cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Food shortages predicted - are you doing anything to prepare?

SaverGirl67

Truly curious because this community is so very good at making little stockpiles and getting extras to donate - I keep hearing about the drastic food shortages they’re predicting and was wondering if you are increasing your stockpile or buying extras or maybe even donating less?  

Overall I haven’t done anything different yet - but I am thinking about hitting Sam's club for a big bag of rice since I don’t have much on hand (but I’d usually wait to find a deal). I’m drowning in pasta and oats, flours and honey and tea (things with really long expiration dates) and my freezer is full as always but maybe I should be doing more?

I think I’m just lacking a real sense of urgency. - so let me know your thought or plans to ride this out. Thanks

Happy Shopping 🛒 

27 Replies

Re: Food shortages predicted - are you doing anything to prepare?

Francoise
Skilled Saver

I've been stocking up on cat food. I'd like to say it's because of the ongoing pet food shortages, but really it's for these two reasons:

• The awesome $2.00/4 Fancy Feast Petites manuf. coupon (my cat's favorite cat food brand) that came out in the saver insert; and 
  • The fact that my petite 5lb cat is a total pig. (Not literally.) I wish I could eat the way she does and not gain an ounce. (Not to worry, this isn't because of some medical condition.)

But seriously, great topic for discussion, @SaverGirl67. Non-perishables I have stocked to overflowing as usual, so I'm concentrating on meat mostly. I've been taking serious advantage of a great sale on T-bone steaks and fresh cod at one of my grocery stores as well as chicken at another store this week. Last week it was salmon and shrimp. Obviously, we love our seafood around here. My vacuum sealer, as well as my husband's smoker, have been seeing a lot of use.

I've actually been giving away tons of ice cream I've acquired free or nearly free to make room in my garage freezer for meat and fish. It's shocking, really. This continuing grocery shortage is messing with my priorities! 😄

Jeninvegas
Deal Sharer

I'm in the process of gathering overstock to donate because I have been wanting to donate anyways and since I've got so much stuff from ibotta deals that isn't getting used here, I'm adding some of that, too! I've gotten a little more selective on what I buy with ibotta lately since I feel like I'm spending too much time and money on it. Many of the items end up being things we don't care much for, but it's always nice to get cash back on items we regularly use, try something new for free, and get a bonus. As for stocking up, since the last time when it was hard to get toilet paper and water, I've always kept a little extra around. Cat food is a must because the cat will only eat one specific brand and flavor, but if worse comes to worst, if she gets hungry enough I guess she'd eventually eat whatever we fed her but of course she's our family member and we want to keep her happy. 🙂

cheryl_123
Core Shopper

I wonder if the recent reduction of "good" offers on Ibotta that some in the community have commented on (me included) is an indicator of possible impending food shortages. Since the pandemic I've experienced chronic shortages of a rotating selection of food staples in my area like flour, olive oil, beans, pasta. Because of that (and my lumpy income being self employed) I have developed the habit of having at least one extra of the basics on hand, trying to acquire them when there's store sales, coupons, rebates or other deals. Maybe I'll start working to have two extra of things on hand.

amyinoh
Rewards Guide

I’ve always been one to but extra of things when they are on sale and there’s a coupon or good deal. And it’s gotten even more so with Ibotta. So I have quite a bit of things stored up. I’ve been trying to eat through things, but I’m not making much progress. So, I think I’ll be good. Same for toiletries, cleaning supplies, and paper products. Especially after having the Covid TP shortage, I always keep even more on hand.  I do worry about my cat’s food and litter, so I’m going to start stocking up on that. The shelves seem to be fuller in the last couple of weeks for the cat food, so that’s good. 

KM06
Core Shopper

Lately I've been buying things that I know we will eat or use to help complete bonuses.  So we have a stockpile of frozen, cleaning and personal products.  When I find things at the store that they have not had in months I buy those items also, even if it means paying full price.  With prices going up and package sizes getting smaller, sales and ibotta have helped.  

Weino
Saver

I can't believe what I'm reading. If almost everyone tries to stockpile more, then the food shortage will be a self-fulfilling prophecy for everyone who didn't stockpile. I'm not going to do anything different except I'll donate more when I find good deals. I believe in taking only what you need but I guess this runs counter to the common American philosophy of looking out only for yourself to the detriment of everyone else.

mmoore01
Ultimate Saver

I have been lucky to get most items that we need.  Pasta is one of the items that seems to have empty shelves frequently, but I usually buy two boxes when some finally come in.

But I do stock up when Ibotta has something that we use.  I bought a bunch of Goya black beans a couple months ago when it was in Ibotta.  I now have plenty of Hefty storage bags, Glad Wrap and Vanity Fair napkins.

I literally have less than 10 containers of yogurt in the fridge and NO Ibotta yogurt offers that are available in my area.  I am hoping something will come up soon.  I haven't seen any shortages of yogurt at my stores, so I am hopeful.

I have plenty of sour cream and shredded cheese.   

I don't know if it is a shortage, but I have not been able to find Godiva chocolate at my Walmarts.  They discontinued the Dove candy bars and brought in Godiva, but that lasted about a month and then nothing.

I do agree with @Weino that rumors of shortages can cause shortages due to hording.  I usually only buy what I need.  Even with Ibotta, I only buy one of most offers and hope it comes back in a day or so to buy again.

Weather
Deal Sharer

Stock up, don't stock pile. I was in my local wm and saw a woman taking all the eggs. Literally filling a cart, leaving none for anyone else. What should you do when you seem to be the only one bothered by this behavior should you say something? Last time I watched a man take all the chicken breast. The only packages that he had poked a hole in.

mmoore01
Ultimate Saver

I saw someone fill their shopping cart full of the $1.99 a pound chicken breasts at Walmart.

My theory is she was an owner of a small restaurant and she was buying it for the business.  I suspect it was cheaper and easier to get than from a service that delivers.