cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When was the last time you requested a better rate?

What-Shot
Super Saver

I noticed our cable/internet bill had a remarkable increase last month....so, in accordance with my thrifty-nature I jumped on chat to inquire if there's a different package with a lower rate that would satisfy me.

After discarding fluff we don't use and upgrading fluff we appreciate, we got our monthly bill down from $155 to $85...while increasing our internet speed and without losing any of the channels that are important to us! And it's NOT a promo plan that will expire in 3-months. It's a regular/permanent plan! 

We regularly do this for our cellphone plan, too. 

When was the last time you requested a "better rate" for something? What was it? How did it work our for you? 

~ibotta.like.you.mean.it~
10 Replies

Re: When was the last time you requested a better rate?

OBSHOP
Deal Expert

@What-Shot 

I normally do that whenever current contacts expire.  I have learned to bypass the the agent and request the loyalty department for my perks.  Longevity has benefits with the big companies. 

Paying full price is optional

What-Shot
Super Saver

Now I'm thinking! Errrr....orrrr....Good Idea. @OBSHOP!  I'll have to add that to my bag of tricks next time around. 

~ibotta.like.you.mean.it~
0 Likes

Xiao
Deal Ambassador

@What-Shot  I absolutely LOVE these topics!
So, I used to do this with my cable/internet provider, Comcast (now Xfinity). I had to put it in my physical calendar (prior to smart phones and online calendars) to remind myself to call them every x months to negotiate the better rate. 
Now, the only utilities we pay on our own are electric and cell phones - the rest is included in our monthly assessment. 
Earlier this year, we switched the cell carrier - didn’t even bother calling the previous carrier because I knew they couldn’t beat the new carrier’s offer. There were some hiccups initially but so glad we switched. Saving about $8/month and it now includes unlimited data, which we didn’t have before, and also two new phones and Netflix for FREE!

Skim
Saver

That’s incredible. Want to call mine for me because I’m awful at that stuff!

Unless I want one of those cable, internet and phone deals they couldn’t care less.  The bill keeps getting higher, yet my channels keep disappearing  one-by-one.  I feel like I’m paying them $130+ a month to watch commercials.  

cweiner31
Core Shopper

I have 2 stories that did not go as well as expected:

My cable and internet bill kept creeping up. Finally when it got up to $192/month for cable and dvr on 1 tv and internet plus they kept removing channels "to keep costs low" I asked if they could lower it and they said no, that was the best rate. So quitting was an easy decision.

Second, car insurance. I turned in my leased car in January and went 5 months without one because I didn't need one. Got a new one in June and my insurance went up to $570 for 6 months (I had been paying about $400 before on a much more expensive car) because my insurance had lapsed (well duh, I didn't have a car for 5 months, of course it lapsed). They said call back in 60 days after I've had insurance for 60 days. So I did that this past weekend and they said rates have skyrocketed because of increased accidents and if I wanted to rewrite the policy now, it would be about $1,050 for 6 months. No thanks! I got a couple of other quotes and that $570 seems like a bargain now.

OBSHOP
Deal Expert

@cweiner31 

I am pondering cutting all ties with my cable company. When was the last time you looked at your bill to see the breakdown of charges taxes and fees just too many.  Seem like the best alternative is to go with high-speed internet and a streaming service.  Now for as insurance their are options available to help control cost such as the amount of the deductible, safety features on vehicle, address, parking, and annual usage. With so many insurance providers around you really have options. 

Being a consumer is a full time job.  American  Corporations cannot outsource the American consumer we are here to stay.

Here on Ibotta we discuss deals and savings in the retail stores, but the savings strategies go beyond the grocery stores.  

Ask yourself, why should I pay full price when I have options and can save. 

I do believe to whomever you give your dollar to is to whom you empower.  

Paying full price is optional

Dean
Deal Ambassador

A couple of weeks ago, I called the electric provider and got a cheaper rate through one of their discount plans. I had signed up a few years ago, and noticed the rate going up at the start of the year. Finally got around to calling now that summer is driving up the bill. There's no charge and the only commitment is to sign up for a length of time. There's a $130 penalty for cancelling early but I've been with them for nearly 30 years and don't expect to change. I signed myself and my mother to 33 month plans with a rate of 7.4¢/kwh. I was paying over 11¢ and mom was paying over 12¢. This should help keep the bills down.

I don't want to name names, but if you want to save money on mobile phones, there are some other basic providers that can save you a lot depending on your needs. I currently pay $10/month and the features are plenty for me.

As for cable and internet, unfortunately most people are stuck with only a few providers in their area. My advice is to look for streaming alternatives to replace cable TV. But you may be stuck with your cable company to provide internet services. I suggest searching for cordcutters and reading up on the information about how to switch and save.

“Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs…”

mmoore01
Rewards Whiz

We had cable with Brighthouse.  Each time the price went up, I would call and the retentions department would find me a better rate.  Then Brighthouse changed to Spectrum.  They had no retention department.  No reductions of prices.  That was it.

We kept Internet with Spectrum since Spectrum had the best speeds for our area.  We don't have fiber in our neighborhood, so cable is the only option.

We signed up for a month trial of Direct Now, but then switched to YouTube TV.  The prices have gone up, but it is so much better.  We have four TV's hooked up with Roku Streaming Sticks and we can record ANY show and keep it for 9 months.  No DVR box that goes bad and everything is lost.  Lots of channels. 

I saved about $50 a month when we first switched.  I don't save as much now, but we made a decision that YouTube TV is the best streaming service for us.   

Xiao
Deal Ambassador

@Dean  After seeing your post, I made a note to check my electric bill. Finally, I had a chance to pull up my online bill and my rate is similar to your old rate - comes to about $0.12/kWh. I’m already enrolled in their discounted program but since switching to another provider is not an option, I’m going to ask for a free video consultation to see what else I can do to save more money. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

0 Likes