cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Purchasing Gift Cards via ibotta

Ibotta-Addict
Skilled Saver

I REALLY REALLY appreciate ibotta's recently added option to purchase gift cards WITHOUT having a linked debit card. YAY....ibotta!

I've used it a couple of times, but here's my question: Does the CASHBACK %  for a particular gc (eg 4% back) change after I've redeemed one gc? Or does the cb rate stay stable after redeeming.

As with regular ibotta rebates, I know that sometimes they do not refresh, some times they refresh at SAME rebate value, other times at REDUCE rebate value. 

So it makes me curious about whether cg refresh in the same way?

0 Likes
5 Replies

Re: Question about Purchasing Gift Cards via ibotta

OBSHOP
Shopping Enthusiast

@Ibotta-Addict 

If I'm understanding your question correctly.  When you purchase a gift card you receive cash back at the time of purchase.

Screenshot_20211106-135543_Ibotta.jpg

The cards in the above screenshot have fixed amounts of cash back which is paid to you upon purchase.

This rate is subject to change at any time or discontinue like in the case of the disappearing Amazon gift card. So the next time you purchase the same card the cash back percentage could change.  

"To Whom you give your money to; is to whom you give your power to"

Ibotta-Addict
Skilled Saver

@OBSHOP: Appreciate your input. I do already understand that the cg cashback amounts may change at any time, but what I'm trying to ask is whether the cashback amount available to me is changed merely by the fact that I've already redeemed one gc at a particular value. 

To use your screenshot as reference: Would Applebee's remain at 5% after redeeming it? or would it be reduced simply because I've already availed of it at the 5% rate?

0 Likes

OBSHOP
Shopping Enthusiast

@Ibotta-Addict 

OK,  when you purchase gift cards you only receive cash back on the initial gift card purchase. If you would purchase gift cards from Applebee's you would receive 5% on each card purchased not the purchases made using the gift card.

"To Whom you give your money to; is to whom you give your power to"

mmoore01
Ultimate Saver

If you buy an Applebee gift card, you earn 5% back into your Ibotta account.  If you bought a second Applebee gift card, the percentage can change, but generally not in the same day.

Ibotta does occasionally increase or reduce the percentage you earn for buying a gift card.  Sometimes a particular store or merchant can disappear or be added.

Once you have purchased a gift card, you can do whatever you want with it.  You can give it away or spend it.  You can even save it for a big sale you know is coming up.  Each card shows the minimum amount, but the maximum amount for all gift cards per day is $250.

Saver1
Rewards Hunter

How do you purchase a gift card without linking a debit card??

0 Likes