cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vacuum Sealers

Skim
Saver

Just ordered my moms groceries and her bacon went from $4.75 last month to $7.15 as of today. 
I think it might be time to purchase  a vacuum sealer. We end up wasting a lot with just the two of us and that has to change. 

Does anyone here use a vacuum sealer?  Did you purchase it and not use it as much as you hoped ?  Any brand recommendations or tips ?  This will be my first time purchasing one. Thanks ! 

10 Replies

Re: Vacuum Sealers

Xiao
Deal Ambassador

@Skim  I also noticed that the price of bacon has been creeping up lately, along with everything else.
I don’t have one of those vacuum sealers but have a suggestion for a cheaper alternative. I always portion out bacon (a couple of strips), wrap each serving in aluminum foil, put them in a ziplock bag (get as much air out as possible), and freeze them. They freeze well for a long time, although they don’t last long in our household because we go through them within a month or less. No more wasted bacon this way!🥓😋
I prefer to thaw them first but if not enough time, you can cook/microwave them straight from the freezer.  

cheryl_123
Saver

@Skim I have a FoodSaver vacuum sealer (model FM 2000) and use it all the time. We are a small family of three so we often vacuum seal smaller portions of meat after we buy it, (including bacon) then freeze. We cut the packs of bacon in half through the original packaging and leave it in that packaging inside the sealer bag, which makes vacuum sealing easy. I also like to buy rotisserie chicken, shred it then freeze portions for later use in soups, enchiladas, etc. We cook a big pork shoulder once in a while and freeze vacuum sealed portions of pulled pork. It's good for freezing fresh berries--just freeze berries on a tray first then seal in a vacuum bag.

I think vacuum sealers are great tools for smaller households that like to buy in bulk or find themselves with too-big portions for one meal. Vacuum sealing prevents freezer burn and saves space.

I prefer the bags over rolls and buy the bags on Amazon as I have found that is the cheapest place to buy them. 

OBSHOP
Super Saver

@Skim 

You can't go wrong with a Food Saver brand. No doubt about it this is the best kitchen appliance I have purchased in 7 years. 

I also have used my Food Saver vacuum sealer to protect my emergency documents. 

I purchased mine from Sam's club. 

Screenshot_20210904-164149_Google.jpg

Paying full price is optional

DanyelN
Core Shopper

My parents love their FoodSaver and use it regularly because they like to shop at Sam's.  They use it especially on meat so they can portion out enough just for the two of them in a package.  A coworker who is a relatively recent empty nester uses hers to save grilled meats and then reheat right in the bag in boiling water.  When they have them, Sam's seems to have good prices on the units.  Also check out QVC, when they have them it usually comes with a selection of rolls and bags which makes it a little more expensive but an overall better deal. 

Once you have the unit, watch CDC, they put out printable coupons about twice a year for the bags.  If you are willing to wait, sometimes they also put out a coupon for $10 or $20 off the unit itself, which might make a good deal at Wal Mart or target.

Skim
Saver

Thank you so much for the help everyone!
So, I guess Food Saver is the one to buy. I wish I had a decent wholesale club near me but the local one here is pretty useless. I think our Sams lasted a few years - tops.  Go figure! 
Thanks again !

SaverGirl67

@Skim   The best place to get a food saver  and the bags that go with it - is directly from the company 

https://www.foodsaver.com/appliance_consumer_journey.html

They have a Q&A that will help you choose the best model for you. They’re also running a special right now if you buy 2 rolls of bags you get 2 free. 

Also if you sign up for their email you’ll get a 15% off coupon. 

Hope this helps. 

Merry
Saver

I am so glad you asked about this.  I had been thinking about this too.  I think I’m just gonna go for it after reading these reviews.  Thank you to all.

OBSHOP
Super Saver

@Skim 

I was out at Costco this morning. These were on sale this morning.  I picked up the box of sealer bags. The machine is $149.99

20210907_102048.jpg

Paying full price is optional

Skim
Saver

Thank you everyone !

I wish that I had a Costco or Sams Club near me but all I have locally is a BJ’s wholesale and I’m finding it more and more useless as the years go by. I’d LOVE a Costco.  

I’ll let you know what I end with.  I appreciate all the help! 

0 Likes