cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expiration dates?

FelskyNY
Deal Master

So we've talked about yogurt expiration dates, more recently pickles, as well as cereal etc.  So, I just had salad and my dressing expired April 2021.  Did I use it?  YEP   Did I throw it out after I used it? NOPE, put it right back on the shelf.  Then I noticed that there is some expired BBQ sauce (we'll use it eventually).

Just curious what everyone else would do?  and what else do you eat past expiration date.  I recently found a Clio bar that expired a month ago, it was buried in the back - did I eat it? YEP

22 Replies

Re: Expiration dates?

mom2furkids
Deal Ambassador

@FelskyNY I would (and have) done the exact same thing! I have BBQ sauce in my fridge right now that's over a year old and tastes and looks fine. I've been using the same bottle of A-1 sauce for YEARS and it's fine. I always try to eat the oldest stuff first, but things do get overlooked. My mayo's best by date is 2-26-21. I made spinach dip at Thanksgiving with it and shared it with my extended family and no one got sick, so clearly it's fine as well! Even pain medicine works past it's date. I rarely take anything unless I've been in pain for at least 24 hours, so a bottle of ibuprofen or acetaminophen last me forever. The morning after I got my first Covid vaccine, I woke up with a low grade temp and body aches, so I dug out my bottle of Tylenol that "expired" back in 2011. I figured it may be less effective but wouldn't hurt me. Within an hour I was back to normal, so it clearly hasn't lost much effectiveness anyway!

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@mom2furkids I'm with you.  And how about toothpaste - I like to donate from my stockpile, so when I see it's expired, I keep that for me, and donate the newer "fresher" products.  I had a bunch of cereal bars that were expiring in a few months, so I made sure to donate those before they went bad.  It was pretty much the "grillo" conversation that made me look at my salad dressing today. Mayo lasts forever.  Just be careful with some of the laundry detergents, because those tend to separate.  I do not use powder pods because those get hard and leave little bits of powder all over the clothing when they get "old".

Marethundsabre
Skilled Saver

I have no problem eating expired products. Expiration dates are sell by dates. Just because something is expired doesn't mean that it's spoiled. As long as it tastes normal and doesn't look spoiled or rancid, then I eat it. I actually have homemade canned goods that are several years old in the basement and I open one from time to time and they still are good. I have had a few expired products that didn't look or smell good so I did throw those out. 

mom2furkids
Deal Ambassador

@FelskyNY I have also used toothpaste past it's date. Outside of the first little bit that comes out (it seems to get hard) the rest of the tube was fine. I have not yet had an issue with laundry detergent separating (at least that I've noticed), but that's something I'll for sure watch out for. I recently bought a chocolate cherry Core bar at Walmart and forgot to check the date. It had expired back in May, but it tasted fine. And I just finished off a box of Nature Valley nut butter bars that had a best by date of last Jan or Feb. Still tasty! LOL

Zombie
Core Shopper

@FelskyNY I regularly use things past the expiration date. So does my family. Although I occasionally do have to strongly suggest that certain things be thrown out. 2 nights ago, my dad was complaining that he waited too long to start using lotion again this year "I never remember to use it preventatively" so it was probably gonna make his skin "burn". That concerned me so I asked to see the lotions he plans on using, did a sniff-test, and told him that it smelled like rancid oil. The bottle was yellowing too lol.

The sniff-test works well for most things, but I have noticed that deodorants can develop texture issues if used much past expiration - some of the soft solid types dry out and crumble instead of spreading.

I am also wary of using eye drops past expiration - talked to a medical professional who told me that a few months should be fine, but strongly advised against using anything past 6 months. "Damage to your skin can be reversed; damage to your eyes is much more difficult to fix." 

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@Zombie I'm definitely with you as far as the sniff test.  Or for example with lotion, you can tell by the consistency.  As with eyes, I am really careful.  My mom has glaucoma which went partially untreated during the pandemic and she lost vision in her left eye, so we are SO on top of eye related issues. I wouldn't play games with the eyes either.

0 Likes

Sebsa
Deal Sharer

Products have expiration dates??? 😜

TXbelle
Rewards Advocate

@FelskyNY @Zombie 

I buy eye drop singles so the drop is never contaminated. But I still don't want them to get old. I don't wear contacts but I have allergies so I need to "rinse" my eyes. 

0 Likes

Leistla
Saver

Every once in a while I go through the cabinets and gather up any past or close dated foods.  I put them together in one spot and challenge myself to make meals using items from the “suspect food group”.   Sometime we meet the challenge but not always.  😀