cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prices, Prices Everywhere, Not A Deal To Be Found....

mickootay
Skilled Saver

I picked up a cannister of Folger coffee yesterday at Walmart without checking the price on the shelf tag. 4.00 increase! Are you Piggly Wiggly-ing me around! How can they explain an almost 60% price increase? Okay, I faithfully flunked math, but you all get the point!

My question is, with all the obscene price increases, for groceries,  and gas, are any of you changing your spending habits? Prices are increasing on almost everything,  but coupon/rebate values are the same. Is it worth it to any of you to go after a 'deal'? Are there any great deals still available? Do any of you have second thoughts on spending money on things you don't need/want/donate? 

6 Replies

Re: Prices, Prices Everywhere, Not A Deal To Be Found....

cheryl_123
Core Shopper

I only started seriously deal hunting about a year ago, which has made me super aware of product availability and pricing. I am definitely shopping the grocery sales more and planning my meals more around what's on sale and/or what I can get a deal on through Ibotta and other apps because of inflated pricing. Also, rather than cash out my Ibotta money like I did last year I've been buying gift cards to help defray increased costs and to help me achieve Ibotta bonuses.

Francoise
Skilled Saver

@mickootay Great topic! To me, price increases definitely seem to have reached another level now that WM is doing it too.

Thinking twice before buying items you don't need or want is always good practice, in my book, whatever their cost. And, while donating freebies is great, I'm beginning to wonder if 50 cents, for example, is better spent by being given directly to a food pantry as a monetary donation. After all, they can leverage 50 cents much better than I'll ever be able to, especially now.

Lately, shopping has begun to feel like gambling. When I go to pick up something I already buy regularly, I wonder, will the price have gone up? If I find it hasn't, should I buy a bunch before it does? And if the price has already increased, I regret not having bought more... Which all leads me to question whether I may be contributing to the problem since I'm artificially increasing demand by stockpiling... Double or nothing?... Should I, shouldn't I?

How is it that things can seem so uncertain while, at the same time, be playing out as expected?

mmoore01
Deal Master

Our family has bought chicken breasts for years at Walmart in the family size.  The price has been consistently $1.99 a pound.

My Walmart just raised the price to $2.28 a pound.

It may still be a good deal, but it is harder to plan meals when our main staples are going higher, but our pay is not.

Unfortunately, I have never heard of inflation going negative, so most of the old prices are gone for good.  Does anyone remember when Kraft Mac and Cheese was 4 for $1.00?  Kiss those days good-bye.

Francoise
Skilled Saver

@mmoore01 Same on chicken breast price increasing here. It went from $1.99/lb to $3.59/lb overnight. Literally! You could still see yesterday's tag underneath the new one.

A few weeks ago I decided to stop buying meat and concentrate on consuming what was in my over-stuffed freezers... I really couldn't have picked a worse time. Lol.

kynuna
Core Shopper

Like many couponers/rebate shoppers, I’ve got a mental price point for most items my family uses. With the crazy inflation we’re seeing at the moment it’s becoming increasingly difficult to hit those price points and we’re having to make adjustments and substitutions. We’ve always shopped the weekly sales and changed meals accordingly. When boneless chicken is too expensive we’ll buy split breast on sale, (these are great cooked in the oven). And cooking more soups and stews to use leftovers and cheaper cuts of meat. If the worst comes to worst there’s always ‘puftaloons’, (a staple of my childhood), where you mix self-rising flour and water to a dough and fry in hot oil 😀😀

DanyelN
Skilled Saver

@Francoise and @mmoore01 Sadly chicken is not just inflation pricing.  I read last month that a bad case of bird flu was decimating hatcheries all over the US so both chicken and eggs were about to skyrocket in price. 

So far I am limiting my "try new things" attitude and not chasing every deal.  That keeps me out of the stores and puts a serious dent in my impulse spending.  For instance, My WWB is $5/18 and after my usual shopping was done yesterday I only had 8 of those offers.  It has been a struggle last night and today to stop myself from hunting things to buy just to complete that bonus.  Since I already have more food than I can eat at home it really is helping my budget.