full credit and then a deduction once JCPenny tells us a return has been made.

I would also be careful as I've seen instances like this result in an account lock.

0 Likes
Solved! Go to solution

mmoore01
Ultimate Saver

@Zombie 

If you are using a coupon, you may not be able to get the Ibotta percentage, too.  The details says that the "offer is not valid in combination with coupons, promo codes or discounts".

Of course, I believe it is up to JCPenney to submit that information to Ibotta.  Whether you can get credit for the one-time-use % off coupon AND Ibotta, I can't say.  My experience with other retailers, their coupons give me back more money than Ibotta, so I would always try to use the coupon.  If I also get something from Ibotta, then that's just extra.

0 Likes
Solved! Go to solution

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@Zombie 

I would not even do this thru ibotta.  It is not worth a risk of account lock..

“2022 New Year's Resolution: It’s time for me to be doing what I have been doing and that time is every day .”
0 Likes
Solved! Go to solution

Zombie
Core Shopper

@mmoore01 I was not aware of that

@LaraL @Rickibotta so it sounds like "be careful" = I'm probably better off just skipping the Ibotta rebate for this purchase.

It's not worth the risk of losing my account for the $25-30 cashback I'd earn on the items I'd end up keeping. I'm getting a FANTASTIC price on the items anyway.

Thanks for everyone's input!

0 Likes
Solved! Go to solution

LaraL
Rewards Whiz

@Zombie yeah I mean, with this particular scenario I would be cautious. There's lots of automated flags that will go off when a return with a high amount is processed.

0 Likes