cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When the Love of Couponing Goes Wrong (News Article Link)

Cheeriomaryo
Deal Sharer

This news article is from my neck of the woods. It’s a bizarre story of coupon fraud:

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/virginia-beach/coupons-in-every-crevice-fbi-shares-more-info-ab... 

9 Replies

Re: When the Love of Couponing Goes Wrong (News Article Link)

Loves2Save
Skilled Saver

Wow, that’s some operation. Some of these manufacturers should hire her as a consultant. I use legit coupons and they don’t always go through and she made fake ones that do! 

TXbelle
Deal Ambassador

@Loves2Save 

You stated exactly what I was thinking after reading the article. I use coupons.com but only recently. I usually don't have issues with the cash back but sometimes with the printed ones. Funny thing is, I go to a manufacturer's website to get a coupon and Walmart almost never accepts them. I prefer getting store apps that let me have digital coupons. If they don't work, the store makes it right immediately. 

Since Ibotta isn't a coupon app but a rebate one, I don't worry about not accepting an item (as long as I verify the barcode before purchase).

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@Cheeriomaryo  it sounds like that movie that just came out!  Crazy the amount of "clipping" services out there.

Cheeriomaryo
Deal Sharer

@FelskyNY 

I had to look the movie up - it’s totally the same thing! I honestly didn’t know people took it to that extreme.

0 Likes

Janet1964
Super Saver

Wow - is all I can say.

0 Likes

MeLMeL11
Skilled Saver

Ridiculous.....it's trash like this that make it more difficult for the rest of us who do the right thing. There have been so many changes to coupon policies at stores and the paper coupons limits and amounts over the last decade .....and mainly because of people like this.

They should keep them locked up for a while! And where are they going to get 30 million 🙄

....working in retail and having been scammed by this type of stuff.... it truly ticks me off!

So glad they caught these pieces of trash!

DanyelN
Core Shopper

UGH!  People like this are why stores side eye the 4 or 5 coupons I use when I shop and I hate it.  Thankfully I have a great rep at my local Publix.  I recently went through a line where they were training a new cashier and the trainer told her, you can always trust her coupons.  Glad that is the rep I have in my favorite store. 

Rickibotta
Deal Master

Yes, it is people like this that will eventually eliminate all printed coupons

“2022 New Year's Resolution: It’s time for me to be doing what I have been doing and that time is every day .”

Memega
Deal Sharer

Last week Acme was giving me such a hard time about my printed $1 off any Kellogg’s cereal from Kellogg’s family rewards. I was told they don’t take printed coupons. I showed them their policy from their website. It was weird bc 2 coupons worked, but one didn’t (I believe it said up to 4 per transaction). A manager came down that I didn’t know existed and said he couldn’t take them. I explained how I got them from cashing in points from buying & scanning my receipts with Kellogg’s products   He asked to see emails, so I pulled up an email with you earned XXX POINTS and then the email with the coupon redemption. He said ok this one time, but don’t try it again. They work every time at ShopRite, so I don’t get it.

0 Likes