cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why do people avoid sale items?

mmoore01
Rewards Whiz

@TXbelle 

FYI...  You can edit your posts by selecting the "v' inside the circle at the top right of the post and then select Edit.  I believe we can edit our posts for up to 24 hours or so.

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@mmoore01 

It changes all the time.  Was initially 30 minutes.  Then 2 hours.  Then 24 hours.  Then 1 hour.  Not sure how long now.

[Edit:  looks like it may be 24 hours again. Because I was just able to edit something from 20 hours ago]

"about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. BOILER UP!! Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"
0 Likes

SaverGirl67

@mmoore01  @Xiao   It’s kind of amazing that people would choose to spend more to “appear” to have money. I sometimes forget that appearing wealthy is often more important to people than actually being wealthy.

So yes I’m sure a re-education seminar could help a lot of people. Lol. In the meantime I’ll limit my deal sharing to the boards and people who are actually looking to save money. (And it seems also love Spam) 😎

MelissaR
Skilled Saver

@OBSHOP   My nephew is very food sensitive.  So he would starve first before eating spam!

ThatGuy
Rewards Guide

@Be-Bop-A-Lula About 12 years ago when using coupons I had a cashier tell me, wow I never see men using coupons. Nowadays a comment like that wouldn't effect me. But back then, totally emasculating and made me never want to use a coupon again!

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@ThatGuy 

Sorry you went thru that.  She probably didn't even mean anything by it.

I still think men are in a big minority.  I haven't been since pandemic, but I used to get similar comments at a coupon trading group.  There were about 20 to 25 members and I was one of 2 men, and the other was there with his wife.

"about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. BOILER UP!! Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"

Tikiki
Core Shopper

@ThatGuy @Rickibotta 

“Real men use coupons!” 😉

@SaverGirl67  

Kind of related to this are the folks that refuse to return anything -and would never return anything and definitely never a food item. BONKERS! That’s why there’s so much awesome new stuff to be had at thrift stores! Wondering if y’all’s frugality extends to thrifting, yard sales, etc. 🤔 

Be-Bop-A-Lula
Super Saver

@ThatGuy Stereotypes suck. I always resented being told I shouldn’t do or want something because I was female.  The comments did occasionally sting, but most of the time it just made me more determined.  I’m glad you did not let an ignorant comment stop you.

SaverGirl67

@Tikiki   My side hustle is online used clothing resale. It’s good for my bank balance and the planet!  

I love a good thrift store and totally love keeping useful things out of the land fill. I am constantly amazed by the thing people donate without a second thought - but I’m very grateful that they don’t directly throw them away. And I don’t compete with “the poor”. I only shop the items that didn’t sell in the regular stores and are headed to the dump. There’s just so much it never ceases to amaze me. 

Tikiki
Core Shopper

@SaverGirl67 

Are you referring to the GW bins? 
I used to do the same. Got away from it because the “inventory” was taking over. Still shop thrift for almost all our clothes, housewares and furniture. We donate what we don’t use or need and keep the cycle going. Where are you located? If ever in PHX check out our stores - especially those benefitting charities, they are pretty good!