cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deal Posting Requirements - Ideas?

Dean

Since there's been some discussion about how deals are posted, I thought this would be a good time to share ideas on how to post deals. This includes determining what should be considered a deal and how to handle duplicate posts. My thought is that subject lines should identify the product, deal, store, and savings program if it's not Ibotta. Links should be included in the message body to any coupons or sites required for the deal. Images are nice but not required, but images should not be considered as replacements for any detail information mentioned previously. Deals should only be posted in the Deals or Deal Stacking forum. But probably the most important action before posting a deal is to check if the deal hasn't already been posted.

This brings us to repost, which is basically posting a deal that has already been posted. This should not be done. But what is a repost? If there is post about a deal to save $1 on Charmin at Publix, and then another post about saving $1 on Charmin at Walmart, is that a repost? I don't have a Publix in my area so I don't normally look at those posts, but I do have Walmart. Adding the Walmart information to the Publix post would probably result in some people missing that deal.

So what are you thoughts and ideas? Remember that this is just a discussion and everything is voluntary. Nothing is being implemented at this time.

Helpful Links
Ibotta | Help Center | Contact Info

19 Replies

Re: Deal Posting Requirements - Ideas?

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@Dean 

The basic repost is not a grey area.  The recent discussions are of this variety.

For example, I post a deal for FREE SunnyD at kroger.  Then two hours later, you post the same deal.  That is a repost.  That should be deleted.

If you post a deal instead for the same deal at WM, you can either add on to my post, or create a new one.  If you do not have Kroger you may very well go with a new thread, and that is okay.

Let's not overcomplicate this to start with.  The easiest thing to eliminate is the actual repost.  Same terms and same store.  

“about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. BOILER UP!! Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"

mmoore01
Deal Master

I would like to add that a DEAL is something that is still available (at least at the post time).  If it was something you got last week when it was on sale, it should go under Hauls & Wins.  Is there a Brag section?

Personally, I would like to see all the details.  No need to do the intermediate math, just how much it costs at your store, the coupons used, apps used and the final total before taxes. 

Extra Bucks earned should be included, but Extra Bucks used should not.  Same with Register Rewards, etc.  Using rewards previously earned is the same as cash paid.

I am OK with Clearance prices as long as it says it was on clearance.  This is hard for others to benefit from if their store doesn't have it on clearance, too.

mmoore01
Deal Master

I agree with @Rickibotta on the reposts.  If an offer is posted and someone else also posted it an hour later, the posts can either be merged together or simply delete one of them. 

0 Likes

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@mmoore01 

Brag is a term that I use for 'haul' that goes back to perhaps the 20th century.  It was commonly used in numerous couponing groups.  I personally can't just start calling these 'hauls' because others do. Anyway, when I post a brag. I put it in the HAULS & WINS folder, but still provide all the math.

Clearance price deals are brags/hauls instead of a deal since a deal can be replicated.  I agree that gift cards. EB, and WC used as payment can't be used in a deal since not everyone walks into a deal with these "Other forms of cash"

“about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. BOILER UP!! Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"

Saipan
Deal Expert

Reposts could be merged if there is a credible reason to do so. This has been done in the past for other topics. 

0 Likes

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@Dean 

Just to be clear, when I am talking about the gory details like whether you use GCs or EB, etc, and how you calculate it, I am not expecting that to be monitored or enforced.  But I will call someone out on these things.  That is par for the course in a forum.

It also drives me nuts when someone creates a post that is void of basic details as well.   Common decency dictates some details should be used, but it isn't really anything that can be or likely even should be enforced.

Thread titles like:

• 'Kroger Deal' - cmon, at least put the name of the product, and maybe the price paid
  • FREE Pizza - what kind of pizza, what brand, what store, how much
  • $1 Red Baron Pizza - Where at?  If it is at Meijer, put that in the title since most don't have a Meijer.

The only thing I believe the mods should be enforcing is deleting true reposts.  There is no excuse for not doing so.    If is is reported the first day or so, I see no reason why they should even be merged.  That often makes things extremely confusing.  I know some posters may get their feelings hurt if their post is deleted, but that is the price one pays for not checking to see if it is a repost in the first place.   As I said, I always ask to have my post deleted if I realize it is a repost.  This is just fair and considerate to the original poster.

Icequeen813
Deal Master

You want to make this so formal… This Community used to be fun & informative. There is some camaraderie among users . Perhaps you should consult the Community Manager.For some of us this is a first attempt with “social media”& not experienced in spreadsheets.,,protocols, etc.  I

OBSHOP
Shopping Enthusiast

Posting deals, Well I think this forum should remain as simple as possible and not be complicated with all the details as if it was a quarterly report for stockholders. 

What exactly is a deal? If I save a dollar and want to share with the community, it should not be scrutinized for the lack of information or too much information. 

Posting deals, I have posted deals for the same product and the same topic more than once and out of respect for the community member with the earlier post I will take it upon myself and self-edit my post by deleting or adding as a comment to the earlier post.  (Blue Diamond almond milk is a totally different product from peanut butter even though both deals were offered at Korgers). 

Sharing with the community is fun and should stay that way without being complicated to appease one's eagerness to flatter other community users with their self-imposed brilliance.  All this being said is to say just keep it simple and encourage inclusion by all members in the community, stay respectful, and if you think you have a good keep sharing those deals.       

Don't let what you don't have prevent you from enjoying what you do have.

Sorensoj
Skilled Saver

@Icequeen813 

I agree with you.  This is suppose to be a relaxed place to engage with other people who are interested in saving some coin with Ibotta.  What is being proposed appears very control freakish and not appropriate for this venue.  Allow others to express their posts how they see fit.  Deal with repeat reposters on a case by case basis, if needed.  

Tags (1)