cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens when a Submission goes to Pending?

mmoore01
Ultimate Saver

Why do some receipts that are scanned are paid out almost immediately and others can take a day or more?  What is Ibotta doing with the information while we wait for the transaction to complete?

I purchased TWO boxes of Capn Crunch cereal and one Flipz Bites.  Each were for $.50 for a total of $1.50 back.  When I scanned my receipt, only one box of Capn Crunch and the Flipz Bites were found.  I changed the quantity of the Capn Crunch to 2 and scanned both boxes.  I submitted it and everything looked good, though it was pending.

This morning, I noticed that I only received $1.00 back from Ibotta: one box of Capn Crunch and the Flipz Bites.  

So, what does Ibotta do to the transaction while I wait for it to complete?  If I say I bought TWO, I thought they would review the receipt and verify I bought TWO.  But this didn't happen.  Not only are the items rung up on separate lines, they are different flavors of Capn Crunch and both scanned perfectly. 

I have seen many Ibotta users say they didn't get credit for more than 1 when they bought multiple of the same item, but I guess I assumed that the item was listed ONCE with a quantity instead of each item on a separate line.  I would have hoped that by now, Ibotta would have corrected this bug and fixed the review process. 

I have already opened a Request and will wait patiently for my $.50, but it just seems like this kind of problem is what drives so many Ibotta users away.  This was a simple purchase.  I can imagine the frustration when someone buys 15-20 Ibotta offers and half of them are not credited. 

To me, Ibotta should be spending time and money to FIX the process and keep their user base instead of recruiting more users.  Why would anyone recommend Ibotta to their friends if these kind of issues still happen after YEARS of activity and refinement.

Of course, I am a loyal Ibotta user and want to save money, so I will continue to put up with these types of problems, but I understand those that won't.

Just my thoughts. 

10 Replies

Re: What happens when a Submission goes to Pending?

MerSadie
Saver

Yes yes yes!!! I AGREE 100%!!!

Nique
Deal Ambassador

My observation is that for at least the last month, more receipts have been getting stuck in pending for more than 48 hours. Most of the time they are simple receipts where I only purchased one item. The items were recognized immediately, so no barcode scanning was needed. Even an “any receipt” submission got stuck in pending.

Dean

I’ve had the opposite happen more often when the app recognizes more than I bought. The app will show two of something when I only bought one, so I change it before finishing. Then the pop up message shows with two items redeemed. 🤦🏻‍♂️ I’ve reported it and the response has always been the same with thanking me for being honest and just keep the earnings. Nice but that still doesn’t resolve the underlying problem with the app.

Posting tip: Add viewable photos using the toolbar's camera option.

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@LaraL 

Are you able to tell us whether or not PENDING is always a manual process or not?

I am assuming it may be because pendings always at least last a half hour or more.

“2022 New Year's Resolution: It’s time for me to be doing what I have been doing and that time is every day .”
0 Likes

123Save
Skilled Saver

@mmoore01 💯%

This is exactly where Ibotta IT needs to focus on. It is sooooo frustrating. The receipt is clear & the line item text is nice and bold; the items are scanned and verified. You expect to be credited the amount that is initially shown.

What’s the point of a manual review/pending period if it results in false information that requires the saver to tie up the Care Team with unnecessary tickets?

Why is optimizing efficiency not a main pillar of Ibotta’s business model?

@LaraL Thoughts?

LaraL
Rewards Whiz

There are many things going on behind the scenes to create a smoother experience. Unfortunately we can't address eery single one of these simultaneously, so there are different features being worked on at different times.

0 Likes

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@LaraL 

I am an IT guy, so I understand triage..  I was just wondering if all pendings go thru manual review or not? 

“2022 New Year's Resolution: It’s time for me to be doing what I have been doing and that time is every day .”
0 Likes

Tikiki
Rewards Advocate

@mmoore01    Yaaaaaaaasssssss!!!! I’d love to wholeheartedly recommend Ibotta to everyone, but I can’t because of the exact scenario you describe. Sometimes getting credit due can be a frustrating and time consuming experience for which many people just don’t have the patience.

@Dean  EXACTLY what you described happened to me today. I got more credit ($1.50) than I should have DESPITE my due diligence in changing the quantity. Because I know the care team is overwhelmed it seems pointless and perhaps even counterproductive to send a message to them about the overage. 

0 Likes

LaraL
Rewards Whiz

@Rickibotta I believe it varies from case to case. Majority likely are automated, not manually reviewed.

0 Likes