cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Expiration dates?

Francoise
Skilled Saver

@FelskyNY 

I'd give your post 10, no, 100 likes if I could! Expiration dates are, at best, a guide. In reality, most of them are flat out lies.

The only thing I really don't like or consume past expiration is milk in plastic containers. Any other dairy is fair game. With fresh meat, I pay attention to how it looks and smells near its stated expiration. Bread and the like I put in the fridge or freezer to keep mold from forming. Most other groceries I pretty much don't worry about and enjoy benefitting from past-date clearance pricing. I'll buy expired cage-free eggs over "fresh" regular eggs for the same price any day of the week. I have 6 or 7 dozen right now.  To my knowledge I've never made myself or anyone sick with the foods I prepare.

When in doubt, I let my eyes (is the container bulging or the contents filled with bubbles?) and my nose be my guide. I've got decade-old peanut butter in my pantry cuz I forgot I had it as well as many containers of both sour cream and cottage cheese in my garage fridge due to a couple great, recurring ibotta deals I was able to stack with coupons. 

At the risk of my response turning into a rant... Unprepared food waste has hovered around 40% nationally for years. I don't need to say how totally unacceptable that is.

Rickibotta
Deal Master

I don't want to go all in on my rant yet, but I am currently chewing gum from 2014 and 2015..........lol.

And I had no ill effects from the Grillo's that I ate a few days ago.  It had been expired 4 months.  They had not been opened, and I reckoned they would be okay since they had white vinegar.  Although, as I finishing off the pickle juice, I stumbled onto something undesirable.  It was a rando piece of plastic, with a pointy end,  that looked like it was from the pickle carton, but it wasn't from the one I was consuming,  It was complete.

“2022 New Year's Resolution: It’s time for me to be doing what I have been doing and that time is every day .”

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@Francoise  I am so with you - I buy "short dated" meat all the time.  I look for the "yellow labels" and grab those up.  The deli department has them all the time for the prepared food and they are 50-75% off.   As long as it smells good, I'm buying it. 

Has anyone ever bought deli ends?  My Shoprite has them.  (I really shouldn't give out this secret.).  They sell the ends of the meat for .99/Lb (at least my store does) and you can buy them buy the pound. It's usually a mixture of turkey and meat, and I just chop them up for my salad. 

I grew up going to the discount Pepperidge farm store and each color line through the UPC was further marked down.  Red for 50%, Blue for 75% etc.  My dad was a teacher, but times were tough.

Bagel stores - after 3 PM the bagels are discounted wyb a dozen, or they have bagged ones for $1.50.  It's actually cheaper to buy 6 bagels and ring them as 1/2 dozen than to buy 5.

Food waste is such a shame.

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@FelskyNY 

My kroger sometimes does the ends for ground beef @ 99 cents / lb.  I find it is worthless for burgers because it won't stay together.  I will get it for tacos or anything other than patties.

“2022 New Year's Resolution: It’s time for me to be doing what I have been doing and that time is every day .”
0 Likes

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@Rickibotta Add a little of this and a little of that and make meatloaf or meatballs.  Sloppy Joe's, ziti, lasagna - ground beef at .99/lb, I'd be scooping that up too.

0 Likes

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@FelskyNY  

They don't bind.  Pretty much only good for crumbled ground beef 

0 Likes

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@Rickibotta  Even with added bread and egg crumbs? or add a little ground veal or pork?

sigh - sloppy Joe's or taco/nachos

0 Likes

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@FelskyNY 

Sadly, not with a dozen eggs or cannister of panko.  I use it for hamburger helper, spaghetti sauce, tacos, etc. It gets used for sure.  No worries there.

0 Likes

Sebsa
Deal Sharer

I'm not even sure I've ever tasted unexpired salad dressing, yogurt, or protein/snack bars. When I stock up on these with iBotta deals, I know I'm committing to them for the long haul. I'll look thru the stock at the grocery store and choose the items with the furthest expiration dates, because I know I probably won't eat them until long after that. 

And if a brand doesn't hold up after expiration, I take note. For example, I don't drink dairy milk so when iBotta has deals on non-dairy milk, I stock up. Well, one brand became lumpy and separated after expiration so it goes on my no-buy list. Granted, that's probably unfair of me, (it certainly isn't the company's fault I'm choosing to use it after expiration), but I live an "expired lifestyle" and shop accordingly! 😄

Francoise
Skilled Saver

@Sebsa Loving your term "expired lifestyle"! 😆 And the attitude that goes with it! 👍