cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Deal Posting Requirements - Ideas?

Rickibotta
Deal Master

If a person posts each month about their FREE Kroger item such as peanut butter, and the post mentions others may have a different FREE item, and the post tells others how to find their free item,  that post is really about the free item.  So an additional thread about FREE almond milk that mentions others may have a different FREE item, is a repost.  Because the bottom line is the deal is for a FREE item at Kroger as Best-Customer Bonus.   And editing the post afterwards to remove the part about others getting a different product does not change that fact.

To me it is a simple matter of respect.   And for someone to mention respect in a post where they use a term like "self-imposed brilliance" is very rich indeed.   That is the only disrespectful comment in this whole thread.

Other comments regarding usage of EB/ECB, etc were a result of Dean asking for opinions about things and everyone is allowed to offer those opinions.  I, for one, only advocated for deleting reposts.  Nobody said posts should be banned or deleted if they did not meet certain criteria.   And nobody said everyone should use spreadsheets, but similarly those of us who do so should not be insulted.  Those of us who actually find deals from this site appreciate all the details that clearly show how to get it for a price someone mentioned.

I don't mind being singled out here for my beliefs.  There are many others who post deals who feel the same way, but based on some of the rebuttals, I can see why many of them will not comment and risk the wrath of those with dissenting opinions.  The response to 'complete reposts should be deleted' is literally 'we don't want to have to search before posting a deal' and 'it just isnt fun if I cant just post whatever I want without checking first.'

And for those of us who spend a great deal of time tracking down deals, it is not too much to expect reposts to be deleted.   That in no way impacts how much fun this community is.  A lot of the responses here are more straw man arguments and ad hominem attacks.

@mmoore01 offered some opinions earlier that apparently also aren't appreciated, but he is always offering assistance on the board.  He is one of just two active users with 'accepted solutions badge of 50 or more, and he is double that.   He should not be dismissed for his opinions any more than those should be with competing ones.  

I just wanted to get one last post in before Dean locks this thread.  I respect the fact that others think differently than I do, so I am good, especially since I fully realize that my brilliance is not 'self-imposed.'  😀

“about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. BOILER UP!! Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"

Joey55
Rewards Hunter

Yeah I want to know 

0 Likes

Blessed0301
Deal Sharer

Gm to everyone and thank you to @OBSHOP & @Icequeen813 for letting us feel good to be a part of the ibotta community.

Loves2Save
Skilled Saver

@Rickibotta  I agree with you and am willing to say so publicly. If someone wants to show a picture and a final price without details it should go under wins. It’s not a deal (for others) or helpful to not explain the breakdown. It’s just a brag, which is cool and fine, but makes this forum less useful. Titles that don’t explain store or product names also feel like clickbait, I wouldn’t say we need rules around it, but common decency would dictate that it should be frowned upon.

Dean

I want to remind everyone about the community guidelines and that conversations should remain civil and respectful.

I started this thread after seeing the conversations in other threads and how posts were being made. I'm not doing this to appease any one individual. These ideas go back further than any recent activity on this board.

I'm not looking to make things formal or rigid, but some uniformity would be helpful. The reason people post deals is to share information. I would think that posters would want their shares to be helpful. That doesn't mean complicated structures are needed to explain a deal. Simple posts can be just as helpful with the right information. Here's a good example of that from today.

https://community.ibotta.com/t5/deal-stacking/free-tiny-tate-s-cookies-at-publix/m-p/101542

Free (Deal) Tiny Tate's Cookies (Product) at Publix (Store) - (DQ - Program is in the message body)

I worked in a profession that required creating a lot of documentation. This included instructions for users of different skill levels. The preference was to have documentation that new users could understand. This site is full of users who are new to Ibotta and looking for ways to save. That's the group who would benefit the most from complete deal descriptions.

I should have titled this thread Suggestions instead of Requirements. My bad. I won't change the title because it might be confusing to new readers. I'm not suggesting that anything will be mandatory. Everything is voluntary here. But there are also guidelines for the board that should be followed. There are additional guidelines for moderators. Although the guidelines do not mention how to handle reposts, it does cover removing posts, and it specifically states "Content should never be deleted from the community." Posts that need to be removed will be moved to a private board and the author will be informed of the move. Additionally, posts may be edited by the moderators to comply with the guidelines.

The bulk of this conversation has covered reposts. Are there any other ideas on posting deals? New users are welcomed to add their thoughts.

Helpful Links
Ibotta | Help Center | Contact Info

Saipan
Deal Expert

This thread does raise a thought I have had recently about the subject headings, but I see no reason to govern it closely. Below is an example, and this is in no way a knock against the OP, as I am prone to using nicknames for stores. So an example of a forum heading and a response heading together. 

Credit delays 

León de comida Credit delays

"Credit delays" is a broad description that could cover in-store, online, unlinked, and/or linked accounts. I posted in the same thread but used a nickname that only regular users might recognize if they used the search bar to look for a subject. Just so happens, it is the formal name of the retailer, just translated into another language. 

When I went to make my response I couldn't find the thread using the search function at first, because searching using the formal retailer name didn't work. I had to manually scroll the main board.

No problem either way, just what got me thinking about it. We all think different, save different, and post different. It is nice to have as much flexibility as possible, but I understand the benefit of order. 

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@Saipan 

Let's say someone mentions a deal for Wasa crackers in the CREDIT DELAYS thread.   I don't consider it a repost if someone later creates a new thread "Food Lion:  FAO Wasa Crackers".  Deals are most helpful to other users when mentioned in a thread title

There is a difference between deleting clear reposts of exactly the same deal <and> having suggested guidelines of what details to include when posting a deal.   Nobody is suggesting threads should be deleted if they don't adhere to strict guidelines, but there is nothing wrong with suggesting certain details be included that would be helpful to other users, particularly less seasoned ones.

“about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. BOILER UP!! Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"

Saipan
Deal Expert

@Rickibotta

I agree.

Visibility is important. Posting a deal in an existing thread and giving it a detailed description is not the same as posting in the main forum. 

This is why I will create new threads and then cite existing threads for reference. That way all pertinent information is connected. 

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@Saipan 

Best of both worlds, innit?

0 Likes

Dean

@Saipan 

Your credit delays comments reminded me of how searching can be a problem when posts have abbreviations or uncommon names. Without proper names in the post, it’s possible to miss relevant threads. A simple fix would be to use tags and labels but those seem to be ignored by most posters. Properly identifying posts helps users search for relevant deals when preparing to go shopping. A good example of that is in the same thread I posted earlier.

https://community.ibotta.com/t5/deal-stacking/free-tiny-tate-s-cookies-at-publix/m-p/101542#M17606

Helpful Links
Ibotta | Help Center | Contact Info

0 Likes