cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IBOTTA SHOULD DO THIS!

Luv2shop73
Saver

I get home from shopping this evening, and after I submit my receipt I see the amount it brings my account to...$19.ish?! Now, while shopping I scanned the products in the store just to make sure they matched the rebate. So now that I'm at home with less than $1.00 cash out, I'm furious at myself for not buying 1 extra item. CLICK!!! Wouldn't it be super helpful, convenient and cool if Ibotta added an automated calculator to the app? Pull up you My List for the store your in and your current total in your account is listed above. As you scan an item to see if it's a match it automatically adds that amount to your total to show what you will have if that item is purchased. They could also have a separate column that would calculate that shopping trips rebate amount. If anyone from ibotta is reading this, I would really appreciate it if you could send this idea up the ladder.

Happy shopping!

0 Likes
5 Replies

Re: IBOTTA SHOULD DO THIS!

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@Luv2shop73

So, I was an IT project manager for many, many years, and I am merely adding my perspective on your proposed enhancement as it may get treated IRL.

First of all,,when at the store, you are in query mode, It isn't an active session accumulating data that it passes back to you.   You scan an item and it simply tells you match or no match.  What you are proposing would completely change the experience to one of an actual session, accumulating data.  That would be a huge pivot.

Also, what percentage of people cash out as soon as they hit $20?  That probably is the only real point of such a change.    Ibotta obviously doesn't want people to.  That is why there are seemingly hundreds of people locked out of their accounts for withdrawing too early or too often.  So they likely would not want to encourage even more people to cash out as soon as they hit the threshold.

Plus such a change doesn't really fix a problem.  You will hit $20 next trip.  Adding this functionality would complicate all their code, opening themselves up to future technical issues.   On my most recent project I managed, we referred to such proposed changes as netnegs, because the end result of a change would be more negative than positive for the system as a whole

Application change requests go thru triage, and requested changes impacting a smaller number of people almost never get implemented if they are adding no perceived real benefit.

And at the end of the day someone would pitch this idea, describe the stated problem, and someone would ask what happens then.  And the request submitter would say 'well they would hit $20 the next time', and then it would either be rated netneg or maybe be given a low priority and given a request number, knowing it would never be implemented.

Understand that I am not attacking you or your idea, but I am offering some insight to the technical side of it.   I am not immune either.  From the beginning of this forum, I always lobbied for having folders specific to perhaps the most popular 10 to 20 stores, so I could select a KROGER folder instead of having to scroll through posts from the many stores I don't even have.  That idea was not the direction ibotta staff preferred, .so it did not get implemented.  That doesn't mean it isn't a good idea, but it just may not be the vision of the application.

“2022 New Year's Resolution: It’s time for me to be doing what I have been doing and that time is every day .”

Luv2shop73
Saver

I have absolutely no computer programming/IT tech like skills at all. That being said, thank you for the insight to what a proposal like this would intel. When I was headed for the checkout out at Krogers I had no idea that I was that close to $20.00 in my ibotta account. I thought it was going to leave me about $5.00 from it. Since I scanned my items with the app in the store, I thought WOW, if I that visual would have been rite there I would have snatched one more item. But oh well, guess I'll keep putting pen to paper.

Thanks for the info!

0 Likes

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@Luv2shop73 

As I said, this was just my opinion and thoughts.  People used to pay a lot of money for my opinions, but there are many, ex wives included, who would not give me 2 cents for it........lol.  Your opinion is just as right as anyone else's so, you never know.  Maybe they will take your suggestions and run with it

If you have never cashed out before, you should consider waiting until you have reached $20, and then wait a whole week if you can before attempting to withdraw.  A lot of people cashing out for the first time try to withdraw too soon and then their account gets locked, and then you have top open a ticket and wait for them to unlock it etc.    In the very least, they are suggesting you wait at least two days after reaching $20, but I think waiting a whole week once you reach $20 would be better. 

“2022 New Year's Resolution: It’s time for me to be doing what I have been doing and that time is every day .”
0 Likes

kynuna
Core Shopper

So  being very old school, whenever I’m shopping I keep a running tally of my purchases in a notepad. I always write my current Ibotta account balance at the top of the page, and then I have 3 columns below: P (price), Q (coupon), R (rebate), and I keep track of that as I shop. Then when I total everything I know exactly how much I need to pay at the register, how many Ibotta rebates I should be receiving, the amount I will be receiving from Ibotta, and my account balance at the end. 
I like doing it this way because it keeps me on track with my budget, and I know immediately if I’m missing any rebates. 

Dean

Why buy more than you need? Personably, I make a shopping list and match the Ibotta offers. If the final rewards tally is close to $20, meh. I can wait until the next shopping trip. It doesn't make sense to try to find another offer to match something I wasn't planning on buying.

Posting tip: Add viewable photos using the toolbar's camera option.